The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 6, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
RetiredLawman

Which SXS is the better, in your opinion?

1. Stevens 311

2. Stoeger Uplander

3. Spartan 210/220

If you could have only one, which would it be? I am getting ready to make a decision and need your input. It will be a SXS and it will be one of the 3 posted. I will not consider or be able to afford anything else. All 3 are available at my dealer. Of course, the 311 is used but in pretty good condition. The other 2 are new in box.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Hawg

Just me but I'd go 311 with Stoeger second.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
cwhite1085

I love my stevens 311. I looked at the spartan, and it's very poor quality in my opinion. The stevens may be old, but they are fine shooters.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
robc

I've told this a few times when the sxs question comes up.

I had a 311 for years. I never patterned it, or any other shotgun. I just busted a few clays (poorly) and shot some grouse and pheasant.

Then I read an article in a gun rag that claimed most any sxs would shoot cross-eyed unless you spent about a bazillion dollars on it.

So, I patterned my 311 from a bench at, iirc, about 40 yds. Left barrel shot over a foot right (center of pattern). The right barrel shot left, but not as bad. A hunting buddy from up North had a 311 in the family, and it shot the same way. In my opinion, that was "off" enough to matter. I dumped it for a o/u.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:25 PM   #5
oneounceload

SXS's need to fit properly more so than any other type - (while they ALL need to fit properly)...when you fire a SXS the recoil is not straight back like a single barrel, O/U or pump, but sideways and up. A SXS's barrels need to be regulated for proper convergance, the stock needs the proper cast "off" or "on", as well as the proper DAH, DAC, LOP and balance.....these things are generally NOT present in a bargain basement SXS

This is not to say you are wasting money or can't hit anything....rather your shooting experience will not be as fulfilling without the proper attention to these details.unfortunately, these make SXS expensive.....only you can determine if it is worth that extra expense

I can only tell you from my experience.....shooting a bargain SXS...)a Savage/Fox BSE in 20)...and an AYA #2 that balances perfectly - there is no comparison....it might not be the Yugo/Ferrari comparison, more like an impala/corvette one....JMO FWIW, YMMV
Old May 6, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
skeeter1

Quote:
"A SXS's barrels need to be regulated for proper convergance, the stock needs the proper cast "off" or "on", as well as the proper DAH, DAC, LOP and balance.....these things are generally NOT present in a bargain basement SXS"
I have a pair of SKB doubles (no longer made), but they're probably out of your price range. I left one stock (for field use) and had the other custom-fitted for the trap range (increased LOP by 1/2"). They're both in the $1K-$2K range now.

Have you ever shot a double before? I love them (obviously), but they're not for everyone. Any chance you can borrow/rent one to try first?

Having said that, if you've made up your mind to get a double, I'd suggest the Savage 311 over the other two. I've looked at them before, and they're kind of clunky compared to the SKBs, but seem to be well made, not so much for the Stoeger. I've never seen a Spartan, so I can't comment on it.
Old May 7, 2008, 08:26 AM   #7
RetiredLawman

I am partial to the 311 due to the fact that I used them a lot during my major hunting days. However, I wanted to compare them with the other economy brands that I haven't used. You guys are the experts and can assist me with your experience.

The 311s that I have used, especially my son's 20 gauge, shoots to POA with both barrels. I have not had any experience with Stoeger or Spartan. I know nothing about them as far as quality, longevity, etc. They are economy guns, all that I can afford.

I am a light duty shooter. Some hunting, no clays, lots of around the farm use, and an hour or two of patterning occasionally. Most of my guns are semis and pumps.

Also, the other SXS I mentioned are good for steel shot. I've never been waterfowl hunting but just might one day.

Any other comments? My dealer is 40 miles away that I am going to buy from.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:09 AM   #8
deanadell

Having owned 311's and Uplanders....I'd pick the Stoeger.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

I would have to be a bit cheaky and say the one that fits you best. They are all reasonable shotguns in the same price range.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Hawg

I own a 311 and a 5100 which is the forerunner of the 311. Both are fine guns that shoot to point of aim. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Stoeger but haven't used one personally. I can't get past the looks of the Spartan. They're made by Baikal and are rough and clunky looking.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:10 PM   #11
olddrum1

What oneounce said. I am heading in a different direction than you but you might look for an SKB 100E or 200E. Both quality SXSs in a lower price range(slightly). The 100E has extractors while the 200E has ejectors. Have had a 100E for years and years and really enjoy it.
Old May 9, 2008, 09:36 PM   #12
KevininPa

Spartan
Old May 12, 2008, 07:32 PM   #13
10-96

Flip a coin tweenst the 311 and the Stoeger. I have both, and well, maybe the shotgun gods have smiled on me- but they both pattern quite well on 3x3 butcher paper. My 311 is nearing up on (holy crap- it can't be that old! That makes me... old too. WTH?) Ok, it's nearly 40. The wood finish petered out a couple of years ago- came off in funky little strips. So far, I'm tickled with my Stoeger- but then both have recently taken a backseat to an old (80yrs plus) Stevens in 16ga I picked up for nostalgia.

My buddy has/had one of those Russian jobs. Talk about wee-wee poor craftsmanship! So in the interest of safety- I can't give thumbs up on the Ruskie.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 13, 2008, 06:06 PM   #14
BoltWorks

I have both, a 311 in 12 gauge and a Spartan in 28 gauge. Both work very well. The 311 for it's history, and the Spartan is new and has worked perfectly for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one again.