The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2016, 06:07 PM   #1
rebs

Dillon press

I have a chance to buy a used Dillon square deal setup for 45 acp for 275.00. It was only used a few times and comes with strong mount and aftermarket handle. Is this press suited for someone with large hands? It looks like it is a small press. All I would use it for is 45 acp so I wouldn't be interested in buying other dies or anything for different calibers. How reliable is this press and how accurate is the powder measure ?
Old November 21, 2016, 06:37 PM   #2
1stmar

Sounds like a square deal press. Still a good buy for $275. But you should confirm which model press it is. Square deal doesn't use standard dies. Good price and press.

Last edited by 1stmar; November 22, 2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old November 21, 2016, 07:13 PM   #3
jag2

I just recently bought a square deal b for 9mm. It is EXCELLENT.
Old November 21, 2016, 11:24 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

Extremely reliable to the point that if something goes wrong, just call them and they'll ship the parts no questions asked. I've only had to do that once in about 20 years but I described the symptoms and they sent parts for several possibilities.

As far as powder metering accuracy, that sometimes depends on the powder. Some powders meter more accurately than others. So I've read. It's never been a problem for me.
Old November 22, 2016, 08:26 AM   #5
rebs

yes it has dillon dies in it. The powders I would use are bullseye, unique, WST, should these measure accurately ?
Old November 22, 2016, 10:45 AM   #6
g.willikers

Yes, the square deal is a dependable press.
Mine is 30 years old and still going strong.
Although it has had one refurbishing along the way.
Couldn't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds it's loaded.
Tens of thousands, come to think.
The powder measure is not quite as accurate as the rotary types, I've had.
Usually within a plus or minus .1 grain, though.
That's a .2 grain range, but plenty good enough.
But the price is only $100 less than a new one from Dillon.
Buying it second hand won't affect the warranty, but be sure you get all the parts that are supposed to be with it and it works as it should.
Some folks can ruin just about anything.
P.S.
Especially make sure you get the bullet seat inserts for that die.
There should be at least two, one for round nose bullets and another for flat nose.
As well as both large and small primer fill tubes.
And the shell locators for the cartridge cases in the rotating shell plate.
Those all are usually the first things to get lost.

Last edited by g.willikers; November 22, 2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 22, 2016, 11:48 AM   #7
RickB

I've been loading on two Square Deals for about fifteen years.
If you are going to load only common, straight-walled calibers, they are really excellent presses.
The Square Deal doesn't take up much space on the bench, and I have mine bolted to pieces of lumber that I C-clamp to the bench when I'm loading, and can then move to a shelf when I need the bench space for something else.
I'm 6'4", have pretty large hands, and no problems with handling the components as I'm working the press, but, of course, the smaller the components the more "interesting" it is.
The measure will throw loads within .1 grain, which means a .2 max spread.
The only issues I've had involve the primer feed system.
The parts involved are plastic, which means they are cheap and easy to replace, but it can be a bit frustrating in mid-session, to partially disassemble the press to diagnose and correct a problem.
Dillon's warranty is no-BS, so you are covered for life if it ever needs fixing.
Old November 22, 2016, 01:29 PM   #8
g.willikers

OOps, that's what I meant - .2grains, not 2 grains.
Forgot that pesky little dot.
Ack.
Old November 22, 2016, 07:04 PM   #9
rebs

I realize its only about 100.00 less than a new one but this one has hardly been used and comes with a strong mount and the after market curved roller handle Those two items are around 100.00.
Old November 23, 2016, 08:20 AM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

That's a good deal. The press alone is $389 on their website. And the strong mount is a necessary addition IMO.

I use Unique exclusively. Maybe too much since I also use it when I reload shotshells. Different press of course.

It meters Unique just fine and will meter all such powders well. If you're using it for just one caliber, you'll get the desired setting and, assuming you use the same load for all your 45 ACP weapons, you'll be set.

If you want to change calibers then you'd want to buy toolhead, powder measure, etc, and have separate kits for different calibers.

But it. And if you have any issues or questions, call Dillon. Keep us posted.
Old November 23, 2016, 10:47 AM   #11
g.willikers

If it's not been used much, make doubly sure you get all the afore mentioned little bits and pieces, the ones the former owner may no longer be even aware of having.
The stuff most used presses seem to be missing.
Old November 23, 2016, 12:01 PM   #12
David R

You can increase the accuracy of the powder measure by polishing the inside with FINE like 600 to 2,000 grit. Powder slides better. It worked for me.

David
Old November 23, 2016, 12:41 PM   #13
jmorris

I have to SD's that are over 30 years old now, new they were around $130, now they are closer to $400.

I likely wouldn't buy a new one today for that price but there are worse things you could spend $275 on.
Old November 23, 2016, 10:39 PM   #14
sawdustdad

I'd pay $275 for that press in a heatbeat, and I already have three SDBs.
I leave each press set up for a specific cartridge that I shoot a lot of. Output is 400-500 rounds/hour with the flanking bullet and brass bins, which speed up the process significantly. Go for it. You won't regret it.
Old November 24, 2016, 08:47 AM   #15
jmorris

Quote:
The parts involved are plastic, which means they are cheap and easy to replace, but it can be a bit frustrating in mid-session, to partially disassemble the press to diagnose and correct a problem.
I never have had to pay a cent for parts for either of my SD's in more than 3 decades but I have had to swap a few out.

The plastic tip on the primer tube is the usual suspect for priming issues. It's easy to mess it up. The knurled cap is best ran loose, by loose I mean not even "snug" or the low primer alarm is the only thing that keeps it from backing off further.

The other sure fire way to ruin the tip is to come into contact with the anvil/cup. It is held into the aluminum slide with a set screw, so it needs to be fully seated before tightening the screw and needs to be tight enough that the spring won't push it up in operation.
Old November 25, 2016, 12:06 AM   #16
salvadore

Revs, I've had my square deal before it was a b. Dillon upgraded mine and has kept it running since mid eighties?...whenever it first came out. I don't know about used, but mine has been in use 30+ years in 3 calibers a gazillion rounds, buy it.
Old November 25, 2016, 08:59 AM   #17
jmorris

Over the years they sent parts to upgrade the older ones, primer alarm and the different linkages to convert the powder measures.

Somewhere in there that also added a gusset to the base casting (also changed spent primer cup design)but they never changed that part on either of mine. I guess they don't bother unless you manage to break it.

Last time I called them for replacement link arms bushings, instead of the usual delrin bushings they sent me another set of link arms with bronze bushings pressed in them.

Old November 28, 2016, 02:22 AM   #18
cpt-t

rebs: I bought a used Dillon Square Deal at a gun show a couple of years ago for $200.00 dollars. It is setup to reload both 9MM & 40 S/W. And it works just great. I have loaded several 1000 rounds of each 9MM & 40 S/W. The people at Dillon`s Customer Service are just great to deal with. And even tho I bought my Dillon Square Deal Press used they told me that their NO B/S Warranty still covered mine. I like it so much that I am looking at another used Dillon Square Deal Press, that a friend has that is setup to reload 45LC & 44MAG. The Dillon Powder Drop works very well for me so far. But I still have to physically look at the powder level on each piece of brass befor I can seat a bullet. And I think that is a good thing.
ken