The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 3, 2007, 11:01 PM   #76
JohnKSa
Staff

This thread was started two years ago.
Old August 3, 2007, 11:08 PM   #77
redblair

Totally missed the start date. Sorry. Why are all these old threads showing up?

b

Dec. 15, 1791
Old August 3, 2007, 11:12 PM   #78
JohnKSa
Staff

Someone found it and posted a reply. Unfortunately that reply has now been deleted (for various reasons) so it's not apparent who dug it up.
Old August 4, 2007, 03:04 AM   #79
chrisandclauida2

i havent read the whole thread so this probably along the lines of what you were told.

1st under no circumstances allow a pot field to be planted on your property.

2nd if you think there is one dont go near it as people kill for much less

3rd ask your trooper friend to ask a dog to search the area. i know we used to do stuff like this as it is training in area searches for drugs that we didn't do very often. tell them you think there might be pot on the land and volunteer your property for the police k9 and swat units to train when ever they need to practice something different like searches. we would jump at this and took advantage of every different training environment we could find. a good dog will smell the pot as soon as they drive up so it will be good training to search as directed by the handler in spite of the strong order.
a couple swat exercises and drug dog visits should solve all your problems. the property stays clear and clean and the police get good training environments.

you dont want to allow this to go on. it will only draw more unwanteds more danger to the people who live there and more pot and maybe meth labs

i used to have some kids who would cut thru my grandmas property. they trashed the place and came thru there regardless of weather she was there or not. i know this would go to more unwanteds and possibly danger for my grandma.

i asked them to stop and got a F YOU back. when i caught them they would run. i was frustrated and had to stop this.

well one night i was watching a war movie and watch them place a trip line for an alarm. the light bulb that popped over my head must have been seen for miles.

i cut re-bar in 10 inch lengths and hammered them in the ground till about 4 inches was sticking up. i did this on each side of the yard. i thin took bailing wire and strung it between them. i had about 8 trip lines about 6 feet apart.

now i had to wait. about 1 am they were coming down the street as usual. they were anything if not on schedule 3 times a day every day. i was across the street in the neighbors drive way in the dark. as soon as they turned into my grandmas yard to cut thru i started yelling, i told you bastards to stop this, and off they ran. i kept up the yelling and running at them till about the 3rd time they all tripped and fell.

these idiots hit every trip line at a full fun going down every time. by the time they jumped the fence i was laughing so hard i couldn't breathe much less yell.

they never cut thru again and all were nicely road rashed on their legs and arms from the falling into the grass and dirt and gravel.

moral of the story is creativity sometimes solves problems like these.

in your case i would get law enforcement involved.
Old August 10, 2007, 09:47 AM   #80
120mm

While it IS an old thread, I gotta recommend a couple of Australian Shepherds to you. They are medium-sized, intelligent and loyal dogs that PATROL all day long. When they are pups, walk the edges of the property a couple of times with them to establish their territory. Make darned sure that they meet your neighbors and get to know them, though.

They make excellent alarms. And they bond with a person/people, and will die for them.
Old August 12, 2007, 01:15 PM   #81
Samurai

Wow! Who resurrected this old beast???

If we want to keep talking about this, then I suppose I can offer one point:

There are two kinds of tresspassers: the kind that will jump a fence and the kind that won't. The original poster said that his 100 acres didn't even have a fence around it! If there's a problem with tresspassers, the first step (before trip wires, James-Bond-esque surveilance cameras, man-eating guard-rabbits, forming local militias, or sharks with laser beams on their heads) is to simply fence the property. Nothing fancy, just put a barbed-wire cattle fence up (cheap and easy).

FYI, a patch of land 100 acres in area is a square with sides measuring 2,087 feet each. Admitedly, that's a lot of fence. But, it's not unobtainable! It can be fenced in, with a little time and money...

If the tresspassers keep coming, then move on to plan B (whatever, in your wisdom, that may be).

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old August 12, 2007, 03:08 PM   #82
workinwifdakids

OP! Update, please.

So can we get an update please from the OP?
Old August 12, 2007, 08:10 PM   #83
X-RAY

old post....new reply

Even though it's an old post, it's interesting to see the various replys serious and not so serious. How about asking the local LEO for some "POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS" tape and putting it up around their little patch o' weed ? Love to have a picture of their faces when they see the tape !! No gets hurt, and I don,t think they would be too quick to return.
Old August 22, 2007, 02:32 PM   #84
bcrash15

^ haha, that would be priceless.

I know the topic is kind of old. But if this were my problem I would have an official looking sign created saying something like, "game population control area, no trespassing, firearms may be discharged without warning." Then following up with random shooting a few times a week or so.
Old August 22, 2007, 05:00 PM   #85
VUPDblue

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply. The OP hasn't logged in since November of '06. ...we call this "necroposting"...
Old August 22, 2007, 06:10 PM   #86
oldbillthundercheif

If he has not been back asking for more advice, the skunk-butt claymores must have worked quite well!
Old August 29, 2007, 09:35 PM   #87
MadameX

Trespassers/Dogs/Posting Property

Actually, I would *not* post the property, advertising the dogs. It is my understanding (which may or may not apply to your situation), that doing so, will screw up your homeowners' insurance coverage, although I am not entirely certain of the current hows/whys/wherefores, not having had a dog for the last few years, so it is possible that the rules may have changed. It's something to check on with a good insurance agent.

I don't know about you, but *I* wouldn't want to lose my coverage for a hunk of land with a trespasser problem--it wouldn't do to wind up losing it in a lawsuit to the folks you're trying to get off of the land in the first place!

Deb