The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 15, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
smonahan74

Flintlock pistol.

Hi, I have a flintlock pistol that I would like to hear more opinions on. I know it has a few screws that are not original from whenever the gun was made. The silver wire inlay IS silver (acid tested piece that had come out). Parts move, half cocks, fully cocks, pull the trigger and it strikes the frizzen.

I don't know if Replicas or reproductions are capable of "firing" but from what I have heard the foreign tourist built pistols are . So i guess that the fact that mine acts like a gun doesnt mean much as far as it being something special. I have also been told they put the locks on other black powder pistols sometimes to piece together and make a flintlock.

I guess my best bet is to post pictures..... hopefully they are good enough shots/quality for someone to see something that helps identify what I have.

Thanks for looking!

SORRY, I WAS UNABLE TO UPLOAD PICTURES DIRECTLY TO THIS POST BUT PLEASE CLICK ON LINK TO MY PICTURES!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11781...76747639495393
Old April 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL !

JMO, but the style & crudeness of the inlays & overlays lead me to beleive it comes from one of the cave gunsmiths in one of the "Stan's" (Paki, Afghani, Waziri, etc) - long known for their handmade guns of all sorts.

Old April 17, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
smonahan74

Thank you SOOO much or the reply AND getting the pics posted for me! A few people have thought it was maybe from Turkey.....
Old April 17, 2013, 08:32 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Somewhere in the middle East, that's for sure.

For years, the only pistols we saw like that were those brought back by the few tourists who visited those areas. But today, we have thousands of soldiers in that general area who are banned from bringing back enemy weapons as souvenirs, but who have money and want some kind of firearm as a trophy. The result is an influx of those guns, ranging from ones made as serious firearms to guns that could not possibly fire and were never intended to. FWIW, I think that one might fall into the former category, but it is so crude that no attempt should be made to fire it.

Jim

Tags
antique , black powder , flintlock