The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 20, 2017, 04:33 PM   #1
white_collar

Friend selling guns needs value

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to ask, but if I'm wrong, hopefully I can be forgiven. A friend died and his widow wants to sell about 15 firearms, some pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Two of them caught my eye quickly. One is a German Mauser with the markings: 118337 WaffenFabrik Mauser A-G Oberndorf A.N. Mausers PATBNT. Picture included. Has one mag.

The second is a .210 shotgun by Remington Wing Master Model 870. Both are in great condition, especially the Remington. Picture included. Does anyone know a good asking price for these? I think her husband brought the German pistol back with him after WWII.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mauser Pistol 2.jpg (49.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Remington 210 Model 870 1.jpg (26.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Remington 210 Model 870 2.jpg (49.0 KB, 116 views)
Old March 20, 2017, 05:49 PM   #2
FITASC

You can go to places like GunBroker and look up what folks are selling them for as well as what they actually sold for.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 20, 2017, 06:05 PM   #3
dahermit

Her plan is to sell them. Therefore, take pictures and auction them off on Gunbroker. If they are anything special, the selling price will likely get to what they are worth. Be sure to find out what it will cost to ship them (through a FFL dealer), and note that on the ad as in addition to the selling price. I have sold several guns that way and was satisfied with what I got.
Old March 20, 2017, 06:20 PM   #4
ligonierbill

If you have documentation on the bring back for the Mauser, be sure to note that. It adds value for collectors. Yes, look to Gunbroker. Go to their Advanced search function and hit Completed Auctions. You will find actual sale prices. If you just look at postings, you will see a lot of optimists. Shipping: the long gun can be shipped by the owner via USPS. Google it to see the rules. Some dealers will not accept a shipment from a non-FFL, but I think most will. Mine does, and the last time I shipped a rifle I had no problem with acceptance. Only FFL can ship handguns USPS. However, since UPS and FedEx charge high rates for firearms, it's probably worth paying a FFL a few bucks to ship USPS. FFL fee + his cost (fixed rate priority mail box) will be cheaper.

FWIW, I just bought a pretty nice 1910 Mauser on GB for $416, but it had no provenance.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Itsa Bughunt

Have the widow go through and list every gun and serial number. Have her go through Gunlist to see values for herself.

Maybe suggest she give some of them to his friends or donate to a charity NRA?

Inevitably someone will come along afterwards who will tell her she got ripped off because he knows someone who would have paid a LOT MORE.

Don't get caught in the middle of this.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Itsa Bughunt

BTW, that Mauser looks GREAT. I wish I could afford it.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:37 AM   #7
JT-AR-MG42

WC,

IMHO

Would need to see better photo of the Mauser
because the photo shown (to me) sure makes the gun
look like it has been polished and re-blued.

The wear to the wood stock is very heavy while
the blue looks new.

Either way, if she wants to dump them, just put
them on GB and live with the sale.

If you have no GB feedback as a seller, it will lower the bids
that you receive.

My advice, unasked for, would be for you to involve the widow
in every aspect of the sales process.
That way if things go south on values achieved,
you will not have to be explaining it.

JT
Old March 21, 2017, 08:15 AM   #8
Don P

the Remington was made in 1979
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 22, 2017, 10:42 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-AR-MG42
Would need to see better photo of the Mauser
because the photo shown (to me) sure makes the gun
look like it has been polished and re-blued... The wear to the wood stock is very heavy while the blue looks new.
Agreed. The original Mauser bluing had more of a grey cast rather than a deep blue-black, and it seems to have been fragile, often showing high-edge wear even on a relatively high-condition pistol. The total lack of wear and incorrect color is suspicious. Also, IIRC Mauser pocket-pistol triggers had a dark color case finish, so the blued trigger is incorrect. The edges of the sideplate look rounded off, a sign of overzealous polishing; the edges should fit perfectly flush. Lastly, I think those grips have been sanded, probably to obscure scratches.

BTW the pistol is popularly known as a Model 1914. It should be marked 7,65mm for 7.65mm Browning, the European name for the cartridge known in the U.S. as .32 Auto or .32 ACP.

IIRC these pistols have a reputation for breaking springs, so it should be checked out by someone who's familiar with them before being fired. The gun uses flat leaf springs that are difficult to replace. This factor IMHO makes them a poor choice as a range toy.

These pistols are actually fairly common but seem popular with people who don't realize that Mauser made pistols other than the Broomhandle. I think it's a $250 pistol but she may get more from a sucker who can't recognize the refinish.

Last edited by carguychris; March 23, 2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: stuff added
Old March 23, 2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Scorch

OK, really quickly, the Mauser is worth maybe $200-ish, and the 870 is worth $500-ish.

The Mauser has been buffed and blued, so its value is actually lower than one with the original phosphate finish. The fact that it has a magazine is the only redeeming factor, if it were lacking a magazine its value would be essentially nil.

The Remington 870 Wingmaster is a late 1970s gun with the pressed checkering. Its value is lower than an 870 with cut checkering. It also has a fixed choke, which will draw the value down. If you find the right buyer, it will sell in a heartbeat, but finding someone who wants a glossy shotgun with a 28" barrel and wood stock may take some time.