The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2009, 09:14 AM   #51
bignz

Foxbat,

I'm glad you find that "interesting" but the logic is sound. At the end of the year you will likely have shot more, but spent around the same. That is awesome and I will say that reloading lets me shoot more. What I will not say is that reloading saves me money. My wife, for instance, certainly understands the difference. It doesn't matter to her how much I shoot but it does matter how much money we have left for her to do this and that and reloading has not improved her situation.

I would bet a significant sum that people who shoot 1 box (or say 50 rounds) a week shoot more than 99.8 percent of Americans. And I know plenty such people who are VERY interested in guns and ammo, and who's opinion of those topics I value greatly.

It seems both inaccurate and frankly mean spirited to suggest that people aren't real enthusiasts unless they shoot over some amount. The more this sport/hobby is populated with people who divide shooters into real and pretenders (or however you want describe it) and treat them as such (and I have seen these sorts who laugh at the new/seldom shooter or more likely ridicule them once they leave) the harder it will be to get new people interested. And then we will CERTAINLY NOT be saving money.
Old October 2, 2009, 09:27 AM   #52
Foxbat

I think you got way too emotional responding... read more carefully what I said. "Interesting" referred to those who recommend against reloading based on that criteria. Otherwise - I said shooting more is blessing... you said shooting more is blessing...

Now, YOU introduced the word "pretenders", completely uncalled for. Not being too interested in a hobby does not make one a pretender, so it seem it is you, not me, who is building a divide.

I stand by what I said - someone shooting very little is not too interested in the hobby. I am not interested in thousands of things, nothing wrong with that.
Old October 2, 2009, 10:16 AM   #53
Claude Clay

i shoot more and spend less.

i also shoot more of what i like cause i make it that way.

an hour last nite and i made
--100 230gr lrn @ 4.5 bullseye for a friends commander. feeds easy, shoots soft
--100 200gr lsw @ 4.7 bullseye makes a slightly hot round for the 1911's
--200 124gr lrn @ 4.3 Bullseye some for my friends smg and the rest for the p-7

the set-up costs can be mostly recouped when you sell the equipment years down the road but i factor in 1 cent per round as 'overhead'.
the 400 rounds 'cost' me $50.00. Williams reloads a favorite in my area which is loaded light, would have cost with tax about $138.00.
the math seems pretty simple to me.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old October 2, 2009, 10:30 AM   #54
Farmland

To be honest I was thinking just dollars and cents on this topic. Sure I love the hobby of reloading and my wife thinks I would reload anything even if I don't have a gun to shoot them with. To tell the truth she is right, I just love making ammunition.

So lets forget about the fun, time, accuracy, load development and the rest and just look at the dollar and cents.

I'm going to shoot what I am going to shoot, reloading really doesn't let me shoot any more than if I didn't. I have to practice and I'm going to shoot the same amount either way.

So I sat down to try and see from this view point how much money I was saving shooting reloads over other types of ammunition. The other options were re-manufactured, bulk purchase etc.

At the best that I can tell reloading does offer a savings at least around 30% and in some cases close to 50%.

I think we can agree that everyone has a different interest in guns and ammunition. I do understand that each of us has a different interest and purpose in reloading too. Some of us will have an unlimited budget while the next person may have trouble coming up with money for one of those Lee hand loaders devices. Reloading reduces my cost so that I can practice on a weekly basis. Reloading for others may mean they can fire a few more boxes each month while others may develop a few boxes of the best hunting ammunition.

Me I'm just trying to see and explore the best way to keep my ammunition prices in check.
Old October 2, 2009, 11:31 AM   #55
Foxbat

I think your 30-50% figures are WAY too pessimistic. Of course much depends on the caliber, but most of the time I am in the 70% saving zone.

As I mentioned before, I save close to $1000 each month.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:52 PM   #56
Farmland

That is a good savings. I am still trying to figure out my true savings though.
Old October 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #57
Jector

LOL,
I started reloading a couple weeks ago... got a Hornady Pro-Jector to use from a friend that got it second hand but never reloaded. Came with 44 Mag set up, I don't have a 44 mag, Sooo... go shoppin'. I've spent ~$600 setting up ~4 calibers and have loaded about 300 rounds. So, $600 divided by 300 rounds = $2.00 per round for the first 300 (a little pricey for 45's and 38's but hey, they're custom loads right?). The good news it from here on out they will be WAYYY cheaper! (new math)
Old October 2, 2009, 11:13 PM   #58
Blue

Cost of Reloading?

I know my cost per round, typically, is less than factory ammo. But really, I don't care - I just love reloading. I can't read enough or learn enough about it. I am in the mode now of looking to purchase weapons in calibers I don't have - just to get set up and go throught the "find a load that works for this one" routine. Reload 150-200 rounde per day on loading days and at the range at least 2 days a week. Can't get enough!

I keep buying more stuff all the time when I see something new. I guess I am addicted.

Last edited by Blue; October 3, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old October 2, 2009, 11:52 PM   #59
Blue

Cost basis for reloads

I have always kept a spreadsheet for what I have spent which includes part numbers and quantities of expendables (Powder,Primers, Bullets, Brass).( But intangible cost of case prep not included)

It automatically updates the cost of production in two ways - total per round cost each and also cost per each in each category (2506,3006,45acp,9mm, etc.)

Bottom line - to date:

Overall cost savings vs factory loads (updated on each purchase and normalized as to date purchased and dollar "actual value" in purchasing power with analysis of variance quantifiers and standard deviation normalization adjustments.

Overall, 18 % less than factory up to 100 rounds per category. Up to 200 22 %, and then to 500 rounds 29%, this is normalized total % for all rifle and pistol.

Individually, but understand it is for my individual choices of bullet, primer and powder, 45 ACP (Most loaded) 42% less than factory, 44 Mag 40% less, 2506 = 32% (use expensive brass), 3006 =35% less(expensive brass), 9mil = 50% less, 308 = 22% less(expensive brass), 243= 31% less, 6.5xx = 16% less, . Varies with number of loads per case. (just another mutually dependent variable)

Last edited by Blue; October 3, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old October 3, 2009, 08:41 AM   #60
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Your time might be worth money but unless you're giving up time that would otherwise be used making money in order to reload then it's pretty tough to say that it's costing you anything. Missing a baseball game on tv is not exactly a monetary "cost".
Actually, unless you really enjoy reloading, it is a very real QOL (quality of life) cost. Do you enjoy grubbing for brass? Do you enjoy popping primers and cleaning primer pockets. Do you enjoy resizing, etc. Some people really do enjoy it. Some don't. Personally, I have better things to do with my life.

So when we speak of true costs, for some those true costs can be much higher than just the monetary aspect. For others, it will be lower.
Old October 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #61
Foxbat

"Actually, unless you really enjoy reloading, it is a very real QOL (quality of life) cost. Do you enjoy grubbing for brass? Do you enjoy popping primers and cleaning primer pockets. Do you enjoy resizing, etc. Some people really do enjoy it. Some don't. Personally, I have better things to do with my life."

That is of course your choice, but let's not blow the time requirement out of proportion. You can perfectly load 100 rounds in 10 minutes counting everything. So basically it takes far less time to load them than to shoot. 100 rounds is about what many people shoot per week.

Me... I just love the look of a bin full of fresh rounds...