The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2018, 11:08 PM   #26
Troy800

I can't speak for the Ruger but the Glock is a good choice. It's a good reliable shooter for the price. Tons of aftermarket stuff for the Glock when your ready to upgrade it.
Old September 15, 2018, 03:48 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJoe1022 View Post
Well I think you guys have convinced me enough to stick with the Glock. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a gen 3. I'd like to buy new, but if the right deal comes along, I'll go with a used one. I just started a new job, so it'll probably be a month or two until I get a few paychecks that I make my purchase.
Also bear in mind that if your new job is almost any kind of first responder or law enforcement job, Glock has its Blue Label discount program. That could save you some bucks buying new.
Old September 15, 2018, 05:23 AM   #28
Brit

There is a reason for that Pyramid design on the G19 4th gen pistol. Wet hands, water, or blood! You will still be able to grip it. The Magazine release dug into my second finger, sharp knife fixed that, chopped that corner off.
I carry my G19 every day. TruGlo night sights extended slide release (Glock call it a slide lock) makes for slicker mag changes. A Police trade in normally good condition, and a lot cheaper than a new one, in a box. Never had a failure of any nature, only use factory ammo.
Old September 15, 2018, 12:25 PM   #29
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite:
If the desire for a manual safety is huge, then a M&P is the way to go.
I had a chance to shoot an M&P 2.0 with the thumb safety. I thought it was a rather flimsy setup and I found it was too easy to bump it on or off as there isn’t a lot of positive tactile feel to click it up or down with authority. With a low thumb hold I bumped it to the ON SAFE position with my knuckle more than enough times to be comfortable with this setup. I quickly started to ride it 1911-style with my thumb instead. Works with a 1911, don’t like it on this M&P.

If I owned an M&P equipped with the thumb safety, and if I intended to make it a carry gun, I would most likely remove the safety lever altogether, and S&W offers plugs to fill in the hole in the frame for just this purpose, just to make sure nothing like this happens at the wrong time.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:22 PM   #30
Martowski

Go Gen 5 w/ the G19. Just bought one a month or so ago, trigger is much improved over my G22 Gen 3. Nice not having the finger grooves as well.

I put Ameriglo Pro I-dot night sights on mine. If you want a pick for most versatile handgun, G19 is it for me. This coming from someone who has historically not been a Glock fan.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:54 AM   #31
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJoe1022 View Post
I'm considering purchasing my first pistol and I've narrowed myself down to the Glock 19 Gen 4 or the Ruger Security 9.

I'm looking for a good quality, all-around gun that isn't too expensive. I want something to take to the range and practice with that will be durable and reliable. I've held and field stripped both guns at the LGS, but haven't shot either. So far here is my take-

The Glock 19 felt cheaper than the Ruger. It was lighter (almost 3 oz) and the trigger felt toy-like.
The bit of "sproing" and the "kids plastic space gun" feel, when you dry fire it? Don't worry about it. You absolutely do not notice this when firing.

Quote:
The Glock grip angle didn't bother me, but the texture on the grip did.
Texture can be changed. Talon rubber grip overlay is one I like a lot.

Quote:
I don't like that the Glock lacks a manual safety, but how much does this matter for a gun that is only used at the range?
Not meant to be something "that is only used at the range". Folks have been using Glocks as intended out in the world for decades.

Quote:
Both have 4 inch barrels, so I would think accuracy should be similar. The Ruger is hammer fired and the Glock is obviously striker fired. I'm a newbie; does this make a huge difference?
"hammer vs. striker" is something that folks in Internet gun social media obsess about, that just does not matter.

Quote:
Aesthetically (as if aesthetics matter)
Aesthetics matter, but not much.

Quote:
, I'm probably in the minority of people who like the look of Glocks, but the Ruger is a nice looking gun too. I like that the 19 has been around a while, has an established following and lots of aftermarket support, whereas the Ruger not so much. I'd like to have the ability to customize if I decide to. As for price, the Glock cost over $200 more than the Ruger. Is it worth the extra money?
In everything but initial cost, the Glock is a better bet than the Ruger.

The thing with the Ruger is, it hasn't been out but a few months. So, very little track record, not much aftermarket. We don't know the quirks. And it's not +P rated.

Scaling up Kel Tec's design to a full size gun may turn out to be a fine idea. We don't know yet.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 19, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:29 PM   #32
Martowski

Have you shot both? If not, please do. Find a range where you can rent them and put some rounds through each. Yes, you'll spend some money doing so but trust me, a few mags through both will do more to figure out what is best for YOU than 3,000 hours of internet YouTube research.

I REALLY wanted to like the new M&P 2.0 Compact, but shot it side by side with a G19 Gen 5 and several of my existing handguns and guess what? The G19 outshot them all (I was pretty analytical in my evaluations). I loved how the M&P felt, loved the "idea" of it, loved the looks, and loved that I coudl get one for $150 less than the Glock. But in the end, the Glock put the bullets closer together on their intended targets at multiple distances and varying tempos... so that's the one I bought.
Old September 20, 2018, 05:02 PM   #33
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field:
The bit of "sproing" and the "kids plastic space gun" feel, when you dry fire it? Don't worry about it. You absolutely do not notice this when firing.
Put a snap cap in the chamber before you dryfire it, and it will sound like the crack of a baseball bat. It’s also easier on the striker assembly.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:37 PM   #34
Leaf

I'd suggest you buy the Ruger, shoot the hell out of it and get back to us with the results. I love a wide assortment of Rugers. Otherwise, just get the glock.
Old September 20, 2018, 11:07 PM   #35
b.thomas

I'd go with the glock!
And I'm a big fan of both Ruger and Smith and Wesson but not of glock.
BUT..............this the first year or so of production of the Ruger, where as Glock has been at it a long time..............And got all the bugs out.....at least most of them.