The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Coop de Ville

Smithy in DC/MD

Hi All,

I am looking for a smith in the DC MD area that can help me with a SA 1911A1 Milspec.

In short the gun is about 11 years old and has been slightly modified. I ended up having a smith tune it nice with a 3.5 lb trigger. After awhile I decided I didn't like the trigger because it didn't match, so I bought a solid black trigger from a gun show. I ended up having function problems and had to buy a couple new thumb safeties til I found one where it works.

So now it functions the way it's supposed to and it won't malfunction. However, since I replaced parts with unknown parts, I have an issue with it in the sense that I am afraid it will malfunction at some point. I have fiddled with it so much, it concerns me.

So, what I would like is to have someone install some quality small parts only for the purposed of making it perfectly reliable. I can forgo the 3.5 trigger if necessary.

Basically someone who could tune it a bit without breaking my bank. Someone local if possible. Anyone on this forum up to the task?

Thanks,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old June 15, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
egor20

I use these guys for my pistols, a bit pricey but the work is excellent

Hatfields Gunsmiffin' Inc
8898 Mathis Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 369-4867 ‎

http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com

Hope it helps, they did my trigger work on my RIA CS, turn around was 10 days.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 16, 2011, 06:04 AM   #3
MC 1911

I use these guys for my pistols, a bit pricey but the work is excellent

Hatfields Gunsmiffin' Inc
8898 Mathis Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 369-4867 ‎

http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com

Hope it helps, they did my trigger work on my RIA CS, turn around was 10 days.

I know several people who use Hatfields as well and both have been very happy with their work.Not in DC or Md. but worth a look!
Old June 16, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Shadi Khalil

Contact sandy garrett of nova gun works. Not the nicest guy but his work is excellent.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:09 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am a believer that what works works. If you have put enough rounds through that gun to consider it reliable, I wouldn't have anyone work on it. The smith might be good, but even good smiths can goof and you might pay money and end up worse than you are now.

A secondary issue is that if you get the gun back and it fails, who is responsible? Unless you have the smith completely rework the gun, he could blame any problems on your parts/work. I have had that experience, and one of those contests with everyone screaming for a lawyer is no fun.

Jim
Old June 26, 2011, 01:47 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

David Sams; AmericanPistol.com ....

Central VA/NOVA pistolsmith David Sams does a lot of 1911 series work.

Sams also did custom/match work for members of the USAF pistol team.
I'm not sure of his shop's URL. Another good source is: www.AmericanPistol.com . This is a listing of American Pistolsmith Guild members. You can search by state or custom service.

CF
Old June 26, 2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Coop de Ville

Thanks All for the help. I'm going to think this one through.

Regards,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old June 26, 2011, 10:31 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Northern VA Gun Works; AmericanPistol.com ....

2 Garrets are listed as working on 1911a1 series pistols & the S-A line; www.AmericanPistol.com .

ClydeFrog