The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 12, 2008, 09:52 AM   #1
lbanks1271

tyring to find value of a gun

A friend of mine gave me a 38 smith and wesson special CTG with the serial number V 660146. I would like to some background about the gun, and is it of any value.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Moving to our 'research' forum.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:39 AM   #3
SDC

We're going to need more info, but the serial number suggests that you've got a "Victory" Model, a 38 Hand Ejector. These revolvers were made for US use in 38 Special, for UK use in 38 S&W, and a number of the 38 S&W versions were crudely-converted to 38 Special by reaming out the chambers for the longer but skinnier 38 Spl round. So, the value will depend on exactly what you have, but we don't have enough information to know that yet. Pictures would be a big help.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
RJay

Also, CTG is not a model, it's simply the abbreviation for cartridge.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Redneckrepairs

lbanks1271 Shopping the value of a gun is a lot like shopping the value of a car , you have to ask: Just what is it ? Just what is the condition ? What has someone done to change it from when it left the factory ? . To answer your Question tho its worth somewhere between $200 and $2000. As a S&W revolver its worth $200 or so for period parts . If its not a " tackle box " gun then more . If it is tied to a known name( say you can prove Ike or Churchill carried it ) then the sky is the limit . Without pics and or letters ill have to say its worth no more , and no less than you will take for it . If your confused and want the question of " What should i ask for this ? " answered then go to an online site such as gunbroker and sign up . Watch auctions and see what a similar pistol is selling for . Not the asking price , but the sale price .
Old December 17, 2008, 07:33 PM   #6
TEDDY

maybe

has it got the S&W logo on the side plate look close.the term crt has me suspecious.