The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
FLA2760

Cold Steel Voyager?

HI All
Does anyone have a Cold Steel Voyager extra large size? Are you happy with it? Is it too large for pocket carry utilizing the pocket clip. How about iwb carry with the clip? Thank You.
Steve
Old September 2, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've carried one for years now. Works ok in either front or back pocket with the clip. My clip got caught on something and snapped off a few years ago. I cut the rest of the clip off and carry it in my back pocket without a clip.

Pretty big knife. You might want to keep something else handy for small jobs. Some people will wet themselves when you whip out an XL Voyager...
Old September 2, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3
claude783

I have had one for several years. I agree it is a little large at times, but it is designed for serious encounters. The mere flick of that large, Tanto, Serrated, blade coming out will probably discourage all but the most stupid Gremlins.

I also have the Ti-Lite, which I like very, very much. Depending on which shift I work, determines which knife I carry.

Day shift, a small buck folding.
Swing: Ti-lite or Voyager
Grave: Voyager
Old September 3, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4
tshadow6

Voyager

I have the xl voyager. It is too large but I still can carry it well. A good alternative is the medium voyager.
Old September 3, 2005, 11:52 AM   #5
stephen426

The XL Voyager is freaking huge. I have one but I don't carry it around. With its 5" blade, it is a bit much. If you are out in the woods and are wearing cargo pants or something, maybe you can get away with it. For everyday use, I prefer a 4" blade such as the large Voyagers. The best knife I have owned and carried thus far has been the Benchmade 710 by McHenry's and Williams.

I put Benchmade on the same level as Sig Sauers. They are on the higher end of the spectrum for utilitarian purposes but there are of extremely high quality. The Cold Steel Knives are more like Glocks. They are plastic and not as pretty to look at but they still get the job done well. The only thing is the steel used by Benchmade is a better quality than Cold Steel. Most of the Benchmade knives are either ATS-34, 154CM, or S30V. They also have harder but less corrosion resistant "tool steels" such as M2. Most of Cold Steels folders use AUS 8. They are very sharp from the factory but don't hold and edge nearly as well as the other steels. AUS 8 is also much harder to sharpen in my opinion. One more advantage benchmade has is their Axis lock. Check out their website benchmade to see how it works. Open and close it with one hand and you will be absolutely impressed. The lock is super smoothe, allows for blade up or blade down carry, and is super strong.

I would also like to recommend a site that sells knives. Bayou Lafouche Knife Works has excellent prices, quality merchandise, and excellent service. Their website is www.knifeworks.com. Happy shopping!
Old September 3, 2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Psalm 144:1

I have one

and love it! As my premiere serious "social" knife, I try not to cut anything at all with it to try and preserve that sweet factory edge,but of course I would if necessary. That`s why I have the one without the serrations; it`s easier to sharpen.
Old September 3, 2005, 04:34 PM   #7
michael t

Got mine cliped in front pocket right now. I have carried mine for years all over the US while I was a trucker . Ive had to cut belts, Hoses and large mudflaps out on road and has always come thru. I also feel its a good SD knife that large chip point makes people stop. They see Bowie knife not folder. I also have some several Spanish navaja's(what the voyager is copied from) that make the XL voyager look small 18" to 21" open Those I stick IWB when I carry
Old September 3, 2005, 09:13 PM   #8
S.E.R.T.SGT

Have 3 Cold Steels, the Voyager being one of them. I really like the Cold Steel for on duty, and usually have at least two of them strategically placed on my person...enjoy...

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old September 3, 2005, 09:30 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I try not to cut anything at all with it to try and preserve that sweet factory edge
Ditto on the first part, but as to the second--I wasn't satisfied with the factory edge. It's sharp enough now...
Old September 11, 2005, 05:37 PM   #10
Ichiro

I had a medium Voyager, fully serrated, tanto point for years. That knife cut through ANYTHING, no matter how much abuse it sustained and without any sharpening. I cut through a thick rock climbing rope with it once, easily. With one stroke, it cut clean through with no resistance.

This knife was stolen, and I replaced it with a Large Voyager with the same blade style. I KNOW this knife will cut through anything I need it to, although I haven't used for anything yet. I have a Spyderco Calypso Jr. for a daily utility knife, and it works even better for small tasks and cutting sandwiches, etc.

My self-defense carry knife has been replaced by a Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum. However, when I need to walk the dog after having a couple of beers, my large tanto and a 2oz can of pepper spray accompany me in the park. I would NOT want to face any knife, but especially not that monster. The XL should be even more effective than the large.

~Ichiro