The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2000, 11:02 AM   #1
Zensho

Hey scattergunners, I picked up a Vang comp systems police magnum 870 a few months ago and need advice on slugs for it. I picked up some federal sabots with the Barnes eXpander slugs, then read that they are for rifled bbls! they werent cheap either.
I read of some sabots that have helical fins on them to give the slug some spin for accuracy. Any info is appreciated.
Old June 21, 2000, 01:11 PM   #2
Ledbetter

If you don't have a rifled barrel, you won't get very good results with sabots. They all depend on the rifling for stability in flight. Rifled slugs have their own means of generating spin while in flight and are best for smooth bores. I've used Brenneke and Federal. Federal makes an economy version. I ordered them from cheaperthandirt.com but you can get them lots of places.
Old June 21, 2000, 02:07 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Every shotgun is an individual when it comes to what slugs it likes. Smoothbore and rifled tube bbls generally do better with Brennekes and standard Forster slugs.

My deer 870(rifled choke tube) does fine with my old duty slug, Winchester, and/or the Federal load. My HD 870 has no choke and does as well with Brennekes. Both work very well indeed on deer, but that can be said of any 12 ga slug, properly inserted.

Try some standard slugs and see what yours likes. Stick with 2 3/4 slugs, there's no advantage to the 3 inch jobs, just more expense, kick and blast.
Old June 21, 2000, 08:56 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

My Vang likes about anything... As said, the smoothbores will not get the most out of sabots... But I have a brace of QuickShok pre-fragmented slugs for close range just in case things get REALLY hairy.

Ben
Old June 23, 2000, 04:14 PM   #5
Zensho

Thanks for the replies all, an invaluable source of information!