The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 11, 2007, 10:51 PM   #26
Sarge

Everyone has to decide for themselves how important being armed is, at any given time. When it's important enough, you'll dress around it, do the fanny pack, or whatever to make sure that the gun & some spares are along.

Making the accomodations to be armed is a mild inconvenience. Being caught unarmed when you really, really need to be armed can be fatal.

It sounds to me like you are solving the 'when' problem by listening to those little alarm bells that go off when trouble was a little too close for comfort.

Good plan, I'd say. Pay attention to them & make the necessary adjustments.
Old August 11, 2007, 10:53 PM   #27
kgpcr

You dont need to be paranoid. Nothing happened and thats the good part. You still had your best weapon, your brain. Yes at times you may need a gun but i would take a man with a brain over an idiot with a gun anyday.
Smith M&P 40
Old August 11, 2007, 11:00 PM   #28
w_houle

Hmmm... it is an interesting idea, to be out on the town and not have a way to defend yourself! I think it is an opportunity to evaluate the situation you are getting into before you get there, for instance when I go to the drive-up ATM and get $200, I would pull $20 off the top and sit on the rest just in case someone sneaks up on me.
Old August 12, 2007, 12:42 PM   #29
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpcr
Yes at times you may need a gun
And this is the very sad part. I have one of the best, easiest to carry and functionally perfect firearms made.

If you have seen the thread entitled "Do you carry a knife?" you'll see that I own a very nice, totally customized Tussey .380 Auto.

I have no excuses. Not only is it a great firearm, but I distinctly told Terry to "butter it up" so it would be handy to carry "no matter what my circumstances" including against bare skin.

I'll usually pretty thorough in defining my travels. I ask myself, "Do I have a cell phone, enough money, air in my bike tires, a basic itinerary given to my wife...yada, yada, bada bing..."

I even rub my hand down my right front jeans pocket to make sure my knife clip is in the right position. (And many times sitting can shift even a tight clip.)

And while this is a firearms forum and we speak on issues surrounding guns, I still am asking myself how a fairly intelligent and worldly man can walk out into that world "in white" with the only thing finally shaking him out of this stupid slumber is the painful wail of crappy rap music?

When I use the term "dumb luck" we aren't kidding here.

If you want a chill up your neck, consider this.

Suppose a group of jackers and thieves were delibdrately using that late night lot for assaults.

I could today be dead.
Old August 12, 2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Wildalaska

What makes me more nervous (or sad) is the depth of paranoia exhibited in this and in other threads.

Me and SWMBO went out last night at 2am, unarmed, and we both lived.

WildbutheywhateverfloatsyourboatAlaska TM
Old August 12, 2007, 01:00 PM   #31
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
went out last night at 2am, unarmed, and we both lived.
You touch on a very valid point.

When I came to Madison in the late 1960's it was common to stop studying at 2:00AM and walk downtown to get a sub sandwich.

Everyone did it, nobody died.

That same area is now the hot-bed of assaults and deaths of one woman and a fatal shooting (still being adjudicated.)

Times pass, things change. I lived on N.36th Street in Milwaukee as a child, played outside everyday.

A few years after we moved the side of my former home--under my old bedroom window--was hit by a shotgun blast.

If I have learned one thing in life is that the only thing that stays the same is 'change.'

Up until very recently my current subdivision was farm field. We used to be 'upscale.' We now have increased police presence, neighborhood watch committees and an increase in street drug traffic.

I now have to consider 'home invasion' when I re-develope my home for security and the replacement of doors, windows and glass.

You're right, I hate paranoia and I know people and situations where they have gone to extremes. I am addressing the issue of common sense and my mistakes. I don't believe it is prudent now to walk across a dark parking lot "in white."
Old August 12, 2007, 01:24 PM   #32
CyberSEAL

For me, going out of the house includes 4 things, wallet, keys, phone, gun.
Old August 12, 2007, 02:09 PM   #33
Charles S

Quote:
What makes me more nervous (or sad) is the depth of paranoia exhibited in this and in other threads.
Wild,

It makes me sad when people make blanket statements based upon their own limited experience and assume their experience is a reality for the rest of the world.

I grew up in a very high crime area. My job often takes me to Shreveport, LA. Shreveport currently has a higher per capita crime rate than New York city. I am often in the less affluent areas and I often see drug deals happen while I am sitting at red lights.

If you ever head my way I will be more than happy to take you to dinner, I believe I can provide some of the finest dining you have ever had...at an exclusive, dressy restaurant (my treat). When we walk out that night, if you don't feel like you need to move quickly to your car and/or have access to a gun then you are indeed quite foolish.

If you live in a nice area (I currently do) then good for you, but that does not mean being prepared for the worse is paranoid.

I believe...and cannot provide the link at the time, that the FBI estimates that 1 in 3 adult males will experience violent crime in their lifetime. I have not always lived in a good area, so I choose to be prepared. I am prepared with training, mindset, being alert, and being armed. If this makes me paranoid so be it. I also keep a spare tire, a fire extinguisher, an extensive first aid kit, and tools..That is part of being prepared. Guns are tools...try not to judge someones mental status based upon their choices of carrying a gun.

I have always said carrying a gun is a personal choice.

Last edited by Charles S; August 12, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old August 12, 2007, 02:40 PM   #34
Lavid2002

Quote:
Frozen ice cream in a double bagged plastic grocery bag is a poor mans mace...swing hard and you weren't unarmed.
LMAO
Reminds me of this guy I beat the #3!! out if back in 98.....mint choc. chip i beleive.....browned bagged and then doubled up.

As police arrive
*Weeeew*
I duno cheif this ones pretty bad....looks like we have some blunt trauma followed by serouse paper cuts. This guy had it in for em.

HAHAHAHAHA : P
Old August 12, 2007, 05:33 PM   #35
gyp_c2

ha...

Quote:
grew up in a very high crime area. My job often takes me to Shreveport, LA.
...ok, I'll bite...Is Ernests' still open?
hometown...
Since I'm actually a " river rat " from that poor side of town to the east, across the river...I don't even recognize the place with all the influx of gamblin' money in the area...riverboats, ya' know...
...but it's sure different without the KoKoMo...loved the car-daddies and roller skates back in the dark ages...Southern Maid donuts...and my personal Friday night favorite...Monsours, rat downtown...oysters the size of which most have never seen, actual stand-up bar, and...oh welll...
yup, things change...but you shouldn't have to beat yerself to death over a trip to the ice-cream store...
Old August 12, 2007, 05:49 PM   #36
Charles S

Quote:
ok, I'll bite...Is Ernests' still open?
Why yes...actually that is the restaurant I had in mind when I mentioned the invite to Wild.

There are no donuts like hot Southern Maid!

I actually grew up in Ceder Grove. It was a really nice area when my parents bought their house. Not so nice by the time I was in high school. Downright scary after I got back and moved into the area after college. I am really glad I do not live there now.

If you are through east Texas drop me a note. I bet I can find a nice place for us to eat.
Old August 12, 2007, 06:18 PM   #37
kgpcr

Wildalaska i would agree totaly!!! there are alot of super paranoid people here. They can be easily spotted as they wear a tinfoil hat so the Govt. mind control waves cant work on them. But seriously I dont know how some people live being so paranoid. Carry 3 guns and 2 knives to the bathroom and feel undergunned. But to each his own. i plan on having fun during my life and not live it constantly fearing someone else. I do carry but am not always looking for some one that may be a threat. Life is to short for that. I do use comon sense and that is the best weapon any of us have. at least if you have a good mind. and are wearing your tin foil hat!
Smith M&P 40
Old August 12, 2007, 06:31 PM   #38
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S
If you ever head my way I will be more than happy to take you to dinner...
What I am hearing from this post, and the few that followed it, is that things are changing in many areas of the USA. What might have been paranoid in the 1960's is now prudent.

And again, we are all friends here and we are the good guys. From the quality of the responses here I would not be fearful if any of the members here carried under a CCW.

We are not the kind of folks who flash or brag. We are discussing an issue on how a family man shops for groceries, and has concerns about modern life.

In many areas of the country you can venture out in open carry. Right now, the most powerful handgun I own is a six-inch SW Classic 629-5 in .44 Rem. A common firearm for deer, and perhaps a common sight in our rural west.

If this discussion was to take place in Wyoming, we would think nothing of a rancher making a stop on the way home with that SW in open carry.

So, considering that, why is it such a jump in thinking to have a peaceful suburban man carrying a .380 ACP for the errands he has to run? And while a rancher faces a unique set of conditions, my conditions differ, but take many of the same safety considerations.

I didn't want to go toe-to-toe in a late night shoot-out with a 'banger and his homies pretending to be Seagal, (although I do want to sell him the .380).

I just want to be able to run errands safely and without fear.
Old August 12, 2007, 08:15 PM   #39
restlessnomad

Tourist, I'm assuming you live in Wisconsin. I'm from Kenosha myself and now live in Stevens Point. Do you carry in this state??? I'm guessing you don't CC, but how have you pulled off OC, especially in the Madison area! I only ask because I'm on this subject in another thread, http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=257629

Maybe I'm off, I apologize if thats the case.
Old August 12, 2007, 08:21 PM   #40
Wildalaska

Quote:
It makes me sad when people make blanket statements based upon their own limited experience and assume their experience is a reality for the rest of the world.
LOL

Quote:
What I am hearing from this post, and the few that followed it, is that things are changing in many areas of the USA. What might have been paranoid in the 1960's is now prudent.
And vice versa

WildbutowellthelurkersgettheideaAlaska TM
Old August 13, 2007, 12:39 PM   #41
03Shadowbob

OH MY GOD! You mean to tell me that in this day and age you can go to the store at night and not get mugged? You were truly lucky to have left there with your life.
I do think that you should always try and be prepared but if you forget your firearm from time to time, the chances are still highly in your favor that you will still make it home alive. So you forgot your weapon? Big deal.
Old August 13, 2007, 12:47 PM   #42
mattro

murphy's law...
Old August 13, 2007, 01:04 PM   #43
03Shadowbob

didn't apply this time
Old August 13, 2007, 03:48 PM   #44
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessnomad
I'm guessing you don't CC, but how have you pulled off OC, especially in the Madison area!
Most of my carries are off-body, just like everyone else's.

However, I do not live in Madison, I only work in Madison, and then not fully 100% of the time.

I live in the suburbs where I know and do business with most of the LEOs. (Well, at least enough to make jokes when I get a speeding ticket!)

I will be the first to admonish you about behavior and guns. You don't do anything carrying a gun that you wouldn't do unarmed. I live quietly and don't cause problems--like blasting off my Screaming Eagles at zero-dark-thirty. I get to know the problems of my area beat cops by being a good citizen and neighborhood watch person. My wife is a teacher and similarly involved.

Most of all, I am a citizen of the community for over +20 years and I have a thick prominent thatch of gray hair.

Sounds boring, heh? Well, Monday is my day off and I just came back from long ride on my Harley. In fact, Interstate S39 was chocked full of Harleys headed south.

I drove at my own spirited pace (yeah, you can't teach an old dog new tricks), I waved to law enforcement, I didn't cut in and out of traffic (much) and my Dyna is in perfect shape, not belching oil or pushing bald tires.

I've found that most of the civilized world treats you as you treat them. Yes, I find kooks and self-appointed monarchs who still hate bikes as bad as they did in 1964, but it has eased. Even kids wave.

I got home so relaxed I almost took a nap.
Old August 13, 2007, 04:59 PM   #45
Derius_T

I am a bit alarmed, and saddened at some of the comments by members here. Stupid comments that have nothing to do with the thread, like tinfoil hats, and the like. And you forgot your gun, so what, ect.

There is a difference between being overly paranoid, and being properly prepaired.

It is just silly for a grown person with any common sense to sit here and say that the world is like mayberry, and nothing ever happens, so anyone carrying a gun, or being as alert as possible is paranoid, and wearing tinfoil, ect.

Its like saying that people who believe it will never happen to them, and walk around oblivious to the danger, with their blinders on, are sheep. It is not always that case, just like not everyone who carries and is alert is paranoid.

You just go ahead and stick you heads back in the sand and wait for the bad guys to go away, and say a prayer for those of us who are alert, and will do our best to save your lives while you dream of butterflies and rainbows....
Old August 13, 2007, 06:05 PM   #46
JunyTuck

Wild is right on!! The paranoid commando with a carry permit scares me more than the bad guys. The whole condition white, yellow, red or purple is pure nonsense! Some of you are making a great case for more stringent gun laws because it demonstrates the extreme fringe of gun owners.
Old August 13, 2007, 06:16 PM   #47
Charles S

Derius_T, well stated. I agree.

Quote:
Some of you are making a great case for more stringent gun laws because it demonstrates the extreme fringe of gun owners.
That is exactly right...the second amendment should only apply to those that who agree with JunyTuck!

Quote:
The whole condition white, yellow, red or purple is pure nonsense!
I really cannot believe what I read sometimes.

Stick your head in the sand, and ignore the advice of professionals if you wish. I have personally been involved in violent crime twice, because I was armed I was not a victim!

Again I reiterate.

Quote:
Old August 13, 2007, 06:17 PM   #48
03Shadowbob

Derius,
What I wrote had everything to do with the original post. The dude left his house one night without his pistol and he felt it worthy to post because some gang-banger wannabes were playing music loudly? RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

As far as sticking my head in the sand...I am not sure how many times have you been through a shooting or have gotten shot at however I have been in a couple shootings and many more tense situations where I had a gun but if I would have pulled it, I would be dead today. And yet, although I have been through grand juries and trials for shootings, I do not fear for my life if I happen to forget my firearm and I don't feel it worthy to post here if I did.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:29 PM   #49
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadowbob
I do not fear for my life
That wasn't my intention, and I think you know that.

For example, this week was Sturgis. I did not go, however you can bet that before I left I would have washed the bike checking for leaks, had the oil changed, checked air pressure, brake fluid levels, etc.

That's not 'paranoid,' that's maintenance.

I simply used myself in a humorous example of 'knowing better' and doing things wrong.

Look, one morning I couldn't find my keys. I found them still in the front door.

No body died, the house wasn't looted, my wife wasn't sold into white slavery, but it was a dumb thing to do. Believe me, it taught me a lesson and now I check things like that as I shut the house down for the night.

As for terms like 'condition white,' most people here know the term because they read things by Col. Jeff Cooper. It's a polite, shorthand phrase in describing a human state of mind, that's all.

As for shorthand, let's say I describe my pistol as in "condition one." We know that means a cocked and locked hammer in primarily 1911 pattern pistols where a live round is chambered into battery and the hammer set to fire with the safety lever engaged.

Most of us don't mean 'white' as any mysterious super ninja secret Asian dark-of-the-moon sacrifice mind meld. It simply means "asleep at the switch."

We know what I did. We know why I wrote it. Don't try to make it into something it is not.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:48 PM   #50
Wildalaska

Quote:
You just go ahead and stick you heads back in the sand and wait for the bad guys to go away, and say a prayer for those of us who are alert, and will do our best to save your lives while you dream of butterflies and rainbows....
Great just what we need...rambos to the rescue

WildilikebutterliesandrainbowsAlaska TM