The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1
ftballgod

what is the best Desert Eagle?

for years i have wanted one. now that i can afford one i am getting one. my question is. what is the real diffrence between the diffrent finishes? i like the bright nickel. the flat chrome also looks cool. i like the gold but i am not paying $500 more for it. lol i am not againts the blued, just like shiny guns better. i have seen a polished blue. i dont know how i feel about that one. in some lights it looks cool. others not so much.

i know the finish of a gun is more just for looks. but for the money i am spending on it. i want it to be perfect.

all in all. what are the pros and cons of the diffrent finishes. as far as wear, cleaning and longevity are concerned?

oh. i am getting the .50ae.
Old February 17, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

i wouldnt get the gold... i know for a fact that it wears off.... this one was gold when i got it

Old February 17, 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I would get the base in black. Gives you money to buy ammo for it so you can enjoy shooting it more.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old February 17, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
greyson97

if you arent dead set on the .50 AE, get the 357 model. youll save on ammo costs

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 17, 2010, 06:35 PM   #5
ftballgod

i thought about getting a 357. but the more i think about it. i just want the big one. lol

i have a friend that would sell me his .50ae Matte Chrome finish. gun, 1 mag, case, and 5 boxes of ammo. $1000. this sounds too good to pass up. plus i save on shipping and handling. as well as ffl costs.

so unless someone knows a problem with this gun or this finish. i am going to jump on it.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
greyson97

barring that the gun is defective, i just bet hes tired of buying expensive ammo for a loud gun with a super kick, and hes looking to get rid of it and get something manageable and more affordable to shoot

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 17, 2010, 06:54 PM   #7
ftballgod

he has a large collection. but right now he is in a bit of a pinch as far as money goes. so when he found out i was looking for one he offered to sell his. he is buying a new house and has a baby on the way. i have never shot his gun but i know he has a few times and some of my other friends have. so i know it works fine. and he takes care of his guns. so that is not an issue.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:50 PM   #8
hot sauce

I have a 44 one in matte chrome and love it. It looks like a bead blasted stainless finish and doesnt leave fingerprint marks like brushed chrome or nickle.

So, do not get the nickle one if you like to handle your guns and not have to constantly wipe the gun down.

Gold/tiger stripe is too much bling imho

Black is too blah for the Desert Eagle imho.

Have fun and look at some pics of them on gunbroker to get a good idea of what finish you would prefer.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9
epr105

I love the DE but Magnum Research service and parts leaves me scratching my head. I am selling my last gun that is branded Magnum Research. Why? Everything I need is never covered under warranty, They refuse to ship me parts and insist I send them the gun on my dime. Pay for the part that I could have installed myself and the labor and the return shipping. They will not accept a gun unless it is sent to and from a dealer, More money for the dealer. So I warn anyone that if u need service expect to pay through the nose. If it is a part that they deem needs to be fitted be ready to do the whole shipping thing through a dealer.
I like the firearms but this is like I am getting hosed from the service dept.
Sorry for the rant
Ed
Old February 17, 2010, 08:00 PM   #10
MOREAMMO

I have heard that the matte finishes seem to stain. I don't have one YET, so I can't say if they do or don't. I would think that the polished finishes would clean easier but would be a pain if you are picky about cleaning. I really would love to have a 44 mag. 50 seems a bit much if I will be using it for paper and making fruit salad!
Old February 17, 2010, 08:02 PM   #11
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballgod
he has a large collection. but right now he is in a bit of a pinch as far as money goes. so when he found out i was looking for one he offered to sell his.
It says something to me that he has a large collection and jumped at the chance to sell the Desert Eagle. Something along the lines of "I found someone to take this overly expensive worthless fanboy pistol off my hands, sweet!"
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 17, 2010, 08:04 PM   #12
hot sauce

Oh yeah I almost forgot to say Desert Eagles rock! Enjoy it bro. Some people like to hate on them but its probably b/c they have not shot one, used it for its intended purpose, or is just to busy buying overpriced 1911's.

Last edited by hot sauce; February 17, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Venom1956

Where in WI r you OP?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 17, 2010, 08:48 PM   #14
MOREAMMO

Watching some videos on youtube, the Desert Eagles seem to be pretty easy to take down and reassemble. I have been bitten by the bug. Rented one at the range in 44mag and was impressed on accuracy and lack of recoil. Is there a difference in the US made versus the IMI's? Is the chrome or nickel finish better?
Old February 17, 2010, 08:57 PM   #15
DiscoRacing

nothing to taking them down at all... i like the nickel as apposed to the brushed chrome
Old February 17, 2010, 09:34 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

I had my latest one for a while....

20 years, exactly. .44mag, bought new in Fed 1990. Today its called a Mark I, but in those days, there wasn't any other.
Quote:
"I found someone to take this overly expensive worthless fanboy pistol off my hands, sweet!"
Since I had a couple of .357s before I got my .44, and got it before Hollywood or the video game industry "discovered" the Desert Eagle, I don't see them as "fanboy" guns. But maybe thats because I was a bit ahead of the curve.

As to worthless, no working gun is worthless. It may not have much practical utility to you, but somebody else will have a different opinion.

As to overly expensive? Again, an opinion. A $2K 1911A1 is, to me, overly expensive, although far from useless or fanboy. My Desert Eagle was $650 NIB, and considering the relative value of our dollar in the current age, 1K-1500 is not drastically out of line, IMHO.

They aren't duty handguns. They will serve well hunting, but other designs will also do the same job, in smaller, lighter packages. The big .50 is a showoff gun, more than anything else. But there is nothing wrong with that. The drawback to the .50 is the ammo cost. The overall drawback to the Desert Eagle is the size, weight, ergonomics, and the fact that you are resticted to jacketed bullets (lead bullets will clog the gas system, and it cannot be easily cleaned).

On the plus side, the weight damps felt recoil, quite a bit. The .357 has a fierce blast, but very low recoil. The .44 Mag recoils like a hot .45acp. I haven't shot the .50, as I have no desire or interest in that caliber.

In my hands, the Desert Eagle is the worst of the original magum autos, for weight and balance, and especially grip size. My Auto Mag, Wildey, Grizzly, and Coonan are all better balanced, have smaller grips, and except for the Coonan, better sights.

If you want one for the "impress my friends" factor, go for it. Its only money, and life is too short to not spend a little to get what you want.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:38 PM   #17
Ar15M4

Isn't this like asking what color Lamborgini is the best?
Old February 17, 2010, 10:28 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I have a 44 one in matte chrome and love it.
That would be the caliber and finish I would want in a DE. I'd reserve the .357 for a Coonan.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:57 PM   #19
williamd

I have the little Bro - Isreal Military Industries on left, Magnum Research on right, Baby Eagle in 40S&W. Like big bro it is a bit heavy but fun to shoot.
Old February 17, 2010, 11:12 PM   #20
SilentHitz

Quote:
"I found someone to take this overly expensive worthless fanboy pistol off my hands, sweet!"
If the man I bought mine from thinks that...good, he got rid of something he didn't want, and I got something I DID want. Far from worthless when you open the freezer and see all that deer meat.

Got this .44 mag model in polished chrome, will prolly be selling my SRH now...like this much better.

http://k5fv.com/
Old February 17, 2010, 11:15 PM   #21
Venom1956

Grrr I HATE the name Baby Eagle... Jericho was sooooooo much better. I'm glad its back to that. It drove me nuts when someone would be like 'DUDE its just a SMALLER Deagle.' Its a *cough* CZ *cough* LOL rant over. apologies.

The ONLY Desert Eagle I'd like is one like Rembrandt has... it is simply gorgeous only time a Desert Eagle has caught my eye. Here is a link to his pics on another thread.

Post #40
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=393057&page=2
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 17, 2010, 11:19 PM   #22
SilentHitz

Yea Venom, I want a set of wood grips for mine...those look great on his pistol.

http://k5fv.com/
Old February 17, 2010, 11:22 PM   #23
Doc Intrepid

+1 to 44 AMP

I bought the DE I currently own in 2008.

It's a .44 Magnum in matte black, tritium night sights (replaced twice), and the aircraft aluminum lower receiver, which drops the weight significantly.

Like 44 AMP said: "The .44 Mag recoils like a hot .45acp."

I don't feel its a 'fanboy' pistol at all, whatever that means.

I carry it whenever I'm out in the Blue Mountains, hunting or hiking, its extremely accurate, mine has been uber-reliable, ...its a great outdoor pistol. And its not any larger or more unwieldy to pack around than any of the large, 6" or 8" bbl .44 Magnum (or larger) revolvers made by S&W, Taurus, Ruger, or Dan Wesson.

I'm not clear on why anyone would see much of a difference between a .44 Magnum revolver with an 8" bbl and a DE in terms of either utility, reliable performance, or overall packability. As a guy who has carried both, to me a large handgun is a large handgun...the DE just offers a faster reload and 8 rounds instead of 6. IMHO wherever the .44 magnum cartridge makes sense, this platform has a lot to offer.

Your mileage may (and probably does) vary...

Old February 18, 2010, 04:33 AM   #24
imthegrumpyone

Love my Stainless 9mm, don't carry it any more sense I turned to .40s. It's become just a house and range gun, would never get rid of it. Bought it over a Glock years ago, it had far better machine work, and the slide didn't feel like it was going to fall off.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:25 AM   #25
Webleymkv

It's really a matter of personal taste as to which finish you like. Matte chrome will probably be the most durable (unless they also make the gun in stainless).

Quote:
Isn't this like asking what color Lamborgini is the best?
No, it's not because the answer to that question is always black

Tags
desert eagle .50 , finishes , gamers , imi