The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
DavidAGO

.41 magnum molds

I haven't been casting for quite awhile; life just gets in the way. Been doing very little reloading during the same stretch of time. it's time to get a stock of .41 magnums built back up; I am down to less than 50. I'm looking for a hollow point mold. It seems the variety in .411 is fairly limited. Also in the meantime I am looking for a supplier for .41 bullets. I need a few hundred to use up until I find the right mold and get some cast up. anyone have a supplier thye use for such a bullet?

Thanks in advance

David
Old March 16, 2012, 02:21 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

My preferred supplier is http://www.bulletsdirect.com/

But... it may be cheaper to order a Lee 2-cavity mold to use in this interim period, as long as you're willing to deal with the lower quality.
You could get the .410 Lee 2 cavity 195 gr SWC for about $18-20. (There's also a 210 gr Tumble-Lube version.)

I have a 195 SWC mold that I bought for other purposes, and for my brother to use for his .41 Mag. It drops bullets at .412", when cast with an alloy of WW +2% Tin (and an ounce of magnum shot, for a trace of arsenic). Even with something like Isotope alloy, it should drops bullets that are still .411" or larger. Only with an alloy close to pure lead, would it start dropping bullets at the advertised .410" diameter.

Lee molds are crap, but they do get the job done.
Old March 24, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
LAH

Doing a run of 41s now. They are 230 grain, sized .411 & lubed with LBT Blue.

Old March 24, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I just use the Lee 210 grain TL SWC. I have pushed them into the 1400 fps range without any leading problems. Though I usualy load them in light loads of about 950 to 1000 fps. They work.

For hunting or other purpouses I load with either Remington 210 grain JSP, or Speer Gold Dot HP 210 grain. Both work very well. Thoug the Remington are cheaper, and easier to find. I also load close to my hunting loads with Berry's 210 grain plated. They work well also.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Quote:
I just use the Lee 210 grain TL SWC. I have pushed them into the 1400 fps range without any leading problems. Though I usualy load them in light loads of about 950 to 1000 fps. They work.
I have that mold. I load them over 9.0 grains of Rex3 powder, but going to switch soon to Universal or Unique or Herco.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I either use AA#9 if I want to pushe them hard. Or Trail Boss for banging the steels. A near max load of Trail Boss knocks the steels over all day long, and absoutely no lead. The only real cleaning of the gun is the carbon from the lube. A touch of your choice solovent will do the job in a couple of seconds.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
hornetguy

LAH, those are some REALLY nice looking bullets... GOOD job!
Old April 2, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
LAH

Thanks Hornetguy. That mold is easy to use.
Old April 3, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
CowTowner

I'm just glad to see folks still loading for and shooting the .41 Rem Mag. What an under appreciated cartridge
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 3, 2012, 10:05 PM   #10
reloader28

For hollow points, I prefer the Forster hollow pointer.
There is a 1/16" and a 1/8" depending on your bullet.
That way you can HP the ones you want and leave the ones you dont want.

These fit a Forster trimmer. Mines an RCBS so I put the drill bit end in a drill, spun it and milled the shank with a file until it fit my trimmer. Piece of cake. Works like champ.

You'd be amazed what these will do for your pistol and rifle bullets and shoot with the same consistancy.

I make some Lyman gas check bullets for my uncle, and he says they shoot really good. But his good and my good are 2 different things so I dont know myself.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Nevmavrick

I am a real fan of the .41...and of cast bullets. When I decided I needed HPs, I went to "Cast Boolits" found Buckshot and asked him to HP my RCBS 210SWC mold (one side of a two-holer) and my Lyman 210gr gas-checked two-holer.
When he was done, I could HP 1/2 of my casting-run OR cast both sides with solids only.
I'll see ya at the range.
Have fun,
Gene
Old May 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

I have just begun my adventure in casting for my 41. I purchased a Lee 6 banger years ago with that in mind but never got started on it. Then around the middle of year before last I decided that if I was going to feed the appetite of my 454 I had better get cranked up on it. I started doing research and gather up lead from where ever I could. The lead gathering part, so far, has been the hardest.

I got started pouring up the Lee 300's for the 454 and not long after getting my feet wet I dug around and found my 210gr 41 mold and fired up on it as well. Since then I have poured up several hundred of the Lee TL bullets and they shoot very well. There was just something lacking however. Then out of sheer coincidence I found a post on Castboolits which listed the MP 411 HG #258 Solid in stock, and then a group buy going for the MP 41 Mag. #258 (Keith). My bud jumped on the solid and I jumped on the list for the #258 which came with three sets of HP pins, sm, lg, and penta. I have to say that any of them are awesome shooters, and I am looking very much so for the chance to put one through the solid side of a feral hog.

What limited testing we have done has shown the hog will loose out big time. Here is the first group I shot with the solid at 50yds. It was rested and shot over my chrony. I blew the group due to having to move it over to keep from shooting the side completely out of my bucket trap. Still in all it ain't shabby even by my standards, bear in mind that "is" 6 shots,

Out at 100, it ain't much more than 4".

Right now I am on another group buy for the Light 41 which can be found here is interested,
Light .41 (411640)

I'm looking at it as a replacement for the old Remington 170gr SJHP which I LOVED to shoot. This one should be just as good or better and work out well for a light recoil deer/varmint load.