The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 17, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1
MPD223

Spring Bear hunt

My dad and I are thinking of doing a spring bear hunt next year in Wyoming. This would be our first time and were not sure what to expect. I have a few questions hoping you guys have the answers.

1.Is Wyoming(Jackson Hole) a good area for bears? Or is there another area you would recommend?

2. We will be using a guide, so does any one have any good/bad experiences with any guides in Wyoming/Washington area?

3.Would a M1a be an adequate rifle?

Or if you have any other helpful information I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

MPD223
Old January 19, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
shotguna

1. I'm not so sure about that particular place, but overall the state (and going by my trust map, the region) is a good place to get a bear.

2. I've never been with a guide, so I cant help you there, but ive heard good things about them.

3. provided that you are allowed to use a semi-auto in the state you're hunting in, the .308 would be fine for bear, I just wouldn't take shots that are huge distances.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:23 AM   #3
MPD223

Shotguna thanks for the reply
Old January 20, 2009, 04:54 AM   #4
troy_mclure

ive done spring bear hunt in minesota, the bears are verry skittish, you have to be really still, and wait for the right shot dont rush, take your time, once he starts eating he will settle in on the bait.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 20, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Huntergirl

Wyoming black bear new state record in 2007, shot outside of Dubois, WY by 16yr old girl. They had to move quick to haul it out as grizzlies were in the area. It was a whopper for a Wyoming blackie. Idaho though has a better black bear population and access. I'd try Idaho first if you're going outfitter.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:22 PM   #6
taylorce1

I can't say enough good things about Southeast Alaska for black bears. I went there in May 2007 on my first bear hunt, self guided and came home with a boar that measured 19.25" skull and about a 6' square hide. I'm sure I'll go back sometime in the future just I'm still trying to recover from last years fuel prices.

What kind of hunting are you going to do? Is it going to be spot and stalk, or running with hounds? Does WY have baiting?

As far as your M1A it should work just fine on bear, just make sure it is legal to use. A lot of States have magazine capacity restrictions usually 6 rounds or less. The M1A might be a little heavy if you have to do a lot of walking with it but that would be the only drawback to using that rifle I can think of.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:53 PM   #7
MPD223

If we settle on the outfitter in Wyoming it would be a bait hunt. Does anyone know if it is legal to hunt with a semi auto in Wy?
Old January 20, 2009, 09:41 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Or if you have any other helpful information I would appreciate it.
I went hunting last year in Montana and they had a late spring so the bears were not overabundant the week I was there. Best check with your guide to find the best week in your area.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9
MPD223

Does anyone think there is a better chance of getting a bear in Canada over the US? I would like to stay in the states, but if we have better odds of getting a bear north of the border thats where well go.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:24 AM   #10
troy_mclure

my dad alternates bear/elk hunts. he has shot as many bear in usa(3) as Canada(3).
1 of the Canadians was his biggest (440), but the American ones were lots cheaper.
and tastier too! j/k lol

all were equaly tasty.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."