The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2017, 11:58 AM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...to get the brass shavings out..." Shouldn't be any brass shavings after tumbling before priming. The chances of the walnut shells filling the primer hole are much higher if you tumble after priming. Mind you, brass shavings won't make any difference one way or the other.
"...once before annealing..." You only anneal when it's required. Annealing is not an every time thing. No need to tumble before annealing anyway.
Ya'll really want the reloading process to be far more complicated than it is.
"...destructive test of firearms..." Isn't done by the military anywhere.
Old October 7, 2017, 12:38 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

If you read the first post you'd know the brass shavings he is referring to would come from trimming cases that were already tumbled and primed for loading.

My main question is, why do you need to get the shavings out? They will blow out when you shoot the gun. They are not harder than the bore. Indeed, bullets can be made from brass and fired and they work just fine. They are only unpopular because brass is expensive and less dense than either lead or copper solids. So, what are you saving yourself from by cleaning a few shavings out?

Incidentally, brass wire edges from using sharp case chamfering and deburring tools show up all the time in cast bullet lube build-up left in seating and crimping dies. You find them when you clean the dies, so you know some stayed with their cartridges and were fired through the barrel. I've never seen any sign of harm from them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 7, 2017, 02:42 PM   #28
hounddawg

@ Unclenick
Quote:
My main question is, why do you need to get the shavings out? They will blow out when you shoot the gun. They are not harder than the bore. Indeed, bullets can be made from brass and fired and they work just fine. They are only unpopular because brass is expensive and less dense than either lead or copper solids. So, what are you saving yourself from by cleaning a few shavings out?
Excellent question and one I have no answer for. I suppose I was just thinking that they did not belong in there so they needed to go. As you pointed out though they would affect nothing at all, thanks for pointing that out

@T. O'Heir
Quote:
You only anneal when it's required. Annealing is not an every time thing. No need to tumble before annealing anyway
If you want consistent neck tension it is best to anneal before each reloading cycle. It is pretty easy with the setup I have takes maybe ten minutes for the first fifty cases and maybe another five minutes for every fifty following the first batch.

I clean before annealing for two reasons. First the next step after annealing is case sizing so I like my cases clean before they go into the dies also any soot on the inside of the necks will affect the anneal so not only do I tumble before the anneal but I also brush the inside of the necks with a bronze bore brush chucked in my drill press.

Using my method I get vertical dispersion of less than 1 MOA or less out to 800 yards. Neck tension does matter in LR shooting

Last edited by hounddawg; October 7, 2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old October 7, 2017, 03:06 PM   #29
Metal god

I would say the answer to that is a question . Maybe not in your case this time but I’ve trimmed case that left a long curly Q of brass which at times brake into smaller but still large-ish pieces . Can those pieces fall into or work there way through the flash hole obstructing the ability for the primer crush correctly ?

I have a general understanding of how primers work but if there was enough obstruction in there would a fail to ignite ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 8, 2017, 09:29 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Since his primers are already seated, there is no way for the brass chips to interfere with their depth or the setting of the bridge, so I don't see how a primer ignition failure could occur. If you get a large piece of brass down in the flash hole, then it will have much the same effect as flash hole burrs, redirecting the flame a bit. If he is benchrest shooting and deburrs his flash holes for better powder ignition consistency, then at least tapping the mouth of the inverted case on a block of wood to dislodge large brass pieces would make sense to do. A Q-tip could be used to pick up anything else loose from inside if it were concerning him.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 11, 2017, 06:56 AM   #31
Brassguy

I tumble before priming but that's only because I toss it in the tumbler when I get home from the range while I'm cleaning the guns. I have a handheld decapper and primer so I usually deprive and deprive separately while watching tv.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:31 PM   #32
Emerson Biggies

I have loaded and fired thousands of 9mm with tumbling media specs in the flash hole. No problem. The speck of media just goes out the barrel.