The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
jg0001

New Shotgun OWNER... starter questions

Well, as noted in my prior "help me pick a shotgun", I ended up going with and getting a Benelli Super Sport (pictures to follow on update, I promise!). Previously, I have not had any long guns, though I do have 5 semi-auto handguns and a high powered revolver.

Anywho, when I got each of my handguns, I had the following take place soon after and I'm wondering if there's anything different to do for my new shotty:

(1) before any range action -- get familiar with the weapon, read the manual, etc. -- I've done this as always

(2) do an initial basic cleaning; I have both Hoppes and Breakfree CLR products; I use bore snakes for the bores, patches and mini q-tips for the rest -- I have yet to do this - is it enough to just clean the barrel for now with a light wipedown of the rest of the shotgun? I'm not sure I want to brave the dissassembly process right now.

(3) acquire additional related items -- for handguns, this usually meant extra magazines, holsters, etc.; for the shotgun, I've ordered up a shot shell bag, sling, and 2 protective 'socks' -- oh and I also ordered up the 'extra-high comb' which cost $95... I may get the "raised comb" as well which is the middle ground one, but for now, I couldn't find it in stock anyway -- WHAT ELSE ARE WORTHWHILE SHOTGUN ACCESSORIES? I see a lot of photos with the side-saddle things, but am not sure if I like the ones that cover the stock. Are the ones that cover the back side of the action just as good?

(4) acquire various loads of ammo -- I've gotten a few cases of suggested TARGET loads as well as a case of heavy game loads (possibly necessary for a breaking in period (manual mentions it, though it's not likely necessary))

The one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not I should buy a case that will let me keep the gun assembled (it is rather long at 51.6"). The case it came with is designed for having the barrel unattached. It assembles easily enough at home, but it could be cumbersome to do in the field. This is NOT a home defense weapon, so having it "ready to go" is not a requirement -- I'm just not sure if having to breakdown the weapon every time I go shooting is going to be a pain or not.

One other item: the gun is set up to use a metal bead mid versus a red bar front sight. It is not setup with rails for a red-dot. However, I DO have a nice Eotech XPS 3-0 coming my way soon, and wonder if it's worth trying to mount that in some fashion. Other than at the range, I will likely get some SKEET action in with a relative of mine. Thoughts?

Lastly, the shotty came with 5 total chokes. Is there a mid-ground one that's fine for skeet type shooting and also functional for a short INDOOR range (max 25yds)? I don't want a massive spread of shot bouncing all over the place. (IIRC, the choke may not matter much for the short indoor range, but I want to be very careful before I go there with it; outdoors is less of a concern.)

Until I get my own photos up (they are hard to take), here is what I'm talking about:

Last edited by jg0001; June 2, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome to shotgun ownership...
1)Good first move with any gun...
2)I would go ahead and "brave" the full field strip even if I had to have help in person or from youtube or forums such as this'n.
3)with long guns of all type I wait until i run them around different uses to decide if additional "toys" are needed and which ones... The simple stock sleeve sidesaddle is fine for HD but I don't need one. You have plenty of time to decide if several hundred bucks worth of "gizmos" are required to suit your needs.
4)I suggest several hundred rounds of light target loads, a hundred or more of 00buck (winchester 15 round 9 ball count boxes) and 30-45 (15 count winchester ammo from walmart) slugs to get your basic POA/POI coordinated for a basic break in for you and the gun...
For in home use, no case is suggested as it limits accessibility IMHO and raises risk of rust. My cases are treated as transport only devices. Since not an HD weapon, I would have a wall hung gun rack to "store it on"... If it were me I would have a full length carry case for transport and take it out and put it on the wall rack after returning home. A safe is the other good way to store it.
For clay sports, the simple bead is the best "sight" option. Nothing else will ever be on my guns. I do not shoot formal clay sports nor "target shoot" except to stay in tune with my guns. Anything strapped atop a shotgun will, IMHO, inhibit the ability of the shooter in all but beercan shooting.
Hope my unworldly redneck info isn't a hinderance!

Brent
Old May 31, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
xm21

A chamber brush would be a good thing to have, the boresnake won't do a thing to clean the chamber and forcing cone.Enjoy your new SHOTGUN.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4
oneounceload

Congrats on the new gun - to answer your last question first -

If it came with 5 chokes, odds are it came with C, IC, M IM and F. For skeet shooting at a range, the C or IC will do just fine. You do NOT want to mount sights of any kind for that activity. Clay targets require you focus on the target, NOT the sight.

Keep your breakdown case - it is much easier to transport and keep the gun from damage.

You do not need heavy field loads for a "break in" period. Clean the new gun, lube as appropriate, go shooting, clean when done. Use target loads for targets, your shoulder will thank you, especially in 30 years or so

BigJim can address the high comb; personally not something that works for me

for cleaning, I prefer to use a cleaning rod in the chuck of a battery drill with a bronze brush. I have bore snakes, but they really don't clean the barrel that well

Otherwise, sounds like you're good to go - have fun
Old May 31, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5
zippy13

If your going to try target shooting, I suspect you soon want special safety glasses. Typically, new shooters find conventional glasses ride too low and the frame is right in the path of the target. You might want to consider a pair of shotgun sport glasses.

Many comp shooters choose Decot Hy-Wyds or knock-offs. Check out http://www.sportglasses.com/
Old May 31, 2009, 10:28 PM   #6
olddrum1

Before you buy a bore snake, wire brushes or anything like that go pickup a product called a Tico Tool. Usally you can find them a Walmarts. Best thing to clean a barrel with. They last a lifetime, fast to use, and do a great job. The only thing that they will not do is pull melted plastic out of the chokes. None of the rest will do it either with out a lot of trouble.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:36 PM   #7
olddrum1

A good set of glasses (per Z13) and also hearing protection. I would use the break down case in that it is easier to transport the gun without a lot of problems getting it into the trunk, behind the seat, or with several buddies loading up what ever your riding in.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8
jg0001

(as far as glasses, I do have 4 or 5 decent pairs, nothing special)
(with regards to 'ears', I have 2 generic sets (for guests) and PELTOR SWAT electronic muffs for myself -- they are FLATish, not round, so that getting in close to the stock shouldn't be a problem)
Old June 1, 2009, 11:49 AM   #9
zippy13

Fuzzy Sticks

+1 on the Tico Tool

olddrum1
is correct about Tico Tools. They are a quantum step forward in shotgun cleaning.
I've had mine (12/16, 20, and 28/410) so long that I'd forgotten what they are called. I had to PM olddrum1 to ask if he was talking about what are known as Fuzzy Sticks among comp shooters.
I use two of them in each size: one that's kinda ugly for the first pass and a second lightly oiled for the final pass. My initial thought was that when the first one worn out, I'd introduce a new one into the mix.
Just about the time I was going to retire the first really ugly one, I happened to hit it with a blast of spray gun cleaner. I was astonished, the portion I'd inadvertently sprayed looked like it was new. This was before the tool was advertised as being washable.
When they put the two piece unit on the market (early 1990s?), my gun club got some as comp prizes. Now I see there's a retractable version, as well. I'll never get to try it because the ones I have now will last the rest of my life. And, I still haven't broken into my supply of two-piece units.

For the imaginative Star Wars fan, they make satisfactory training light sabers.

Last edited by zippy13; June 3, 2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old June 1, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
oneounceload

I used to use the Tico tool when they first came out - personally, I prefer to use like them like a bore snake - for a quick light cleaning until I can really clean the barrels. Cleaning them is like cleaning a paint roller - laborious, but Dawn does a good job of getting it clean
Old June 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #11
BigJimP

Couple of thoughts:

For choke on Super Sport - I find the crio barrel throws tight patterns. So for Skeet - I use the Cyclinder choke. For 16yard Trap I use the IC. With the Super Sport - I go one choke lighter than I would normally for another gun.

Don't mount any kind of a sight on that gun ... please ....

I carry my Super Sport in a soft sided carry case ( fully assembled ) / I think its a Michael's soft sided zipper case but Cabellas, etc all have soft sided cases to fit that gun ( remember to measure the extended choke in the gun - for overall length). The one I have has a pouch on the side of the case - for the extra recoil pads, etc ( but I carry a little rubbermaid plastic box / with the extra recoil pads, comb pads, etc - and I carry the chokes and shims in a fishing lure case ( with 5 slots ) just a cheap plastic one.

The instruction manual is very clear on how to fully break down that gun. I would recommend you take it down / lube it - and reassemble it. It isn't hard - they have pictures, etc in the manual. If you have a buddy that is more knowledgeable on shotguns ask them to come by and help you thru the anxiety. Lube the outside of the bolt assembly - and the rails it slides on ( a little light spray oil / or I use Break Free ) and a little on the wet side is ok. Put some grease on the forend nut threads. Take the chokes out of the barrel - lube the threads in the barrel with Break Free and lube the choke threads with Break Free as well ( or a little light spray oil at the very least ). I don't like grease on my choke tubes .

I like the extra high higher comb insert / but that depends on your dimensions - none of us can guess which one you might need.

Congratulations on the gun again.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Huntergirl

Your approach to a new shotgun is impeccably astute. But you knew that, and just wanted reinforcement. Honey, now just go shoot it.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:47 PM   #13
jg0001

What's the difference between the 1 piece and 2 piece Tico Tools? Also, I see there is a retractable one as well. www.natchezss.com has decent prices on them, but I'll wait until I find other things to buy too as the shipping adds to much as it is (or until I can go to a Pennsylvania Walmart).
Old June 1, 2009, 08:48 PM   #14
jg0001

Question -- I ordered the Benelli sling (from their website)... does it come with the necessary gear to attach it? I see the hole on the stock, but where on the front end does the sling attach?
Old June 1, 2009, 08:55 PM   #15
oneounceload

For clay target shooting, you're NOT going to want to mount a sling. IIRC, it attaches to the end of the mag cap if it is so equipped.

Personally, I find the two piece Tico tool to NOT be as strong as the one piece - I have both and the two piece's weakest point is the joint between the two pieces
Old June 1, 2009, 09:52 PM   #16
olddrum1

The one piece is roughly 30 inchs long and the two piece screws together. I have had mine for more than seven years and still waiting to get one of the two piece ones.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #17
jg0001

Quote:
you're NOT going to want to mount a sling
Good info between that and the clearcut opinion that nothing else should really be mounted on it either. Works for me!

Tonight I did brave the takedown... however, I didn't get farther than the major parts -- I did most of what BigJimP suggested. I didn't see much reason to completely disassemble the action's internals. I DID run over all the major pieces with Breakfree CLP and gave the barrel itself a good spraying and bore snaking (I'll get a Tico Tool soon enough).

I find that this is a good idea on any gun and it makes future cleanups a lot easier if there is a thin layer of CLP already in the 'important' places (thin as in 'so thin you pretty much wiped it all off' thin).

This gun really is a beauty and the fit, finish, and feel of it just make me want to zip out to the range right now.

I took a few photos, but it is difficult to photograph this thing since it is so huge. I can't get decent lighting across the whole thing without being too far away to get good detail.

Last edited by jg0001; June 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:03 AM   #18
BigJimP

Its a first step - next time it'll be easier / I'm always pretty carful with a new gun too ...
Old June 3, 2009, 12:52 PM   #19
jg0001

I had a TREMENDOUSLY tough time getting the Hoppes bore snake through the barrel... so much so that I worried that the little string (attached to the big 'rope snake' might rip off. Is this normal? [As an aside, I did order the Tico Tools]
Old June 3, 2009, 01:20 PM   #20
BigJimP

Yes, its normal - drop the string thru the barrel - stand on it - and move gun up and drag it thru ...