The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2014, 12:38 AM   #1
dreniel10

First handgun

I've always been interested with guns since I was a child, but it wasn't until recently that I seriously considered purchasing one. More than anything, my purpose is recreational, maybe competitive at some point. With that I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a Sig Sauer P229 a good gun to have as a first time gun? It's a gun I'm really really attracted to, not to mention the many good reviews I've seen or read about it. I like Sig Sauer guns in general, but it's the P229 that I found myself gravitating towards to the most.

2. What is a good alternative to a P229? In general Sig Sauers are more expensive, but here in Manila it costs around 2000 USD (license processing included), so I would also like to ask for your opinion on what are good and cheaper alternatives.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old July 7, 2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Dirty_Harry

I think for a first handgun I think the constant trigger pull of a striker is beneficial. The sig is a great gun, and you can't go wrong with it.

But I woul be looking at glocks, m and p's, xd's, fns', ppq's and maybe even the new vp9.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 7, 2014, 08:48 AM   #3
kajvid

Personally, I'd avoid the plastics. 229 is a fine way to go. I suggest that if you have a LGS that also has range facilities that you go talk to the, handle a few and maybe rent a gun to try out. Make it clear that you are buying from them. They will help you out.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Marty8613

The Sig is a very nice option. Sounds like you don't have much experience though. Any reason you aren't considering a revolver? Much simpler for a 1st gun, more powerful than a similar sized semi-auto, much more reliable. You won't find too many stories on the forum about people dis-satisfied with a revolver.
Old July 7, 2014, 10:36 AM   #5
pilpens

Sig P229 is nice. If you really like it. go for it.
========
As an alternative to a Sig P229 because of price in Manila primarily for recreation shooting, I would consider the following:
1st. 1911 STI Spartan 5" - you pick the caliber (I like 9mm - less expensive ammo).
2nd. Armscor/RIA Match 1911 5".
3nd. Armscor/RIA CZ75 clone 9mm.
4th. Glock 34.
5th. CZ 75.
=======
* I think you are in 1911 country. So, go for what is easy - go 1911. 1911 parts and gunsmiths would be easy to find.
* Rear Bomar type adjustable sights would be nice for POA = POI.
* As long as you always keep the safety rules in mind, a 1911 would be just as safe as an SA/DA/Decocker pistol.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Personally, I'd avoid the plastics.
Why?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 7, 2014, 05:38 PM   #7
marine6680

Ok... so you live outside of the USA... that complicates things.

Some places have limits on the number of guns you can own... others have a small shooting community so the selection is smaller. Plus many other factors... You may not really have the chance to try out/shoot the pistol or the same model, before you buy it. You may not even be able to hold one just to get a feel of it in your hand.

That being said...

The 229 is a great pistol... I prefer the 226 though myself. The grip in the 226 is slightly smaller in diameter, and a little longer in length, so it is more comfortable to me.

It is also a slightly bigger pistol overall, and the longer barrel and the slight increase in weight are beneficial on the range.

For pure recreational use at a shooting range, larger tends to be better... within reason. You want the gun to be comfortable to hold and have enough mass to help keep it stable in the hand, but you don't want to be so large that it is tiresome to use after a few magazines worth of shooting.

If you are able to carry a firearm for defense outside the home and must conceal it, then a smaller size is easier to do so. If you must have one pistol for both roles, than a mid size is the compromise most make. Smaller than ideal for the range, and bigger than ideal for concealment... but not too big or too small.

Another good option to look at is the CZ 75, it is a very good shooting pistol, and many feel it is the best feeling in the hand. It should also be a little cheaper, at about half to two thirds the cost of a Sig.

It is a popular competition platform in most of the world, and it is a highly copied design from many other makers, ranging in quality and price. The original CZ made version is a solid pistol, and rarely to let you down.

They make professional level competition versions available from the factory, even some of the copies have them... or a gunsmith can work on a standard model to improve performance. Same for Sig as well... Though that kind of thing increases price.

If you are a beginner, then a basic model is good. As you will be the limiting factor when it comes to how accurate you shoot. It takes a lot of practice and skill to get to the point where a standard modern made semi auto is the limiting factor in better accuracy, and you need something custom made.

I would suspect that you have access to the German made Sigs, and by most accounts, they are better than the ones made in the USA. So, you can't really go wrong with one, unless you just hate how it feels when you hold it.

So, there is a lot you need to think about... Your skill level is one of the more important ones, no need for a high end competition pistol if you are a beginner... unless you just really want one.

Take into consideration what the laws are where you live, you may need to plan around a limit on how many you can own. Are you allowed to use one for defense of your home, and do you plan on doing so? How large is the shooting community and how wide is the firearm selection available to you? Do you plan on dedicating yourself to improving above amateur level competition?

As I said... living in a country other than the USA complicates things... As our standard way of dealing with questions about which pistol to get will usually not apply.

Can't decide which to get? Just get one of each.

Ok, most of us do not have the money to do such, but the greater availability, larger shooting community, and lower cost, makes it easier for us to get a different firearm if we do not like the one we first choose... selling one is usually easier, and for the most part, we don't take a huge loss if we do. This makes choosing the best firearm for us a little less daunting.
Old July 9, 2014, 04:20 AM   #8
kajvid

Plastics = no whipping! I want a gun I can beat a guy with!!

I just like the weight and feel of metal. I think the Smith M&P and Glock are fine weapons. I just prefer heft, thank you. The second handgun I ever fired as a kid was a 1911. That set the tone.

BTW - Grew up in Kalamazoo, Dirty. I assume it's still a great place!
Old July 9, 2014, 04:46 AM   #9
sigpro2340

The 229 is a marvelous pistol.

But, for the first time buyer, I would say the 226 is a better choice overall.

Nothing wrong with the CZ 75 or a Glock 17, which are both full size platforms, as is the 226.

SIG's are more expensive for a reason ..

They keep going, and going and going.

Last edited by sigpro2340; July 9, 2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Plastics = no whipping! I want a gun I can beat a guy with!!

I just like the weight and feel of metal. I think the Smith M&P and Glock are fine weapons. I just prefer heft, thank you. The second handgun I ever fired as a kid was a 1911. That set the tone.

BTW - Grew up in Kalamazoo, Dirty. I assume it's still a great place!
Kalamazoo is still a great place, getting a little Liberal, but overall good.

Pffft, I could still whip a guy with my P30!

Old July 10, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11
xmen

FORGET IT

I am guessing you are saying Manila Philippines? Unless things have changed recently. You better love prison. It is illegal for you to own a firearm there. Even though they are a huge producer of firearms, it is illegal to own one there. Got lots of buddies over there and from what they have told me it is a major NO NO...... Better double check your laws.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:13 AM   #12
pilpens

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...-gun-ownership

I was curious and found this.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:31 AM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
1. Is a Sig Sauer P229 a good gun to have as a first time gun? It's a gun I'm really really attracted to, not to mention the many good reviews I've seen or read about it. I like Sig Sauer guns in general, but it's the P229 that I found myself gravitating towards to the most.
Mabuhay!

I was in Iloilo last month and was looking at some Shooter's Arms weapons that I thought were very nicely made.

However, if you can afford the SIG, that would be my first choice, and a CZ 75 would be my second.

I also understand that a CZ 75 Norinco clone is also sold in RP as I saw some police at NAIA carrying them.

Some dealers will apparently accommodate you for obtaining the necessary licenses and psych exams, too

I also went into another gun store at Amigo Mall in Iloilo that had other brands including Rugers and SIGs and, while they were higher than here in the U.S., they weren't as expensive as what you are saying.

Maybe you can take a RORO to Iloilo one of these days and do some comparison shopping. I think things tend to be less in the provinces.
Old July 11, 2014, 12:49 PM   #14
RX-79G

Quote:
I am guessing you are saying Manila Philippines? Unless things have changed recently. You better love prison. It is illegal for you to own a firearm there. Even though they are a huge producer of firearms, it is illegal to own one there. Got lots of buddies over there and from what they have told me it is a major NO NO...... Better double check your laws.
I'm pretty sure the OP, who lives there AND mentioned the licensing fees in his OP, knows a lot more about buying a gun in the Philippines than you do.

From what I've seen on the net, Filipino gun owners are about as active and proud as American's - and it isn't all illegal what they're putting on facebook.
Old July 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #15
gyvel

Quote:

It's illegal for a FOREIGNER to own a firearm, not a Filipino. RP is full of gun shops. I assume your "buddies over there" are expats?
Old July 11, 2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Kev

Off subject kinda
But I love my Armscor Mapp1 full size 9mm
Tangfolio parts, Proudly assembled in the Philippines
Old July 11, 2014, 08:19 PM   #17
.22lr

dreniel10,
Please forgive me for my assumptions.

I assume that Philippine firearms law is correctly summarized by BASIC FIREARMS LAWS, RULES AND REGULATIONS

I assume that you are not a soilder or police officer.

Based upon these assumptions it SEEMS to me that you are alowed one long gun and one handgun. It seems that it may be legal to purchase a handgun chambered in 9x19mm. If so, buy the highest quality gun you can afford.

The Sig is indeed a high quality firearm.

I would stay away from Glocks in your country. I seem to remember that most of the locally produced ammunition in the Philippines is lead, and Glocks present additional hassel.

To the Americans posting, dreniel10 is bound by law much stricter than our own. Please keep these restrictions in mind when making suggestions.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Water-Man

Since you mentioned Sigs, check out the new Sig P320.
Old July 16, 2014, 05:01 AM   #19
dreniel10

Thank you!

Really appreciate everyone's response to my questions! I will consider your advise as I pursue my first handgun.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Freeloader Reloader

First Gun preference

I think that when you consider purchasing your first handgun you really need to consider the main purpose of that gun. As NFP calls it, the Philosophy of Use. I did a lot of thinking about that when I got my first gun, a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. I thought it crossed over many different philosophies. First, the .357 Magnum is generally considered one of the finest defensive rounds available...depending on who you ask, of course. It is a very capable round and packs quite a punch, for defensive use or for hunting. Also, a lot of people consider a revolver inherently safer and more trouble free than a semi-auto, again that being a Ford vs. Chevy issue. A good point is the capability of shooting .38 Special at the range...easier on the pocket book and the recoil as well. I love my .357 but it's not exactly an easy gun for EDC so different philosophies resulted in different guns such as my Browning HiPower in 9mm (Primary defense gun due to ammo capacity and also a lot of fun to shoot at the range using handloads) followed by a Ruger LC9 which is my main EDC along with two extra magazines. Easy to conceal and I always shoot it whenever I go to the range as well. The only other pistol I own is a S&W Model 422 .22LR target pistol. This is one of my favorite range guns (in truth, I guess they all are) and I always bring it along to finish up my sessions...which are not nearly frequent enough!
Old July 17, 2014, 09:31 PM   #21
xmen

yes my buddies are expats

The poster did not say he was a Philippine Citizen. I was looking to retire there. I was told I could not bring a gun, any gun with me.

Tags
first time , handgund , p229 , sig sauer , sig sauer p229