The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #51
CrustyFN

Quote:
Something is terribly wrong if your powder measure can't throw Titegroup or AA-5 reliably
I would have to agree. I can throw Titegroup all day long in the pro auto disk measure without variation. Never tried AA-5
Rusty
Old September 27, 2008, 08:54 PM   #52
kraigwy

All the loads you mentioned are well adapted to a progressive loader.

Fist, you are wrong about progressive loaders costing more, maybe at start up. In 1978 I bought a Dillon 1000, (not the newer 1050).

I have no ideal how many tens of thousands of rounds I've loaded on it. I use to sell reloads to Police Departments, Gun Stores, and Individuals. Plus I was running the AK Marksmanship Unit. When we were shorted ammo we used my Dillon to make up the shortage. We were shooting 45s in the 80s when the Army and NG were total out. (they ended up buying 45 ammo from Israel). We had casting parties and pumped out the ammo. My Dillon paid for itself a hundred times over.

Yeah it taks about 20 minutes to change over calibers, but you make up for that in volume. My Dillion loads up to 1000 rounds an hour for pistols, a bit slower for rifles but much faster then you can on a single stage press. An example, with the pistol cals. you mention, you need to deprime and size, (remove the crimp on miltary brass), prime, charge the powder, seat the bullet, and crimp the bullet. Depends on how you load, thats 4-5 differant stages. My dillion does spits out a loaded round with each pull of the handle. including swedging he primer pocket.

I dont know how much you shoot, But I shoot 3-500 rounds of week, I couldnt do that on a single stage press.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 7, 2008, 11:10 PM   #53
kingbubbatruck

As the OP, Just had to say, My dear wife just said out of the blue that she'd like to buy me a reloading press for Christmas this year

No need to talk me out of going progressive anymore, I'm placing the order soon....
Old October 8, 2008, 11:47 AM   #54
44Magnum

You picked a good one... wife that is.

Congratulations!
Old October 8, 2008, 03:27 PM   #55
ilbob

If you are loading rifle, you have an issue to deal with that can create a little bit of a problem using progressive presses. After you size the cartridge you need to measure the OAL of the thing and trim it if necessary. If you have to take the cartridge out of the press to measure and trim it, a lot of the advantages of a progressive press go away.

There is also the issue of swaging the primer pocket if using military brass.