The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2000, 09:18 AM   #1
AndyP

I just started reloading this last week to support my IPSC shooting in 9mm. It happens that I bought Universal Clays for my powder (a guy in the store recommended it as clean).

My RCBS Rockchucker kit came with a Speer reloading manual. Its recommended MAX charging for a 115 gr FMJRN bullet is 5.3 grains of Universal Clays. The Hodgdon website gives a MAX of 5.0.

I've worked up three loads with 4.7, 5.0, and 5.3 grains using Hornady 115 gr FMJRN bullets and S&B once-fired brass (with CCI primers). I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet (only one indoor range in the area to which I have access on Monday evenings only, and it is too cold for the outdoor range here).

But I was wondering, what is your favorite charge for this round with UC? I'll be shooting with a Glock 19 and CZ 75B.

Also, how do you tell which load is best? Grouping on the target? Your gun not blowing up?

Any advice would be welcome.

Best regards,
AndyP

Old January 24, 2000, 07:56 PM   #2
CCV

I used Hodgdon's Universal Clays in the 9mm until they came out with TiteGroup. At that time I was loading a 115 WW JHP over 5.0 grains of Universal and this proved to be a very good load. It is not a max load, isn't hard on the gun, and provided acceptable accuracy.

When you are ready to upgrade, try TiteGroup!
Old January 24, 2000, 09:45 PM   #3
Walt Welch

When the manufacturer of a powder recommends a load less than another source, it is best to go with the powder company's recommendation. They are continually updating their information, often by retesting loads with the more accurate piezoelectric system, so the most up to date information comes from the powder manufacturers.

This goes double in a small cap case like the 9 x 19, in which minor changes of variables can cause precipitous rise in pressures.

Since the latest Hodgdon's manual doesn't even list a load for clays in the 9 x 19. I suggest you take CCV's advice and switch to Titegroup. Judging from the loads given, it seems to have a burning rate similar to clays.

Walt