The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2016, 07:24 AM   #1
elrotundamundo

460 S&W heavy for caliber bullet project

I posted this over on Cast Boolits and thought it might be of interest here:

A few months ago, my son was mentioning some reading he had done on the internet from people who had experimented with heavy-for-caliber bullets for the.460 S&W and said he would like to try some in his .460 XVR (8 3/8”). He said he would like to try a 500 grain bullet. I told him I would research it and get back to him. His interest is mainly academic, as is mine.

There was little information that I could find and no information with published loads from reliable sources, so I was considering abandoning the idea, but decided to see what Quickload would do with the idea.

Initially, I couldn’t find a 500 grain cast bullet in .452 in any of the bullet files. I downloaded a .bul file from NOE’s website, and used a 500 grain bullet they have at .452 diameter that was designed to be paper patched for the 45-70.

Using that bullet, Quickload told me that 296/H110 and Li’l Gun would be the most efficient powders to use for that bullet with the 8 3/8” barrel.

I decided that, if I was to pursue this project, 296 and H110 would not be my choice,because, lacking published data, I wanted to start out with a load that was under 40,000 PSI according to Quickload, and those powders are not supposed to be used with reduced loads. I then considered Li’l Gun. I wrote an email to Hogdon and asked them if Li’l Gun was safe to use in reduced loads. Their response was not as informative as I would like. He told me that Li’l Gun would “not be as tempermental” as H110/296.

Ultimately, I decided to start with 2400, before trying any of the others, as it would at least give me a point of reference and not be as sensitive to lighter loads.

I then designed and ordered a mold using Mountain Mold’s online software. The bullet, when cast from Lyman #2 alloy, actually weighs 487 grains with gascheck and lube. It has a .340 meplat.
Click image for larger version.

I created a bullet file for this in Quickload and printed out a table of incremented charges using 2400.

I settled on a starting load of 18.9 grains, which Quickload said would peak at 36,443 PSI and leave the barrel at 1129 FPS. This load chronographed somewhat lower, averaging 1072 FPS. Recoil was stout, but manageable.

I worked up a grain at a time to 22 grains. Quickload said it should have a pressure of 53,608 PSI and a velocity of 1273 FPS. Actual velocity averaged 1224FPS. Recoil was very heavy. This is not a fun load to shoot. However,if Idaho ever opens a Cape Buffalo handgun season, we’re set. This load is reminiscent of the original black powder load for 45-70 with the 500 grain bullet.

I think velocity could be increased into the mid 1300s by working up a load with Li’lGun, but I’ll never know because I’m not willing to do the testing.

Pressure is an unknown with these loads, but based on Quickload data and lack of signs of excess pressure, I am comfortable that they are well under maximum SAAMI pressure.

As to practical use, I am sure this load will kill anything in North America and most, if not everything in Africa, but so will the 335 and 395 grain bullets we have previously used. It was a fun and educational project, though.
Old November 26, 2016, 10:34 AM   #2
buck460XVR

Interesting and thanks for the info. How was extraction at the heaviest powder charge?

Lil' Gun has a bad reputation for eating .460 forcing cones in a relatively short amount of time. I don't use it in any revolver anymore. JMTCs.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:12 AM   #3
black mamba

The problem with very heavy bullet loads like yours is usually accuracy, especially at increasing distance. Did you do any accuracy testing, and if so, at what ranges? Thanks!
Old November 27, 2016, 04:05 PM   #4
elrotundamundo

accuracy and Li'lGun

I fired so few loads in the initial test under less than ideal circumstances to get a feel for accuracy. It was toward the end of an overcast day here in North Idaho and the light was beginning to fail, as are my 65 year old eyes, and I was having a hard time distinguishing the open sights and the 3" bullseye. Most of the holes were in a 3 or 4 inch group at 25 yards. I would like to try again under better light at both 25 and 100 yards. The gun does well at 100 yards with 335 grain WFN-GC, around 6 or 7 inches if memory serves. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever shot, probably due to the gain twist rifling. I would be very surprised if the 485 grain bullets would do that well with such a slow twist.

As to using Li'l Gun, I have heard it burns hot and can be erosive. I might be tempted to try it in this application, though, because it will be unlikely that it will be shot that often at maximum velocity. The recoil is very punishing even with my Pro-Aim shooting gloves, which really help moderate the recoil on my other hard-kicking revolvers.

I can maybe see using this load for elk hunting, if I had to come up with a use, but lighter bullets will easily go through an elk. My son carried the .460 in a chest holster with 335 grain WFN bullets at 1550 FPS for bear protection when he went moose hunting in central Alaska 2 years ago. When he goes again next year I will recommend the same load. Bullets heavier than that are just not controllable for follow up shots.
Old November 27, 2016, 04:07 PM   #5
elrotundamundo

easy extraction

Buck460XVR, to answer your extraction question, the cases came out easy.