The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 9, 2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Loupgarou

I need a good tool for installing night sights

The tritium has faded in the night sights of three of my Gen 3 Glocks. They were all installed at gun shows years ago and this time I'm thinking of installing the new ones myself.

There's a large number these tools available in the market and I'd appreciate any information/recommendation on a good one among the many choices out there.
Old October 9, 2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Double K

Those come out of the dovetail pretty easily, take the slide off and put it in a vise with a thick unopened junkmail envelope for padding on the sides sights up. Glock sights are typically angled, match the angle with a small plastic or wooden dowel as a punch and tap it out with a small hammer. {don't hit the sight with the hammer} You can start the new one with a small C- Clamp, finish with the plastic or wood dowel. I've changed quite a few including my own without any special tools.
Old October 11, 2020, 12:31 PM   #3
Loupgarou

Thanks!
Old October 11, 2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

I use this...

https://amazon.com/NcSTAR-VTUPRS-Uni...2448753&sr=8-5

Worth the investment if you have more than a few pistols with night sights. The problem with using a punch and hammer is that the tritium vial can crack inside. The dot may look fine but it's no fun looking at 2 dots instead of 3 in dim light, not to mention the cost of the sight. For the front, life is easier with the Glock front sight tool. It's thinner and is usually magnetic to hold the screw in place.
Old October 13, 2020, 05:54 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I was told not to pound on night sites with a punch/dowel. Glass vials can break and that is no bueno.

Try this instead. Get a piece of brass rod and file/grind it to match the profile of the sight. File/grind the other side to match the contour of the replacement sight. Put the rod into the spindle of the drill press (you don't need power). Put wood jaws or copper jaws (get copper pipe) in the drill press vise and place the vise in with left/port side up. Line up the vise such that the sight is beneath the brass pusher. Lower the spindle such that the brass pushes the sight out. Flip the slide 180 such that it is right side(starboard) up. Flip the brass rod so you have the side ground/filed that fits the new rear sight. Push the replacement sight in.
Old October 13, 2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Scorch

Well, Gary, that might work for a lot of sight types, but Glock factory sights are beveled on each end and probably wouldn't push out very well. I have a Glock sight tool that pushes out factory sights well, but it cost around $!00. Of course, I have made that back many times over, but the point is that regular sight pushers have a hard time with Glock factory sights due to the bevel. If I didn't have the sight pusher, I would use a punch and hammer.

Quote:
I use this...
I may be biased, but anything from NC Star is suspect in my book. And that uses regula right angle pushers for the sights, and Glock sights may prove to be a challenge with that sight pusher.
Old October 14, 2020, 04:53 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

not a 2D effort but 3D

The sight's bevel is exactly why I said to grind/file fit the brass to the sight.
Old October 14, 2020, 10:31 AM   #8
Lavan

Would it not work to pad the barrel or slide on one side and place a section of rod (or something) in a C-clamp and just screw it in?

Old October 14, 2020, 07:42 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Try it. But what I suggested won't slip. (BTW, the technique works well with a milling machine but a drill press and clamped down vise will do). Good luck.
Old October 14, 2020, 08:58 PM   #10
Clemson

I use this tool in my shop. I have broken a couple of Glock branded pushers, but this one is stout!

Bill Jacobs

https://sightpusher.com/product/xl-handgun-sight-tool/
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com