The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
AllenJ

1903 A3 bolt question

I want to put a scope on my 03A3 using Leupold mounts but the bolt handle comes up to far. Does anyone make a replacement that'll work or is this something that needs to be done by a gunsmith?
Old September 23, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Scorch

It is a gunsmithing job. The old handle needs to be forged to reshape it, or cut off and a new handle welded on.
Old September 23, 2011, 02:17 PM   #3
AllenJ

Thanks Scorch, I thought it was but was hoping there was a way around it.
Old September 24, 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Powderman

It's your rifle, and your decision.

However, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend that if this is an original '03A3 that you leave it AS IS.

Spend the coin, and get another bolt action to mount the scope on.

The 1903's of all variations are getting more and more scarce. Take care of that one!
Old September 24, 2011, 04:45 AM   #5
HiBC

I will offer you an option that may,or may not work.Way back,when sporterizing milsurps was practical,a lot of bolts were modified.It may be possible to still get a scope modified bolt from Numrich,Springfield Sporters,Old Western Scrounger,Sarco,etc.I would guess the price might be $30 if you can find one.That is cheaper than modding your original,and your original will still be original.
Now,in a perfect world,most of the time the tolerance stack will permit this to work out,but,not always.If you do change bolts,you must check headspace.You might lose,but,it might be worth a shot.
Old September 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Mike40-11

I second Powderman, don't hurt it!. As he said though, your rifle. Personally, I'd set it up as an A4 if I wanted to scope it. Original-ish, anyway. Sarco does have the bent bolts. I can never figure out what anything on their website costs though.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/springfields.html#1
Old September 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #7
AllenJ

Thank you all for your excellent replies, very helpful information. This rifle has already been sporterized so no worries there. It belong to my father and I would like to make it a gun I'll use rather than a gun that just takes up space in the safe. My plan was to put a comp stock on it, a scope, and replace the trigger. I say "was my plan" because upon checking the serial number it is in the 600,000's and now I'm a little concerned that it the gun is not safe to shoot. I have read all sorts of stuff that a low number Springfield (800,00 and lower serial numbers) may have a problem, anyone have an opinion you'd like to give me on this?
Old September 27, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
triggerman770

1903 A3

If it's an 03-a3 it's a remington or Smith Corona made in 1942 or so. the 800k is for ww1 springfield armory guns. If it is indeed an 03-a3 it should be safe to shoot. If any doubt have it checked out
www.georgiacarry.org
Old September 28, 2011, 03:47 AM   #9
HiBC

I myself ,just my own preferences,would lean toward putting it back in military trim if possible;If it is still pretty much military with just a sporter stock.Here is why.There aren't any more.You can look at Gibbs Rifle Co,and the Old Western Scrounger sites ,they may have a few.Kraigwy knows the CMP program very well,and some parts may be available.I think Boyds makes repro wood.

There are vintage military rifle matches.Your rifle might restore to be a fine rifle to show up with.

Now,you can still do things your way,no problem.I would look for 1903 mag box/guard assy.

For ideas,you might research the old NRA Springfield Sporter,the Sedgley Springfield,and the Griffin and Howe Springfield Sporter.At least these designs are true to Springfield history as far as classic Springfield Sporters.