The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2000, 02:18 PM   #1
ARKCHAZ

I looked to see if this question had been asked before. Didn't see it so here goes. I am loading .38 special with 3.5 grains of HP-38 with a 158 grain LSWC and WSP primers. Almost no crimp. On ejecting the cases unburned powder falls out all over the place. What is causing this? How can I get all the powder to burn? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old January 24, 2000, 04:33 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

The fact that you're hardly crimping your cases is what is causing your problems. The crimp provides the bullet pull necessary for proper combuston of the powder in the case. Properly sized and crimped cases are essential.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old January 25, 2000, 03:20 PM   #3
Walt Welch

I agree with Bill that is probably your problem. One other, albeit unlikely possibility is that the OD of your expander plug is too large. You should feel some resistance when you seat the bullet. If a bullet will slip easily into a resized, then expanded and belled case, then the case is bein expanded too much.

Walt