The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 19, 2002, 05:41 PM   #1
Chipster

Family Safety -- Choice Of Firearm?

Situation envisioned...for some reason I am unable to access a firearm to defend my family. In the shower at the motel, shot and wounded, dead, whatever...

Wife understands and can properly manipulate pistol or revolver. However, she is much more familiar with a revolver. Racking the slide and slingshot releasing a locked-back slide take lots of effort. Opening a cylinder, dumping the rounds, and reloading is not difficult.

So, planning for an unlikely yet difficult situation would you prefer to carry a tactical-grade .45 ACP pistol with two extra magazines or a full-size .357 Magnum revolver with two moonclips? Rounds available are equivalent (24).
Old August 19, 2002, 06:09 PM   #2
nascarnhlnra

It's kinda a draw I.M.O......My wife shoots both and prefers the pistol. I think it's mostly because she finds the trigger on the pistol much more manageable than on most revolvers. I think the heavy triggers on alot of revolvers mixed with a panic situation could lead to a jerky pull possibly off target...but one could wash this scenario quite a few ways.I guess whatever SHE prefers and is most confident with would be my decision.
Old August 19, 2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Blackhawk

Draw the scenario for her.

Her choice.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:40 PM   #4
foghornl

Chipster:

If your wife is not familiar enough with a 'slide gun', or perhaps is a bit lacking in wrist/hand strength to work the 1911 format weapons, then the 357 revo is a great choice, with some speedloaders.

But no matter which it is, let HER pick out HER weapon

I speak from painful and costly personal experience, with 2 different wives, 20 years apart....
Old August 19, 2002, 07:52 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

foghornl got it.

Sam
Old August 19, 2002, 10:36 PM   #6
cwmax2000

REVOLVER!

I believe in a really panic situation a revolver is best......I own 44 weapons of all types...and have several friends who own as many..so I have shot alot of weapons......In a "good situation" I would choose a 9mm auto (for # of rounds for pistol) and in long gun, HUH...WELL maybe my AR-15, 870 marine magnum, AK47, M1 Garrand, Thompson, ETC.... In thinking of some of the most "worst case scenarios" I can think of..being awaken from sleep and disorientated or shot or whatever...when bottom the line comes, a revolver will function without much thought, "in a panic situation"!!...

Thanks Chris
Old August 20, 2002, 04:59 AM   #7
STEVE M

His and Hers. Take what ever she is most comfortable with

and whatever you are. If one gun is needed, 2 is going to be a

better idea.
Old August 20, 2002, 09:11 AM   #8
David Scott

In our home defense plan, Thelma gets the 12 gauge Mossberg pump gun. I pity the fool who tries her patience in a dark house.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss