The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2016, 10:21 PM   #26
Beagle333

You can learn a lot about the throat and rifling and chamber with one. And I find it easier to do than a pound cast. No need to do one if you don't have problems.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 17, 2016, 01:16 PM   #27
Kalvinson

Lee C309-120RN in .30/30

Greetings: I'm new to this site so if I don't get it right don't bury me too deep.
This isn't a reply to anyone but I have a question regarding the 120RN Lee bullet in the .30/30. Anyone have any experience with that bullet. I shoot a lot of the Lee C309-113 out of my Marlin 36ADL and #2 Lyman batter gives me a very tight grouping at 50 yards. I've taken a number of coyotes with that bullet but now just punch paper and am looking at trying some different molds. I appreciate any suggestions you may have and thank you in advance.

I'd start a new thread about this inquiry but frankly don't know how to go about achieving that.
Old January 19, 2016, 05:17 AM   #28
Mike / Tx

Welcome to the forum Kalvinson, I doubt that anyone in here will be upset about the post. However for future reference to start a new thread, look just above the top left corner of where the post start and you will see a blue colored tab which reads, New Thread, just click on that and then insert your title and go from there.

Now on to the fun stuff.

I myself have the 311-120 mold, however I purchased it mainly for my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine as well as a couple of M1 Carbines. I can't say how it does out of the 30-30 yet. I DO have a Contender barrel chambered in 30-30 AI that I could use them in I just haven't had a chance to give them a try yet.

I have shot quite a few through my BH and they shoot well. I have them loaded to standard loads with no issues regarding leading. I also powder coated some of them to try in the 308 but again I haven't gotten around to those either.

I'm sure however that one of these folks has something similar if not the same which they can expand on though.