The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 6, 2018, 01:05 AM   #1
Nodak1858

Ruger Old Army, and parts

Won a ROA on Gunbroker for a decent price. Pretty decent shape, a couple of small pits on the barrel but bore is good the price was right. The only issue is the base retaining pin is in tough shape. The pin has a groove in it like someone pounded it through when the cylinder pin wasn't full inserted. So the detent ball is pressed in and the edge of the hole is rolled over so the ball won't come out. inform think I can touch it up so the ball will be pushed out. Anyone have a line on one or have a replacement? I know Green Mt has a set up but I want to keep fairly stock.
Old July 6, 2018, 12:27 PM   #2
the rifleer

Send it to Ruger, they will fix it up and send it back. They dont care if you are the original buyer.
Old July 6, 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wonder if Ruger has any spare parts for the ROA on their shelves?
Old July 6, 2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Nodak1858

The pin has been discontinued for a while, from my Google-fo looks like everyone is out.
I have some ideas in the head of making a replacement, but it wouldn't be something that's easily taken out. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, but in case down the road I get a conversion cylinder I'd like the option.
Old July 22, 2018, 04:55 PM   #5
arcticap

Jack First makes brand new replacement base pins for the ROA that cost $60 plus $10 S&H.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...pin-blue-cb-29

Belt Mountain sells ROA base pins intended for use with conversion cylinders or for those who want to load off the frame with a loading press.
They cost about $30 plus $2 postage.

http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm
Old July 22, 2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Nodak, is it the base pin that's messed up (the cylinder "axle"), or the base pin retainer?
Old July 23, 2018, 12:07 AM   #7
Nodak1858

Base pin retaining pin, wasn't very clear in the original post.
I made a replacement using a shoulder screw and a hex nut I rounded off and made into a round slotted nut. Turned out pretty decent, but a quick cylinder change isn't happening now.
Old July 23, 2018, 09:09 AM   #8
TheEqualizer

They are making a new run of Old Army guns but I can't find any reference on their site.

I just ordered one so they must have parts and do repairs.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/RugerS...spx?item=BP7-C
Old July 23, 2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

Nodak1858 I bought a quick change cylinder pin for my Ruger Old Army for use with a conversion cylinder. You don't have to mess with the base pin retaining pin with this unit. Works great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfSgTaYcD8

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page:
http://beltmountain.com/ruger.htm
Old July 23, 2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Nodak1858

I check out Gallery and Belt MT, thanks for the links.