The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2005, 06:35 PM   #1
magnum2005

Traditional scope or red dot

I am deer unting this year forthe first time with a mossberg 500 slug gun/muzzloader combo. I have looked at all the various budget friendly scopes at wally world for my shot gun but I am really interested in the RedDot sights/scopes I am not really sure what catagory they fall under scope or sight because there isn't really that much magnification from what i can tell. Any ways what ever i purchase will be used for both applications muzzleloader and slug. Can any one tell me there experiences with these red dots and any pros or cons i should be aware of. Note typically i hunt early sunrise and 2-3 hours prior to sunset so i don't think light is going to be too much of an issue.
Thanks for any advice given.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Ran a search through TFL and if you're talking about a BSA red dot sight, it looks like a bad idea for anything with any signifigant recoil... Lots of horror stories about them sights self destructing after a couple shots...

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old October 4, 2005, 03:44 AM   #3
trooper3385

Just as the last one said, the recoil from a slug would not be good for a red dot scope. I wouldn't try a laser dot as well. I've heard that fur is not a real good reflector for the laser dots. They tend to absorb the light rather than reflect it. And I'm sure deer would probably be able to see it as well.
Old October 4, 2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Windjammer

Magnum2005,

Red Dots are not scopes , zero magnification, they are considered sights. Dots are like scopes you get what you pay for. A dot will work fine on a slug gun if you buy a good one ( I use one on mine - a Bushnell Trophy).

One thing to keep in mind is the dot size, I would not use anything over 3 MOA. This means at 100 yards the dot is covering a 3" area on the target. As the range decreases so does the coverage area i.e.. 3 MOA at 50 yards covers 1 1/2", at 25 yards covers 3/4".

Hope this helps.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Lycanthrope

The Aimpoint red dots and the Eotech sights will handle the recoil easily. Both also have small dots. The Aimpoint battery life is several days/weeks when left on.

For magnification, there are several scopes with lit reticals, but they won't be quite as fast close in. You also have to make sure they can take the recoil.
Old October 4, 2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Yankee Doodle

See if this helps you.
T/C Encore .454 Casull Millett Red Dot
Ruger #3 .45-70 (Another) Millett Red dot
Ruger SBH .44 Mag Bushnell Red Dot
Savage 12 Guage (Yet another) Millett Red Dot
Bottom lin is that I love 'em. Yet to have one fail due to recoil.
Y.D.

Last edited by Yankee Doodle; October 5, 2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old October 5, 2005, 08:38 PM   #7
2rugers

Hi Magnum2005. I have some experience with red dots. What windjammer said about dot size is "BANG ON". I also have the bushnell trophy multi- reticle on a marlin 357 lever action. I believe it has 4 different reticles to choose from by turning a dial, but I find I only use the 3 moa and nothing else. It has one power magnification, wish it was more. In low light settings, and I mean LOW light as in legal shooting hours expire in 30 secs. even with the dot at it's lowest power it still seems to overpower the deer I am trying to find in the glass.
I would instead recommend a burris signature series electro-dot. I have a 1 to 6x variable, the dot is pin prick small and it's low light ability comes in handy in the dark woods or the 30 mins. after sundown rule for most game here in tx. Spendy yes, but much more ideal too.