The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 2, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
mxitman

Can't Decide on Which Suppressor for my P22

Can't Decide on Which Suppressor for my P22 I'm sure this gets hashed up all the time but I've been looking at reviews and videos of some of the Suppressors available and can't decide the difference other than cost for the GEMTECH Outback II and the AAC Pilot/Aviator.

They are aluminum w/steel threads and as far as I can tell seem to perform near identical with probably the Aviator the best of the 3 and the most $$$ about 485 locally for me and the Gemtech @ $300 . I wanted something light weight but I'm not sure if I need one that I have to disassemble. I like the pilot and the outback for overall size about 5" long. Not sure if I really need the Aviator. Any ideas on the subject?... The videos and reviews seem to indicate about the same sound level average when suppressed with either of them as this is probably due to the slide noise.

Thanks
Old October 2, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
PTK

Honestly? Go with a Tac-65. ~$200, and VERY near the big names for sound reduction.
Old October 3, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
ws6_keith

I'll be picking up a SWR can for my P22.
Old October 3, 2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Chipperman

I have friends that have done very well with Coastal and Gemtech on their P22s.
Old October 3, 2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

The Outback has struck me as a good buy and as being pretty much designed with the P-22 in mind.
Old October 3, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6
David Hineline

You will never regret not going with low bidder crap.

The outback ii and Pilot are very similar. You can expect around 10,000 rnds before a factory cleaning is needed. If you expect to shoot so much that 10k rounds will not be sufficient, then look to a silencer that comes apart. Beings you can't use the silencer in Washington and must travel to shoot it, 10k rounds might last a lifetime.

The Tactical Innovation Quest or YHM Mite will fit that bill, but not be quite as quiet as the Pilot or Outback II.

I would personally never go with a silencer with aluminum thread mounts, which leaves out the TI 65 and Stratus.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:29 AM   #7
mxitman

Quote:
I would personally never go with a silencer with aluminum thread mounts, which leaves out the TI 65 and Stratus.
That was my thought too, I wish they would let me try them out

Quote:
Beings you can't use the silencer in Washington and must travel to shoot it, 10k rounds might last a lifetime.
I usually spend allot of time in Oregon hunting on a friends property and in Idaho where we have some property on my brothers side of the family. Silencers can be transported to other states that allow their ownership so it works for me.

I expect to probably just get a sealed silencer as I don't even think I have 2000 rounds through my P22 yet, 10K will take me a long time...
Old October 7, 2008, 08:33 PM   #8
cchardwick

I'm also in the market for a sliencer for my P22. Where did you find info on these silencers? Post links please!

I found this website, they are selling one for $249:

Tactical Innovations

However, they also say that there are a bunch of other fees:

1) Cost of the firearm and any accessories
2) Shipping and insurance from us to your local in-state dealer if you don't buy it from an in-state stocking dealer.
3) $200 one time transfer tax for EACH NFA item EVERY TIME YOU BUY ANOTHER ONE. There is no annual fee.
4) Local Class 3 dealer charge, generally $50 - $100 but actual fee is between you and the dealer you workout. Different local in-state dealers charge different fees and also offer varying degrees of service. It's between you and your dealer. Stocking Dealers generally charge no fee since they are buying from us at wholesale and selling to you at MSRP.
5) Local CLEO fee for background check and or finger prints. Some charge, some don't.

So if I figure it right, it looks like I'm going to pay over $500 for this $250 suppressor. OUCH
Old October 7, 2008, 10:29 PM   #9
LiquidTension7

Welcome to the world of NFA

The $200 only seems bad when you buy cans. Fork over several thousand for a machine gun and it just sort of fades to the background.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:06 PM   #10
David Hineline

You won't notice a nickles worth of difference between the Outback II and the AAC Pilot or the SWR product. Check with your local dealer and see if they prefer to deal with one company over the other, or lucky if they have one in stock.
Old October 8, 2008, 03:59 PM   #11
mxitman

I'm looking at going through Wades Gun Shop in Bellevue,WA they are a stocking dealer on most of the manufacturers Cans and are a Class II manufacturer.
Old October 8, 2008, 04:07 PM   #12
JBriggs

GEMTECH rules.
Old October 10, 2008, 03:13 AM   #13
hknut

Tactical Solutions Tac-65 is a can design for the P22.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old October 10, 2008, 07:51 AM   #14
GE-Minigun

I went through thing last year and ended up getting the Tactical Innovation Quest...granted there’re other suppressors on the market that are quieter, however not many that can be taken apart. I also wanted one that was full-auto rated and the Quest will take one hell of a beating.
Old October 10, 2008, 09:00 AM   #15
VUPDblue

+1 on the Quest's durability! Mine's still cooling down!
Old November 8, 2008, 11:30 PM   #16
smee78

I just ordered my quest.