The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 23, 2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Bucksnort1

European American Armory Revolver - 357

I read on an older posting where someone speculates EAA simply trimmed 2" from a 4" barrel to make the 2" snub nose version. This may be true but help me here. What am I missing?

If a 4" version is cut to 2", wouldn't that eliminate the front sight? I'm looking at my EAA with the 2" barrel. I do see machine marks on the muzzle and there is no crown; however, there is a sloped area above the muzzle up to the end of the front sight which does not look like it was machined at the last minute. Did they produce this gun with two inches of barrel protruding in front of the front sight then cut this portion?
Old September 23, 2018, 11:32 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...there is no crown..." Suggests it wasn't done in any factory. So do machine marks.
Old September 23, 2018, 11:54 AM   #3
walnut1704

They may not have to move the sight at all. Taurus brings their 2" guns in with longer barrels, but it's just a tube sticking out past the front sight. The laws prescribe a minimum barrel length but they don't require a certain position for the front sight. So they design and manufacture them intending to trim them. Stupid law.

This is what they look like when they come in to Taurus Miami. They are then trimmed and crowned. EAA may or may not do as good a job at it.

Last edited by walnut1704; September 23, 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 23, 2018, 07:50 PM   #4
GarandTd

I have read that the importation laws require a certain barrel length and that once in country, they are trimmed down. It is also my understanding that the EAA Windicator has a barrel shroud. The snubnose versions are imported with a 4" barrel, but have the 2" shroud. The sight is part of the barrel shroud, not the barrel itself.

How do you like your Windicator? I've considered buying one before.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Bucksnort1

I am pleased with mine. I wanted a decent budget gun in .357, one I can carry on my hip when I'm out and about in the Arizona desert and mountains. This gun is just what I wanted at the right price of $325. It was new when I bought it.

The reason I was confused about the sights and barrels is because EAA also has a 4" length that looks like the 2" but longer. It doesn't look anything like the photo in this thread.
Old September 26, 2018, 12:13 AM   #6
Bucksnort1

GarandTD,

The gun is a bit on the heavy side at about 29 ounces. Mine is in a nickel finish. Double action is not great but in single action, the action is ultra smooth, as smooth as any of my S&W wheel guns.
Old September 26, 2018, 12:16 AM   #7
Bucksnort1

I watched a You Tube video about this gun. The author has an interesting thought about the name, "Windicator". His comment is completely accurate but I don't know if this is what the manufacturer intended. He said that in German (this is the accurate part), the letter "w" is pronounced like the letter "v"; therefore, Windicator becomes Vindicator. Hmmm?
Old September 26, 2018, 11:14 AM   #8
GarandTd

I think I would rather have a heavy 357 than a light one. It's role would be range and woods carry. It would not serve as an EDC in my case. I think I would go after the 4" model to capitalize on the power, but I'm not sure if there is a big enough difference to justify the cost.
Old September 28, 2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

As mentioned the 2" model is imported as a 4" with a 2" shroud. Then the barrel cut to fit. Some have complained about the unfinished muzzle, tool marks, and no crown. Mine doesn't seem to care that it hasn't the refined beauty of a S&W at twice the price. It shoots just as well, if not better than anything I have shot with a 2" barrel, and a few with longer tubes as well.
You may also hear the rumors of the Windicator frame being made of "pot metal", zinc, ZAMAK, or some othermaterial unapproved in the realm of gun snobbery. Where the 38 Spcl. version does have an alloy frame that does not pass some restrictive state's melt test, the 357 Magnum is built on a steel frame.
A bit large, and heavy for concealed carry, to me anyway. But for the price they are hard to beat.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 29, 2018, 08:09 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

I'm not sure why someone always has to pipe up and call it a "V"indicator and go on to call it a "German" gun. "German" isn't the correct name for Germany. It's "Bundesrepublik Deutschland." Ever hear someone who is German pronounce "Germany?" Very personal pet peeve...

I would add that a Taurus 66 in stainless steel can be had for $350. The blued version is usually 30 less. When considering the 4" model Windicator, I think the Taurus is a substantially better value with much better features, build quality, support, and costumer service.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:33 AM   #11
GarandTd

I've shot a 4" model 66. I like it. I even shot it well in double action.