The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
possumman

870 express preventing rust

Hi, I just bought an 870 express for HD. I hear that they are bad about rusting. I do keep all my guns clean and wiped with oil. Is this going to be enough, or should I consider some type of finish, and if so what do you reccomend, ie. duracoat, parkeriziation...?
Old March 26, 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
rem870hunter

i use a silicone cloth. wipe everything real good after i take it to the range or field especially if its gotten snow or rain on it. after cleaning the barrel i run a swab soaked with rem oil inside it.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
xm21

If you coat it heavily with oil and let it soak in and then wipe of the excess it stops the rusting problem.I have used both CLP and Ballistol and both have worked well,using a hair dryer to heat up the metal helps it soak in good.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4
publius

Yep, the Express is more prone to rust that most guns. As an earlier poster said, spray it down good w/your choice of gun oil and let it sit overnight then wipe off excess. get some oil as soon as possible after you go shooting. Or you could send it to Birdsong and never worry about rust again.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:23 AM   #5
spikespeigel

And whatever you do, don't just leave it sitting in a cloth case after shooting on a misty morning.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:28 AM   #6
OLNfan

wipe of excesss? I have always giving it a good cleaning interntally of what ever firearm im using and then I give it a light coat on the outside, and just leave it their..why would you wipe it away?? (I think I might be doing something wrong now lol)
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 31, 2009, 01:37 AM   #7
spikespeigel

I agree... I was under the impression you should leave a light coat of oil... That's what I've always done and I've had no problems.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:50 AM   #8
OLNfan

Im glad to hear that lol I havnt encounterd any problems yet either but if some one went a technical route on me by saying it corodes the blueing or something I would of been up set haha. thanks for the re-assurance.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 31, 2009, 02:00 AM   #9
spikespeigel

Don't get me wrong though, I'm just as curious as you are to see if we've been operating in the dark all this time...
Old March 31, 2009, 02:42 AM   #10
Wallabing

I take my 870 down until it's just the reciever, I then spray it down inside out with CLP, then let it airdry for a few hours. I then begin cleaning off the excess with barrel patches.

By doing this, the parkerized surface on an 870 express "absorbs" the oil.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:15 PM   #11
zeke66

Ballistol is AMAZING stuff. The finish on the 870 just soaks it up & it leaves less residue than oil.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:48 PM   #12
RoscoeC

Johnsons Paste Wax. Good for wood too.
NRA Life Member
Old April 1, 2009, 09:46 AM   #13
MatchKingMK

On a quiet night I can hear my Remingtons rusting.
Old April 1, 2009, 09:57 AM   #14
protectedbyglock

I use Eezox. It was recommended to me a long time ago, and I have never gone back to anything else after using it.
I use it for rust prevention only, and usually lube with a little bit of heavy synthetic motor oil.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:32 PM   #15
OLNfan

Lol good call on the "on a quiet nite.." gave me a good laugh
Old April 1, 2009, 10:18 PM   #16
dalecooper51

Quote:
Johnsons Paste Wax. Good for wood too.
Another vote for Johnson's Paste wax. It does a good job.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:46 AM   #17
youngoilguy

i have 5 remington guns. and 3 870's (all "express"). never had a lick of rusting problems. biggest solution to prevent rust, use a dehumidifier in your safe. don't just keep it "out". i like the remington dehumidifier that you can plug into the wall to recharge.

after i use/handle them i wipe them down with hoppe's lubricating oil and then wipe off the excess.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:14 AM   #18
Super-Dave

I live in florida and I do not have rust problems on my 870's. I do not know why because everyone here always says its a problem. I also know we have more hummidity than almost all other states.

Now I do not keep my 870 in the car or back of a truck, but so far no rust.

All I have ever used was brake free or that remington gun oil.

Maybe it is the exposure to snow. Mine has never been in snow.

George Orwell
Old April 2, 2009, 03:05 PM   #19
bamafan4life

my 870 express magnum had a pretty good rust prevention i had it sittin by the bed and it was picked up and fingerd hundred of times and i had that gun during football season to. which is when i neglect my guns id come home from practice exausted and take a shower and go to bed as soon as possible. then on fridays id come in late from playing all night too exausted to even take a shower go to bed and cramp all night then wake up saturday real early sore and sometimes (when my arms where so sore i couldnt aim a rifle) id take that 870 threw brush and it would sit out in the weather with me all day as i sat under a shade tree resting then id go home and put it beside my bed without even whiping it down. sold it 2 or three months ago to my buddy and he was amazed of how good a condition it was in. i only had 1 1'' scratch in the wood and the metal looked brand spankin new.
Old April 2, 2009, 03:49 PM   #20
SteveRick

rem oil on an old shirt, take it down the outside and inside of the barrel, action, and stock. Keeps it nice and clean, I do it every 6 months, unless I go shooting, then its when I get home.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:50 PM   #21
protectedbyglock

I used to use remoil, too, but it's not really a rust preventative like some other products are.

I carry an LCP in my pocket 24/7. Pocket carry is hard on steel guns because they get knocked around and bumped, and they get warm/cold/wet, etc.
I have used many different oils, including regular remoil and remoil with a special "rust inhibitor". The special formula remoil lasted about 2 days before starting to surface rust again. The regular remoil, outers gun oil, etc. etc. you could just about watch the rust form.
I used Eezox on it, and the rust didn't come back for about a month. I then applied it again (about 2 months ago) and I haven't seen a speck of rust since.
I use it on all my guns that used to rust. Try it. If it doesn't work for you, you're out like $8.

(BTW, my fiancee collects turtle lamps and she's been stealing my Eezox to use on the metal parts on them.)
Old April 2, 2009, 09:53 PM   #22
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
or should I consider some type of finish, and if so what do you reccomend, ie. duracoat, parkeriziation...?
I recently used Brownell's Baking Laquer on an old 870 I picked up. It's easy to use and looks great. I'm no expert, but I don't think it'll rust at all with this type of finish. You can get it in all different colors as well.
Old April 3, 2009, 04:53 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've owned one 870 just shy of 50 years. It's seen salt marshes, goose blinds, deer stands and hot July range days. Round count is well into 5 figures. Other than a couple years spent in LA's beachfront communities, it's lived its life on the banks of the Chesapeake. Humidity is a constant companion.

Zero rust.

Usual PM includes wiping on a thin coat of oil, SLIP 200 or CLP. Then I wipe off as much as I can.

An old thread on cleaning may help you.

Elbow grease is the key to rustless shotguns.

HTH....
Old April 6, 2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Super-Dave

I have a theory. Maybe certain peoples chemistry causes the metal to rust more. That is each of us have unique properties in our body sweat and oil on our skin. For those of you who have sever rust problems on your gun maybe it is do to the chemicals your own body produces.

Perhaps those with the most problems have the most acidic or salinic body chemicals and this is what is producing the rust.

or

Remington is operating a seccret black ops factory in china where under paid gay midget labor produces these inferior rust generating finish on subquality guns under remington's name.

George Orwell
Old May 31, 2009, 08:37 PM   #25
Miller77

Glad i found this thread. I bought my 870 last fall and used it last deer season and havent opened it since then. I care for it like all my other guns but my 870 got alot of rust on it. The side of the reciever, the barrel, and where the barrel sits in the receiver. I am just curious if some of the older blued 870 may have been better done then mine. mine just has some black coating on it and it dosent seem to prevent rust at all. I am a little concerned and am tempted to simply refinish the gun.