The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 14, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1
USMC 77-81

Refinishing and value

While watching TV (pawn stars I think) it was said that refinishing an antique/historical firearm will lower it's value unless it is done by the original manufacturer. I have always thought antique/historical firearms should be left as is regardless of finish condition. Thoughts?
Old February 15, 2014, 01:56 AM   #2
MarkDozier

Refinishing a historic gun will lower it collectible value. The history is what a man is buying when he picks and old and storied piece. Being able to shoot it is a bonus.
Even in the MFG refinishes the gun the history written on the gun is gone. It is always your choice. Do you make a good one or have the gun refinished.
Old February 15, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3
sfwusc

I never buy guns that have been redone. I don't pay for custom jobs either, and most of the time subtract $$ from my offer.

If you ever think you are going to resell it, then I wouldn't change it.
Old February 15, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
USMC 77-81

Perhaps I should clarify, I don't have any guns, antique or otherwise which I am considering refinishing and doubt that I ever will. I was just trying to clear up something I heard. I actually approve of honest finish wear.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
While watching TV (pawn stars I think) it was said that refinishing an antique/historical firearm will lower it's value unless it is done by the original manufacturer. I have always thought antique/historical firearms should be left as is regardless of finish condition. Thoughts?
The truth is that there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to refinishing guns and value. Purists like to tell you that you should NEVER refinish a historic or collectible gun, or if you do you will decrease its value. This simply isn't true.

Take for example a Colt factory refinished/refurbished Python. This is a collectible gun, but isn't truly historic like a 1900 Luger or 1911 built in 1913. Sometimes, but not always, refinishing will increase the gun's value. Try selling an ugly 1957 Colt Python where 20-25% of the finish is missing, discolored or lightly scratched. If you take the same gun and have it factory refinished, you will get a higher price for it; regardless of what the purists might tell you. A purist might not consider the refinished 1957 Python. But, that purist wouldn't have considered it when it was in its "ugly" state either! However, there are folks who aren't purists, who might think it would be cool to have a pretty 1957 Python for less than $2,000.

However, if that same 1957 Python was in 90% condition, then you would probably reduce the value by refinishing it.

Last edited by Skans; February 17, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:41 AM   #6
chiefr

Agree with skans.
What it all boils down to is relative. I normally leave milsurps alone, but sometimes wood is damaged, cracked, or even missing, some repairs will increase the value.

Relative to myself, bore condition and shoot-ability matters most.