The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 23, 2015, 08:56 AM   #1
DealHunter

Scope for Ruger PR

I'm picking up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 tonight and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a decent scope that wouldn't break the bank. I already have a few 3-9 and 3-10 scopes from Nikon and Weaver (Prostaff, Monarch, Grand Slam) but I'd like something that reaches out maybe to 12x or 16x.

Since I have no experience with that type of scope I figured I'd ask around.

Are the higher magnification Monarchs worth the premium? How about some of the Vortex offerings or perhaps something I haven't thought of.

Thanks for any help/advice you could offer!
Old December 23, 2015, 09:44 AM   #2
MarkCO

Until you get into the $2K range, you really would have a hard time beating the Burris XTRII. I have the 4-20 on both of my long range rigs (.260 M700 and .243Win RPR) as well as a 2-10 on my DMR AR and 1-5 on my 3Gun AR.

They have excellent glass, perfect RTZ when dialing, which is very positive.
Old December 23, 2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I would take a hard look at the one Mark recommends. If that doesnt float your boat, look at the Vortex line.

I have a Viper PST 6-24x50 on my FN precision bolt gun and LOVE it. The Vortex Warranty cant be beat as well. I called them and asked if i had the scope painted to match the rifle (with a spray and bake finish) would they honor the warranty after subjecting the scope to the oven. Their response was if you brake it, we'll fix it
Old December 23, 2015, 03:05 PM   #4
DealHunter

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can check out both of those models at the LGS (they usually have decent stock). I have one of Vortex's ("tactial") monocles and have been favorably impressed as well.