The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

I want a shotgun...

But I'm poor. I watched my friend walk into a local pawn shop and buy a Mossberg 88 Maverick for $118 out the door in cash. I think I should have gotten it first...

I own several fine long guns and handguns, but I'm shotgun ignorant. I know I want one that I can change barrels from birding to home defence, and can change the tubes that hold the shells out.

I guess this is more of a rant/declaration than a question. Any shopping advice would be greatly appreciated though. I love you guys!

I just had shoulder surgery, and the pain pills and muscle relaxant compel me to tell everyone that...
Old September 1, 2010, 01:05 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you could be satisfied with 6 rounds (5+1) than I suggest looking at the Mossberg 500. If you prefer the crossbolt safety, the Maverick 88 is for you. Both of these are lower price than the cheapest priced remingtons.
Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:10 PM   #3
dawico

The Maverick and the 500 use the same barrels, so either is easy to find extra barrels for.

On occasion, Cabelas has a combo pack on sale for the Rem 870 with a HD and a long barrel. This is probably cheaper than buying a gun and extra barrel for about any cheaply priced (good) shotgun. Other places might have this combo, and it may be available for other guns also.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Watch the classifieds and go to gun shows. Used shotguns aren't that expensive, or hard to come by. While I have to admit that I've never so much as held either of the models that hogdogs mentioned, I'd rather spend just a little more and get a Remington 870.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

dawico, the mossberg and maverick combos are far less than the remington combo... I hadn't even seen remington combos until a few years ago. I bought my first Mossberg combo in 1988 or so and it was less than an 870 with one barrel. Both had nice wood.

Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
hardworker

Mossberg makes a fine beater shotgun. No fancy inlays or checkering to get scuffed up by actual use. Wipe the barrel down with oil every once in a while so it doesn't rust from being stored. Dependable as any gun out there. There's a reason the military and law enforcement use it. Don't listen to people who call them crap.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Mossberg makes a fine beater shotgun
Guess I just don't get why someone would WANT to beat their gun, no matter which one, in lieu of taking care of it.........
Old September 1, 2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Deerhunter

I own both the Mossberg 500 (about 1988/1989) and the Remington 870 Express Mag (1997/1998). I like them both. The Mossberg is a great beater gun. I got the 807 cause I wanted something in synthetic and I like Remington. The Mossy was a gift.

Both of them are 4+1. Not sure I have ever seen a 5+1 out of the box unless you get one with the extended tube. For hunting small game / waterfowl you need to keep it plugged to 2+1 and for deer you can take the plug out for 4+1. That is what it is in PA and VA.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:41 PM   #9
jmortimer

H&R Pardner Pump - around $200.00 or less new and is a good shotgun in every respect. It is a "Clone" of the Remington 870 (All parts interchange except barrel) and is imported by Remington/Marlin/H&R. Read actual owner reviews and do not listen to some of the ignorance you might read. Again, read actual owner reviews not ignorant opinions based on ignorance.

Last edited by jmortimer; September 1, 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: To Conform to Post Below
Old September 1, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOL, if you had been with me on some outings, I am sure you would cringe...
My mossberg is often used to knock vines out of my way. I have crossed numerous swollen creeks by shimmying across downed trees with my mossberg in front of my scooting across.

Stay out all day in a down pour and think... Man I sure am glad this is just cheap walnut colored birch wood... If I can take it, my gun better not mind either... And since I am far from "easy on the eyes", I don't mind a plain jane gun. But aside from a few spilled soda and beer rust spots, action scars and wear, the bluing on my 500 is still smooth and pretty shiny.
Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

deerhunter, I haven't seen a 4+1 mossberg. Maybe pre-1980 but since then, all are 5+1. You may be using a slightly longer shell or counting the 3 inch shells...

There is no way to extend the tube length on a 500. You can buy a 7+1 tube if you also get a 7+1 barrel.

Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Deerhunter

HogDogs...I use 2 3/4 inch shells and I can only fit 4 in the tube on my 500. It was bought in the late 80's. Probably, like I said about 1988 or 1989.

What I meant about the longer tube is buying a HD model with an already extended tube. Not even sure if Mossberg even makes one though.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:54 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
fine shotgun in every respect
Come on now!!! Surely you jest! "FINE"? Not hardly... Decent maybe but fine arms do not come from china or turkey in a price point clone configuration...

That is the same as saying that a Harbor Freight clicker torque wrench is a "fine instrument"... I bet anyone with a little intentional scrutiny could find 20-50 points in or on a clone that knock it far away from the "fine arms" list...

But I also do not consider the 500 a "fine arm".

First off... "Fine arms" will have a perfect fit and finish... Fine arms will have a finish that is deep and rich in appearence and that requires over $200.00 in labor just polishing the metal as well as the finish on the wood... Not even counting the polishing pads and compounds...
Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:55 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you try stuffing the tube with Winchester 2 3/4 inch shells, it will fit 5... Some shells are longer than others...

Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Deerhunter

I have to go get some and try it now.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:22 PM   #16
hardworker

I don't make it a habit of beating my shotguns, but if during a hunt I smack it into a tree accidentally and scuff it I don't lose sleep over it. And I also use it as a vine mover if the situation calls for it. Sometimes it holds down a fence wire with the butt. And it's not even a mossberg, it's an old 11-87 I got from my grand dad. I keep it clean and oiled, but the battle scars add character to a gun I'll never sell.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:48 PM   #17
BombthePeasants

So am I correct in stating that the 870 family of shotguns are capable of being upgraded to a maximum of 8 shells in the tube, whilst the 500 series is only upgradeable to hold 5?

EDIT: Never mind I see that the max. for both is 8 rds.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:54 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 500 with 8 round tube requires a different barrel. The 8 round field barrel selection is very limited and more expensive.

The 870 and 590moss are similar design in that a mag extension tube can be added and retain the same barrel with either a 5, 6,7, 8, 9, etc capacity...
Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Sphawley

Winchetster 1200 or 1300 good guns, and you can great deal on them!
Old September 2, 2010, 12:13 PM   #20
oneounceload

Quote:
My mossberg is often used to knock vines out of my way.
Sounds like you need a machete or some Agent Orange........
Old September 2, 2010, 12:17 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ool, A machete requires me to put down the gun so I would just forget where I put it...
Brent
Old September 2, 2010, 12:28 PM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
I have crossed numerous swollen creeks by shimmying across downed trees with my mossberg in front of my scooting across.
Brent,
Good thing those trees were there, else you might use your Mossberg as a paddle.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:52 PM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I own several fine long guns and handguns, but I'm shotgun ignorant. I know I want one that I can change barrels from birding to home defence, and can change the tubes that hold the shells out.

I just had shoulder surgery, and the pain pills and muscle relaxant compel me to tell everyone that...
My Mossberg is just one of several brands and my 20 gauge is in the middle between the .410 and the 10 gauge. No need to swap out barrels to make it a HD gun. Deer gun back up with slugs out to 100 yards, Turkey out to 30 yards, Varmints in the yard gun out to 60 yards.

Smoothbore and will handle Brenneke slugs as well as bird shot, A shorter barrel would make it more maneuverable but unless you intend to do a room to room sweep with it and get into hand to hand combat Rambo style a long barrel fired from your bedroom door will work just fine.

Rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder 5 years ago and my left needs it so pump action 20 gauge is my go to for nearly everything gun. The fact that it's a Mossberg is coincidental, it could have just as easily been my Winchester or Browning or Stevens or...you get the point. For me the Mossberg fits me best and I'm faster with it and that is the only reason its my go to gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 2, 2010, 11:43 PM   #24
JiminTexas

Buy an American made gun. No, not for patriotic reasons, but because ATF has decided that only American made shotguns should be able to accept things like magazine extensions and some other "tactical" accessories. I have a Charles Daly (made in Turkey) that is a good cheap (well under $200.00) gun that hold 5 ea 2 3/4" shells, and that's enough for home defense which is what I bought it for, but if I wanted to go tactical with it, I couldn't put a rifled barrel or a 22" barrel on it. I can't put a magazine extension on it. I did a little surgury on it and put a picatiny rail on top and an M-3 Aimpoint red dot on it. There is a Chinese Remington 870 clone that can be had that accepts all of the 870 add ons, and I'm not too sure if they are still being imported or not, if not you should be able to find one on one of the online gun auctions. Be careful of the Mosburgs too. You can't add on a magazine extension without changing the barrel at the same time. That can get expensive.
Old September 3, 2010, 12:50 AM   #25
EdInk

I will buck the trend and suggest spending the extra money a Remington 870.

The action is smoother and the fit & finish are nicer. (At least on all the ones I tried before purchasing.) Also, the 870 is what all the local PD's and county sheriffs use around here......if that matters to you. (They also use Sigs in .40s&w.)

As far as the military issued guns.....

They USED to issue the Garande. They NOW issue the M-4.
They USED to issue 1911. They NOW issue the Beretta M-9.
They USED to issue Remingtons. They NOW is Mossbergs.

Just sayin'