The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 2, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Old Stony

Waking up Brutus

Well...deer season is just a month away now, and I decided it was time to wake up Brutus and see if he was ready for action again. A very good friend of mine from California, that has since passed, gave me this rifle years ago...and it will stay with me through the remainder of my years. It is a .62 caliber and he called it Brutus. I took it out to the range this morning just to run a few rounds through it and see if all was well and ready for deer season. I shot it at 75 yds. as it's hard for my old eyes to see the sight in stickers any further, but I think it will do.

Old October 2, 2018, 03:13 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Brutus still delivers.
Old October 2, 2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Model12Win

Very nice hawkins gun!!
Old October 2, 2018, 04:45 PM   #4
AKexpat

That is a beautiful gun. Is it a maple stock? My eyes are terrible also. Cataract surgery on both eyes last month. So much for the good old days. Good luck with your hunt. Venison is always good on the menu. When you take a bite think of me. Being from Alaska about 12 years ago moose was my favorite but I don't hunt anymore. Getting too old.

Again, good luck with your hunt.

Have a good night, sir.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old October 2, 2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Old Stony

It is actually an English sporting rifle, with a maple stock. When my friend gave it to me, it was in a walnut stock and the barrel was slightly canted to the point it couldn't be corrected...so I had another friend make me a new maple stock.
AKexpat….I have had the cataract surgery myself and it sure made a difference. I hope yours works out as well. Your eyes aren't perfect when it all heals up...but it's a lot better. I seem to be winning a lot more ribbons again at our monthly muzzleloader shoots !
Old October 2, 2018, 04:57 PM   #6
Hawg

That one's a keeper for sure.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:47 PM   #7
woodnbow

Nice shooting! As efficient as modern Arms are, there’s so much to be said for hunting with a functional piece of art such as that rifle.
Old October 3, 2018, 02:16 AM   #8
Stormson

New.. Old.. Ancient... Dont matter, what works, WORKS.

That one works!