The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 18, 2002, 05:02 PM   #1
Lavan

TWO stud opening folders.

I'm no expert on martial arts or hand-to-hand combat, but I bet even a rank amateur could be a force to be reckoned with if he carried TWO knives.

I've seen pix in books of various disarming techniques, but they all seem to show how to grasp the knife hand to force a drop or cause pain.

Just seems to me that if the OTHER hand held a sharp folder that had been opened and it was used on whatever grabbed the other knife hand that it would be tough to defend against.

Whoever was trying to get at your knife hand would end up with his grabbing hand all sliced up in little strips.

And think of the confusion to the other party. Which knife to go for?

In the meantime, TWO nasty little snicks are poking and slicing away. Eeech.

Knives make me queasy, but with the gun CCW so hard to get in many areas, two razor sharp little folders could be a ticket to safety in many cases.

Or my idea is stupid. Gotta have an opinion, though.
Old August 18, 2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Blackhawk

Interesting thought.

If somebody came at me with a knife that I saw, I'd suspect that he's an amateur. If somebody came at me with two knives that I saw, I'd be VERY concerned...!

Glad I live in a CCW venue....
Old August 19, 2002, 12:11 AM   #3
mons-meg

If you can find a reputable Kali/Escrima type school in your area and go for a year or so, you might even look like you knew what you were doing.

Seriously, though, the double weapon/off hand training I have had makes me realize that if you face an opponent with two knives, your only real option is to leave. As far as I know, they don't even teach unarmed versus two weapon disarms.
Old August 19, 2002, 08:32 AM   #4
Hard Ball

That is a very interesting idea. I have practiced with two sticks and with practice you can develop the coordination needed to use two weapons at the same time. I think that I will get another Emerson Commander.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:50 AM   #5
Lavan

Fortuately I have CCW....but...

I also carry a little Browning 734 part serrated knife for just having a knife. It opens as fast as a switchblade. And is real light and cheap.
It just occurred to me the other day that the stud can be reversed and used for left hand.

Soooooo....I began thinking (rare occurence) and it just popped into mind that someone strolling thru the park with hands in pockets could become a slicer/dicer in about a half second if the need arose.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:31 AM   #6
dfaugh

No CCW

Besides studying martial arts for years (which also teaches how PROPERLY to fight with a knife, as well as other weapons (A "staff" is perhaps the best thing short of a gun...I'll take on multiple attackers, even if they're armed with anything short of guns, with a staff)) I carry at least 2, usually 3 knives...Practice with both hands (I'm ambidextrous as well, although left slightly weaker from injuries)...This is "last resort" if I can't stop threat w/ "bare hands" (which, once again, very effective, if you know how)

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 20, 2002, 11:40 AM   #7
Blackhawk

dfaugh,

Problem is that the evil ravages of time work against your skills while they simultaneously paint you more and more as a victim.

The only things that don't slow down are the bullets....
Old August 20, 2002, 03:50 PM   #8
dfaugh

Agreed Blackhawk

I ain't what I used to be...However, I still feel quite capable of defending myself in most any situation (Even after being declared severely disabled 3 times, now)...I'm not particularly afraid of getting shot...If he's close enough i can take the gun away and shove it up his A$$ before he knows what hit him...Otherwise, I die..Oh, well

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 20, 2002, 04:10 PM   #9
Blackhawk

dfaugh,

I was thinking about it from the other side of the fight.

MY bullets are just as fast as ever, I'm just as fast in launching them as I ever was, and I'm a lot more accurate than I've ever been since I practice far more than when I was more supple and agile.

Even so, there might come a day when I won't be as quick on the draw or able to put one where I want it quite so easily.

MAs are not the equalizers they used to be. Now my equalizers are centerfire....