The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Brutus

Autocomp and WSF for .40S&W

These two powders are new to me, thanks to the powder shortage.
I've been using them exclusively in 9mm. with good results and now would like to expand their usage to 40S&W. Anyone have any experience?
Old February 24, 2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Ruger45LC

I've got some WSF and AutoComp that I've used in .40. I've not done a ton of testing with it, but both do a good job although so far I think I've only used it with 180gr bullets.

Hodgdon's website has some data for both powders.
Old February 24, 2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Sure shot wv

As of right now I use autocomp and wsf exclusively in 40. I have shot them both from 155,165, and 180 grain bullets. Both meter absolutely perfect through my dillon and both shoot very clean in the right load. In fact I just finished up loading 2k with wsf behind a 180g hp rainier bullet. 5.4 grains of wsf ( which is a min load ) is one of my favorites. Super clean, very soft shooting, and tack driving accuracy.

With autocomp I had some great loads feel and accuracy wise but was getting to much unburnt powder in some. So I started playing with wsf and fell in love. I still use autocomp in 9mm almost exclusively though.

Overall they are my 2 favorite pistol powders. I even played with autocomp in 38 special for ****s and giggles and was surprised. It may be the most versatile powder I've ever used. But it really shines in 9mm.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:27 PM   #4
rg1

Haven't been reloading for 40 SW long but Winchester Super Field WSF is my favorite powder for 165 gr bullets. With jacketed 165 FP's 6.0 grains gets around 970 fps up to 6.6 at approx. 1070 fps. For some reason it feels softer recoiling than some other powders. I've tried AA#5, Unique, Power Pistol with WSF preferred. Consult reloading data to compare to the above.