The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1
papershotshells

Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrel

Gentlemen,

I have a Glock 22 40S&W, and I'm thinking about picking up a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I have 9mm Glocks but I want to buy a replacement barrel for shooting lead bullets (I know a lot of people shoot lead in Glock OEM barrels and I have too but I want to try a dedicated lead bullet barrel), so I thought I might put one in my 40 for cheaper practice with my duty gun.

I'm thinking of buying the 5" threaded barrel, to have the option of a surpressor or a comp later.

Has anyone ran one of these barrels in a 22? I know I'll need to use G17 mags, which I have on hand, but will I need to change any other parts to get the 22 to run reliably in 9mm?

Thanks for any input.

Papershotshells
Old February 19, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Should be just a barrel swap and cal specific mags

I am getting 2 wolf barrels now. Both threaded for G23's. 1 will be in 40... 1 will be a 40-9 converson

This way i can run 9 or 40 supressed outta the pair of G23's i have.

Gotta have OPTIONS
Old February 19, 2014, 10:51 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Glock sources....

I'd suggest watching the Lenny Magill clips on www.youtube.com . He owns & runs www.glockstore.com .
Id also review www.glockbooks.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockworx.com www.brownells.com .

CF
Old February 19, 2014, 10:55 PM   #4
papershotshells

Sharkbite,

That's kinda my thought, keep my options open, lol.

I have wanted to try a Lone Wolf barrel so I thought the 40 to 9mm would be a good way to go, rather than putting a 9mm barrel in one of my 9mm guns.

I guess my main concerns were the recoil spring and/or the extractor, but I've watched a couple of YouTube vids tonight that show the conversion working just fine with only a barrel swap and the correct magazine.

Papershotshells
Old February 20, 2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Idaho Spud

I have one for my Glock 23. With G19 mags mine works fine, extraction is excellent, ejection is sometimes a little erratic, but for range use, it's very satisfactory.

BTW, mine has had the chamber opened up slightly (by LW) to accommodate shooting cast projectiles. The chamber is still much tighter than the stock barrel or even the barrel on my Ruger SR40. Mine is the standard 4-incher.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:57 AM   #6
ToddG

I have that setup. A LWD 9mm barrel in my Gen 4 G22. I can't remember the last time it wore the .40 barrel. But...

I had a hella time getting the springs right. The Gen 4 has the newer spring setup. Lone Wolf recommended a different set of springs and sold me 2 different strengths. Changed to one (don't remember which) and, other than a few reloads from a local shop, it runs fine. Still get the occasional stovepipe with the reloads.

Also note that you can't shoot some classes of IDPA with that combination, since it isn't factory.

Todd G
Old February 20, 2014, 09:44 AM   #7
papershotshells

Thanks for all the input everyone, sounds like I should have no problems with it except possibly needing to do a sprig swap.

One other question.

If I eventually add a Lone Wolf compensator to it do you think that will change the function? Since it changes the recoil cycle I kind of think it would.

Has anyone ran a comp on one of these set ups?

Thanks again.

Papershotshells
Old February 20, 2014, 11:58 AM   #8
silverstang23

I prefer kkm barrels for a glock. If youre are wanting to get it threaded, I would suggest going a step further and get the version that requires fitting. You will be surprised how much the custom fitted barrel will tighten up your groupings. You won't need to change any springs on a gen 4
Old February 21, 2014, 01:34 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

KKM
Old February 21, 2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Ozzieman

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=glock+lead

I went with the Wolf on my 34 for the same reason, LEAD, and a lot of it. The reason I picked the wolf VS other manufactures is that most comments from TFL members suggested Wolf.
I bought the extended barrel and paid for the cuts at the end.
Haven’t shot it enough due to the weather to give it a real test but so far it has worked flawlessly.
Also the cases come out without any budge. My 34 is a gen 4 and they did not recommend replacing the spring so I didn’t.
The thread attached above was some of the suggestions from members and a photo of the barrel that I got.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 21, 2014, 10:45 PM   #11
TxManx

I'm shooting a Lonewolf in my Glock 23 - barrel and magazine swap only...

Only issue is had is the tighter tolerance of the LWD barrel - Speer Lawman 9mm jam in the barrel and I have to disassemble the gun and tap the round out with a dowel rod.

Happened four times, that ammo only... Just an FYI... 5-600 rounds of WWB, Remington, Heaters, Tulammo and no issues with any of it - just the Speer Lawman...
Old February 21, 2014, 11:01 PM   #12
PhantomI

Springs

I have been shooting a Gen 4 Glock 22 with a drop in 9mm barrel for a few years. It most likely will not reliably work with the 16# recoil springs. I use an 11 # spring for light reloads.

Tom
Old February 22, 2014, 10:06 PM   #13
IM_Lugger

I had one of those LW barrels. If your Glock is gen4 you might want to get a 9mm recoil spring assembly since there are different for 9mm and .40. Previous generations (1, 2 and 3) use the same RSAs.

I ended up selling my G22 and the barrel and got a G17 gen4 instead. Still not sure if I made the right decision, but I was shooting mainly 9mm anyways.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:13 PM   #14
papershotshells

Thanks for all the input gents.

My Glock 22 is a gen 3, so I'm gonna try the conversion with just a barrel and magazine swap. If I have to tweak the recoil spring to get reliability, so be it. I'm just glad to hear that others have shot the 40/9 conversion successfully, that puts my mind at ease. At least I know that it's not gonna be a huge exercise. I'm sure I can deal with any hiccups that may occur.

Papershotshells
Old February 22, 2014, 11:49 PM   #15
Valerko

I have g35 with LW barrel. Only thing you need to swap is barrel
http://youtu.be/fU6NXjbnNdk
Old February 23, 2014, 10:01 AM   #16
40CalGuy

I have 4 LWD barrels.

G22 .40 threaded with Maverick comp, LWD slide, LWD stainless captured guide rod, 13# spring

G22 .40-9mm conversion with LWD Nickel Boron comp, OEM G22 slide, LWD captured stainless guide rod, 11# spring

G35 .40-9mm conversion threaded, no comp (yet), LWD fully machined (lots of lightening cuts) and slide melt for Burris FF3 optic, AmeriGlo suppressor sights (co-witness), LWD stainless captured guide rod, 11# spring

G21 .45 threaded nickel boron, LWD engraved crown comp, OEM G21 slide, Wilson Combat sights, LWD stainless captured guide rod, 18# spring

I have the G21 OEM frame that I've modified and replaced all internals on, the OEM G22 frame to match the OEM slide, and a brand new G17/22/31 frame that I replaced all of the internals on and added a Magwell to for the LWD G35 race setup. I can swap any of the first 3 setups by hitting thee takedown and pulling the trigger. I shoot lead through all of my guns, so I needed to get these LWD barrels to run it reliably and without fouling buildup. For the price, they're hard to beat.

as for what else you'll need, if you're changing caliber, you'll need new mags. if you're changing caliber, you might also want to keep in mind that the .40 and 9mm have different strikers and ejectors as well as extractors. That being said I've not heard many people reporting issues with a .40 setup running 9mm and I personally haven't had any issues.
Old February 23, 2014, 11:45 AM   #17
Sharkbite

40calguy...

Quote:
.G35 .40-9mm conversion threaded, no comp (yet),
Im thinking of getting a threaded barrel for my 35 to put a suppressor on. Cant decide if i want to leave it in 40 or do the conversion to 9mm

Does your 35 run good in 9?
Old February 23, 2014, 11:55 AM   #18
40CalGuy

It does run good in 9mm, although to be fair I have the 9mm internals on it (in the G35 config) and have pretty well decided to leave it that way. If I want a G35 unconverted setup, I'd probably build that separate. To be clear, my G35 setup has:

full size frame with
SJC aluminum magwell
LWD extended mag release
LWD Stainless takedown
LWD stainless pin set
Gripforce adapter
Hogue Handall Sleeve

G35 slide
LWD G35 .40-9mm conversion threaded
LWD machined slide, slide melt, Burris FF3, AmeriGlo suppressor sights
LWD safety plunger
LWD spring kit (striker, extractor, safety plunger)
LWD 9mm striker
LWD 9mm extractor
LWD stainless captured guide rod
ISMI 11# flat recoil spring

right now, without the compensator on it, all of the gas is going down the barrel and not being vented through a compensator. I have yet to put a compensator on it because I can't find one that I like that matches the contour of the LWD rounded front G35 slide. it's tapered and not squared like the regular G22/17/31 slides that they make. I'm considering just getting a 40-9 ported setup, with 4 ports in the slide's top machined cutout, and then the two ports at the end of the barrel, past the slide. i'm undecided though. either a comp that I have yet to find or the ported barrel will cost roughly the same $.