The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2018, 09:46 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

New book: Moravian Gunmakers of the American Revolution

Published by the Kentucky Rifle Association.

The first volume on Moravian Gunmakers was impressive in itself. Just received the second volume yesterday and it is well worth the wait. Besides the photography, the text seems excellent. I haven't had a chance to read it but I did go over the Edward Marshall long walk rifle. That's supposed to be the rifle that Marshall carried when sent out in the Walking Purchase in Pennsylvania.

For those unfamiliar with the Walking Purchase, the Lenape/Delaware agreed with the sons of William Penn (who badly needed money and ignored their father's advice to treat the Indians fairly) to sell as much land as a man can walk in a day and a half's time. The Lenape/Delaware definition of walk was a leisurely stroll, sit down to smoke, prepare a meal, and then move on. The whites blazed a trail and had three men of whom Marshall was one, jog, trot or walk very quick to cover as much distance as possible. The Lenape/Delaware cried, "Foul! No sale of land." The Pennyslvanians got the Iroquois Nation to intervene (go to war) against their little brother and compel the Lenape/Delaware to relinquish their land to the whites.

Some images from the Moravian Gunmakers of the American Revolution were republished here: https://contemporarymakers.blogspot....-american.html
Old August 14, 2018, 03:01 PM   #2
ThomasT

I had heard that story before but had forgotten about it. I have no idea where I read it in the past. Thanks for posting it.
Old August 15, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Best book about the Natives and the Colonists (of any nation) is The First Frontier by Scott Weidensaul.