The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2018, 08:39 PM   #1
arcticap

New Traditions Youth Inline with Round Ball Barrel

Traditions has finally made an inline with a round ball barrel.
It appears that it's a model that's specially made for 4-H and YHEC youth competition.
I personally haven't seen a new regular production youth model PRB muzzle loader offered in about 20 years,
and that was also a Traditions that I taught my oldest son how to muzzle load with.

The fact that an adult stock is offered for it means that now there's a new rifle that can get passed down within a family
for the next generation of ML shooters.
I sent my youth model to a father in Texas for his little girl to learn to shoot with and enjoy.
She was so excited about getting her own rifle that she sent me a snack in the mail as a gift along with a card.
That memory still puts a big smile on my face.
Traditions really deserves some applause for a job well done to help keep muzzle loading alive!

The photo of the gun with details was found on this shop's website under Traditions guns: http://www.muzzleloadershop.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-H-YHEC.jpg (122.7 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by arcticap; September 4, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Model12Win

Looks like a great way to introduce young shooters to the world of just-barely-muzzleloading.

PASS.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:58 PM   #3
arcticap

It has a 1 in 48" twist, and it also teaches kids how to use either peep or open sights.
The action and 209 ignition is not as important as learning how to shoot with PRB's and loading their own powder.
And the kids can even hunt deer with it.
The ignition is obviously stronger and less finicky about which powders can be used than with a sidelock.
And it's not like revolvers aren't a form of an inline ignition.
Having a removable breech plug can also provide some advantages.

Last edited by arcticap; September 4, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Pahoo

Great news !!!

arcticap
Truly appreciate your post as I have been involved with YHEC activities, for a number of years. I also teach Hunter Safety at the M/L station. For years I've been challenged with trying to accommodate the smaller students. We try to address the youth size as well as the adult size and no, one size does not fit all. We teach both MML's and traditional. We started out with one of the CVA Bob-Cat and after it started to give us too many hang/mis-fires, we switched over to a TC-New Englander. It's really worked out fairly well. Now we have a new option and other than the 209-primer. I have no problem with it. Having a 209, does make sense for this new traditions and I'm going to suggest our conservation club, purchase one. This should make a handy "Hunter", as well. ….

Might add that CVA and Traditions has given us instructors, great support. TC use to, as well but they dropped much of their line. …..

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 4, 2018, 12:20 PM   #5
arcticap

Pahoo, I spoke with Traditions and this model seems to only be available from http://www.muzzleloadershop.com/ in Arkansas as they had put in a special order for it.
It's the Buckstalker model #R72008540 with a youth stock.
Parts such as the adult buttstock would be available from Traditions.
Old September 4, 2018, 01:10 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks better than a lot of other modern inlines. Must be the two piece stock.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

arcticap

Good to know and thanks for the info. I wonder if they provide discounts for organization like YHEC, Izzak Walton and other conservation groups as others have done in the past? …..

Be Safe !!!