The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
peep47

Scope problems

I have a Bushnell scope, Trophy XLT DOA 600 3x9-40mm which I use on my Remington 700SPC Varmint 22-250.
The gun was sighted in and performing well until I jarred it while placing my gun in the back of my SUV. Fearing it may have caused the scope to be out of alignment I have made several attempts to re-sight only to be getting inconsistent shot placement even using a Caldwell Lead Sled. If bullet placement is on for elevation and I adjust for windage the next shot is significantly off for both. The next time it will be in the opposite direction. I can not seem to get consistent results. Other people who shoot consistently have since tried my gun only to get the same inconsistent performance.
The scope is under warranty but will take 6-8 weeks to be repaired if in fact it is the scope and not something else. I don't want to be without it for that length of time as the gun has not open sights and it will curtail my coyote hunting. Some say to take it out of the mounts, re-install and sight in again while some say to tap the scope barrell which I am afraid to do.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old February 5, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Saltydog235

What good does it do you to keep it on the rifle if it isn't holding zero? Why not send it off for repair if it won't make the shots you need to dispatch a yote? Does the Trophy line have a warranty now that will be cheaper than the replacement cost?

Why not remount it and do the tap test? You are tapping it, not beating it with a sledgehammer, though I've had some scopes, no names, that might have been the best answer to.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
peep47

Scope Problems

I obviously can't use it as is. I was hoping to connect with someone with a similar experience who could give me an easy fix. I hate the thought of being empty handed for 6-8 weeks. I've read all kinds of possible causes - mounts loose, scope rings too tight, too loose, rings out of alignment causing scope barrel to twist. It carries a warranty but its void if its considered to have neen dropped or damaged. The cost to repair it may be more than its worth. $170 + tax
I have removed the scope, checked rings and mounts and all is well there in terms of being tight. I don't have an alignment tool so I will probably reinstall it and try one more time to sight in. Then I will have to bite the bullet and send it away.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
MTSCMike

If it went south on you after simply being "jarred" while placing it in your SUV then it has a problem. A scope that delicate is pretty much useless.

The "tapping" on the tube is for scopes that refuse to move when adjusted due to the adjustment mechanism sticking (like it's gummed up). The tapping helps to get the internals to move. Even then, this would indicate to me that the scope needs medical attention.

Perhaps you could just replace it...send it to be repaired...and sell it when it's fixed (or keep it as a back-up). If they refuse to fix it under warranty then you already have a scope and that one can be trashed or fixed on your dime if it's cheap enough.