The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: Would you like to see these stocks on the Market?
Yes, I love 'em! 9 15.79%
Yes, I'm interested. 15 26.32%
I am interested. Convince me. 7 12.28%
No, you can keep them. 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2011, 11:40 PM   #51
Therealkoop

If theres one thing I hate its a shoddily crafted, rotted out old mosin nagant. Everytime I go to the range I see "that guy" with one, struggling to hit paper.

Im far from an elitist when it comes to what guns/brands to own, but I see no reason to own one of those piles of crap. Spend the extra money and get something respectable. If you are literally so poor that you must use a 50$ rifle to hunt with, then great and I wish you luck.

But if you are just amassing them because they are cheap, why?
Old September 30, 2011, 12:20 AM   #52
HKFan9

They are a decent cheap rifle one can compete in CMP competitions with.... there are shooting worlds outside of hunting there bud...

I have a Mosin... so maybe I am THAT guy... but I also have a safe full of old Sako's... and sub MOA "tactical" rifles that will print 1 hole at 100 yards.

The reason why I have the mosin.... because they are $50 to $100.... is there a reason NOT to have one.... Ammo is dirt cheap.... and most importantly...

I LIKE SPEAKING IN A BAD FAKE RUSSIAN ACCENT TO MY FRIENDS.

They are $1000 dollars worth of fun for only $50.

Not to mention if you put the bayonet on.. when your out of ammo... you have a handy war pike.

They are MORE accurate after consuming high amounts of Vodka *** JUST A JOKE, DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS**
Old September 30, 2011, 05:32 AM   #53
michael m

Quote:
Yesterday, 11:40 PM #51
Therealkoop
Im far from an elitist when it comes to what guns/brands to own, but I see no reason to own one of those piles of crap

I like my Mosin Nagant. It shoots low and to the left, but if you know your rifle you can allow for this. As wrote above ammo is cheap, and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Maybe people should not be gun snobs and let people enjoy the guns they want without people judging them.

Last edited by michael m; September 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old September 30, 2011, 07:56 AM   #54
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I realize that these stocks aren't everyone's cup of tea. But I'm also not forcing everyone to buy them with the proverbial gun to the forehead.

If it's not your style, great. Don't buy it. But it IS someone's else. I'm not too big of a fan of a tacticooled stock for a mil-surp rifle, but I gave it a draw up, liked the look, and posted to see if anyone else did. Obviously some do.

The price point is going to be set pretty cheap. I'm aiming for right around a c-note. Gives someone who isn't making enough for one of them newer tactical styled rifles a chance at another, cheaper, less modern substitute. Bear in mind, these rifles are tactical, too, they are battle rifles.

All I'm doing is giving someone who wants it a better look for their rifles. It's your money, do as you see fit. You can buy my stock, or you can go buy Boyd's, or you can keep yours plain. It's up to you. All I can do is convince you through design and function.
Old September 30, 2011, 11:09 AM   #55
tobnpr

Go for it!
I emailed Boyd's just a couple of weeks ago asking them to make their "Tacticool" stock for the Mosin.

I need a benchrest stock, and the ones they offer are more hunting style.
I'm getting ready to chop off the one I have, and use our Choate tactical stock as a template for the buttstock, and marry them together.

I do believe you could have some success with a tactical style, at the price point you mentioned.

Good luck with it!
Old September 30, 2011, 03:18 PM   #56
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Thank you! That's what I'm aiming for.
Old October 20, 2011, 04:39 PM   #57
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

For those of you who're still interested in this endeavor of mine, it has been decided that, through popular demand, that the SV-98 design will be the first one made.

And through some suggestions from a couple neighbors on THR, I've opened up a PayPal account to accept donations to get these stocks under-way. Now, I'm not asking for much, well, nothing at all, but it's a way you can show your support of the project and to help accelerate the process.

The ID on PayPal is: [email protected]

You don't have to give anything, but it's up to you if you would like to see a stock made-up and tested sooner rather than later. I'd also ask that you send a PM letting me know amount donated, if any, so I know who to thank.

I also set up a Facebook page for this stock endeavor. If you'd like to follow, here's the link:

LJ's Mil-Surp Stocks

Last edited by LJ-MosinFreak-Buck; October 20, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:26 PM   #58
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

And for those who lay money down at the start will get that amount in credit towards the stock of their choice, or towards engraving, what-have-you. Could go towards finishing... it's up to the customer. This would work great for those who want to get their dibs in on a stock first, because if I land myself a job before the cost of materials is reached through donations, those members who have donated will be refunded their donation, AND will be able to keep their credit towards their stock of choice. Sound fair enough?
Old October 20, 2011, 08:22 PM   #59
jhnrckr

You are a million miles from profit , be prepared to spend some serious money to take this project from MS Paint to on-shore fab.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:03 PM   #60
davery25

hows the progress of these going?
Old October 20, 2011, 11:25 PM   #61
shooter_john

Good luck, I hope these take off for you. I'm going to need a 1903 Springfield stock too... Just saying.
Old October 21, 2011, 03:19 AM   #62
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Davery25: That's why I'm holding these donations. Because I haven't been able to make any progress (hard times, no job), a guy on THR who's been helping me out a lot over on THR suggesting holding a donation. As soon as the donation get to where I can get the materials for it, it will take off from there.

Shooter John: I think an M1903 stock is in order... Don't have one to model after though, so eventually.
Old October 22, 2011, 04:08 PM   #63
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Hey guys, just to inform you all, over on the Surplus Rifle Forum, my thread was closed because:

Quote:
Deacon KC says:
This is locked until you can convince the Mods this is not a scam or fishing trip. Please put your real ideas together and forwared it to us. We are 100% behind anyone bringing forth good ideas for the firearms fraternity. Good luck in this endeavor.
To which I responded via PM:

Business Model:

I plan to bring forth various modernized, custom stocks for the Mosin Nagant, Mauser, and K31 rifles, among others down the road, giving customers a very affordable, yet high quality accessory that, in theory, will improve accuracy through proper bedding, barrel channel specifications, and numerous hours of R&D in making a bedding block that will fit all stocks made, regardless of which rifle you install this block to, using proprietary methods.

Due to my unemployment, this project was put on hold until I had the funds (a job) to pay for this. I have numerous people interested, and involved in the project. KAMAK, Savage1r, Gunnerboy, among others from The High Road (www.thehighroad.org) have helped me through various stages and ideas for this project, putting me where I am today. They've been a major inspiration to keep going, and it makes me feel good to have such support.

Due to being unemployed and being put on hold because of lack of funds, Savage1r PM'd (Private Messaged) me suggesting that I ought to create a PayPal account to accept donations from those who'd like to help speed the process along. I wasn't all for it, until I had discussed the donations idea with both him, and LoonWulf (another member on THR) via PM's, and we all came to the conclusion that I should turn their donations into credit towards a stock of their choice.

These donations are staying on PayPal until I'm ready to purchase the materials needed, but not until I get the express permission from ALL of those who donated. If they have a change of heart, it's that easy to issue a refund. I have absolutely no problem with that. It's their money, not mine. I will not touch these funds until I have the permission of the others. I still have the full balance on PayPal from the three donations that have been submitted so far.

I AM NO THIEF. I am a man of high morals, and I am not one to engage in shadowy endeavors. I have been as honest as can be about this project. I have told no lies, about my experience or intent. I am a responsible gun owner like the rest of us on this forum. I hope you can see that I am not out to hurt anyone through "fishing" and I assure you that this is no scam.

A appreciate the wish for good luck, as I'm going to need a lot of it in the near future. I am not planning to make this into a huge, million-dollar-a-year business. This is a side-job I have decided to pursue, and I'm glad, through the support I have recieved, that I decided to take this on. I'm not out to make a huge profit selling these stocks, just some money for a "Gun-Fund" of sorts. Some cash that I can set aside and use solely for future purchases, but that's only after I give the investors a good return on their investment, putting a percentage of their donations/starter funds either towards a stock, or to be transfered back via PayPal once able. I am a verified member on PayPal, and intend to stay in good standing with the Firearm Community.

Thanks for reading, with utmost sincerity,
LJ.

I hope this reply is suitable. It really sucks that I'm giving this everything I've got, and still getting burned.
Old October 22, 2011, 04:09 PM   #64
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Sorry I didn't mention anyone here. I've been spending a lot of time over on the high road
Old December 20, 2011, 07:43 PM   #65
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

UPDATE:

So I managed to get to Menard's to pick up some supplies. Here's the list:

10" Half-Round Bastard File- $6.38
3M Sandpaper, Very Fine (220 grit)- $2.17
3M Sandpaper, Fine (150 grit)- $2.17
3M Sandpaper, Medium (100 grit)- $2.17
3M Sandpaper, Course (60 grit)- $2.17
Rust-oleum Forest Green Camo Paint- $3.89
3/4" x 4' x 8' Birch Plywood, Veneer core- $44.97
Titebond III Wood Glue- $12.83

Coming to a total of $76.75.

Should be getting my start here pretty soon!
Old December 21, 2011, 07:42 AM   #66
sc928porsche

FYI. Richards Microfit will inlet almost any of their styles for the Mosin.
Old December 21, 2011, 08:11 AM   #67
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a camo laminate stock blank ( reads big block of camo laminate wood of the appropriate size to cut a stock out of ) I could donate towards building me an SV-98 stock if you want to try making me one, I'd pay for your labor ( provided it's realistic ) & provide the wood... you could test fit & make final actual measurements, as well as take some pictures... before sending me the stock... if you're interested...

BTW... it's funny, because I don't even have a Nagant right now, but would buy one & accurize it after getting the stock...

for the nay sayers about these rifles being junk, & inaccurate... I have an SKS that my buddy & I accurized that shoots 2" 10 shot groups at 200 yards with sardine can ammo... I'm quite sure that changing out the barrel to a fresh one, & proper stock fitment, along with some other possible mods, could turn the $100.00 Mosin into the tack driver my $89.00 SKS is right now
Old December 21, 2011, 01:45 PM   #68
upstate81

I see what your trying to do here and I think its a great idea. Your gearing this to the folks that buy a mosin because its a mosin and that is their motive not cause its a 100 dollar piece of russian pine and old tractor parts ol ivan slapped together. The fact is a lot of people including myself would love to see a nice piece of wood on their guns if it makes the gun shoot better so be it. Its for the mil surp owner and lover of those period rifles, not a person who wants a cheap shooter. Keep it up.
Old December 21, 2011, 02:07 PM   #69
TriumphGuy

I'm not much of a Nagant lover, but I wouldn't mind having a K31 with a more modern stock. Given that they shoot 1MOA without any attention, it's a heck of a good starting point. I could see having a K31 action re-chambered for .308 in one of these.
Old December 21, 2011, 03:01 PM   #70
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Quote:
sc928porsche:FYI. Richards Microfit will inlet almost any of their styles for the Mosin.
But Richard's Microfit doesn't offer an SV-98 styled stock.

Quote:
Magnum Wheel Man:
I have a camo laminate stock blank ( reads big block of camo laminate wood of the appropriate size to cut a stock out of ) I could donate towards building me an SV-98 stock if you want to try making me one, I'd pay for your labor ( provided it's realistic ) & provide the wood... you could test fit & make final actual measurements, as well as take some pictures... before sending me the stock... if you're interested...
Sure. I'll let you know when, and I'll send ya a PM at that time. I'm going to try on my wood so that way I don't booger up a piece that's been donated. I probably won't charge too much for labor, but I'll figure that in when I start working in to my materials. $76.75 isn't that bad for materials for 3-4 stocks. But that's before I go and get my bedding block/scope mount design built.

Quote:
Upstate81:
I see what your trying to do here and I think its a great idea. Your gearing this to the folks that buy a mosin because its a mosin and that is their motive not cause its a 100 dollar piece of russian pine and old tractor parts ol ivan slapped together. The fact is a lot of people including myself would love to see a nice piece of wood on their guns if it makes the gun shoot better so be it. Its for the mil surp owner and lover of those period rifles, not a person who wants a cheap shooter. Keep it up.
Thank you! I've dealt with a lot of nay-sayers saying that I was trying to accurize a POS, when people should be focusing on a more modern rifle to accurize. I'm sorry, but when I have the ability to put together a rifle that cost me a C-Note to acquire, the total amount of money put into the project isn't anywhere near as expensive as some of the other add-ons that more modern rifles have available.

It really isn't that hard to accurize a Mosin Nagant. And it's cheap. IMHO, the Mosin Nagant is the easiest rifle to accurize. Why? Because you can go a ~$2 trigger job that reduces trigger pull weight, creates a two-stage trigger, and reduces slop, and all you need is a washer and a paper clip (I managed this all for free, had the materials just laying around).

Bedding? No problem. Glass bedding is easy, because the inletting of the stock has a lot less cut outs than some of them could have. There's another easy modification.

UK-59 barrels? Another good modification that has a potential to being extremely accurate, along with Teludyne Tech's straight jacket (not sure about the cost with this one).

Then there's mojo sights and special front sights... The list goes on. And the funny thing is? You can look at the guy who has a $1500 dollar rifle that can be out-shot by a rifle who's total cost could reach about $400 dollars. Now how satisfying a day will that be when you see his rifle put to shame by a "POS?"

Quote:
TriumphGuy:
I'm not much of a Nagant lover, but I wouldn't mind having a K31 with a more modern stock. Given that they shoot 1MOA without any attention, it's a heck of a good starting point. I could see having a K31 action re-chambered for .308 in one of these.
K31 stocks will likely follow shortly after I get my foot in the door with the Mosins. They are extremely accurate rifles, and it's amazing what kind of accuracy they can get when they're "accurized," like they need anymore. But come on, who doesn't want a Sub-MOA K31? Or even a Mosin Nagant for that matter?
Old December 21, 2011, 08:30 PM   #71
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I'm going to be starting the build tomorrow. Will post pictures, and links to videos on YouTube. Wish me luck!
Old December 21, 2011, 09:42 PM   #72
rickyrick

Post #51 are you serious? That was the most gun snobby post I have ever seen.

I am a long, long long, long ways away from poor and I own one.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:59 PM   #73
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Gun snobbery will never end. It will always be there, as long as someone thinks that they, and what they own, is better than you and your possessions.
Old December 22, 2011, 05:23 PM   #74
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Okay, so I just got some work done, not as much as I'd like though. Batteries died in the jig saw.

I'm not too happy with the quality of the wood though, it's almost as if they hid the defects in the middle of the board. I'm still going to continue though, for R/D sake. I'll even test the stock under fire as well. Here are the pictures I took today:

And here's the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/hUzwGpFIAnQ

Will be doing more tomorrow.
Old December 22, 2011, 05:41 PM   #75
Magnum Wheel Man

my piece of wood is made for gun stocks & should be void free, & is thick enough that you won't have to glue any layers together...

Tags
custom , mosin nagant , mosin nagant accuracy