The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1
chickenmcnasty

Cabelas investarm hawken

Hey all,

I have a .50 percussion hawken from cabelas. The only thing that I hate about this gun is that the rear sight is awful. It has some slop in it and looks terrible. Has anyone replaced this sight on theirs? If so, what type of sight do you buy to replace it and how was the process?
Thanks
Old April 26, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2
chickenmcnasty

I would also like to see about getting a better nipple for it as I have experienced a few misfires. Any ideas on which size would fit?
Old April 26, 2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Hawg

I went to a vernier and globe setup when I had mine. Worked great for targets but not a good choice for hunting. Not a good pic but the only one I have with those sights.

Old April 26, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Get a hot shot or a musket cap nipple from track of the wolf. Don't bother with the fire sights that cabelas has they dont fit the dove tail in the barrel is to wide for those sights.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Beagle333

Mine is the same as the OP. I think I'm gonna try to put Williams Fire Sights on it. (After some research as to which ones fit.)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
deerslayer303

I have a set here that WOULD NOT fit the Cabelas Hawken hunter carbine that I sold to woodnbow. I'll post up the part number here in a bit. It may help in the research.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
chickenmcnasty

Re: Cabelas investarm hawken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen View Post
I went to a vernier and globe setup when I had mine. Worked great for targets but not a good choice for hunting. Not a good pic but the only one I have with those sights.

That looks really awesome. But I do want this as a huntin rig. A buckhorn sight is probably ideal if possible.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; April 26, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: quote repair
Old April 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
woodnbow

I'm going to a Williams Peep rear on my new Carbine... The bead front is alright, a bit coarse but my eyes will probably do better with that than the fine bead I used to prefer.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Hawg

I like full buckhorns. Have a couple, need some more. Marbles makes good sights.

Old April 28, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
ThomasT

Chicken its pretty easy to cut a dovetail in the barrel. Then you can use any sight you want.

I use the vented nipples in mine. I use to buy them from Mountain State muzzleloading but they are out of bussiness now. They were called RedHot, Firehot or something like that. Don't worry. somebody will along to give the correct name.

Also if you are having misfires check this. Take out the clean out screw by the nipple. Shine a light down the bore and make sure the hole is drilled all the way through to the barrel. I had one gun that gave misfires and when I checked the hole I found it wasn't drilled but partway through. I ran a proper sized drill in the hole and the last little bit of metal crunched out and the gun fired sure after that. Just a thought.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Darto

I would get a large can of Ballistol for both cleaning out the bore and lubing. It will not harm wood (other solvents will). It is also the very best rust preventive. Works perfect for BP and smokeless.
Old April 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
deerslayer303

Here is the Williams Part number (70219) that I bought from Cabelas that WOULD NOT fit the Investarm Hawken. The dove tail in the barrel is too wide for these sights. Sad too because these firesights are really bright. Hope this helps others.