The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 9, 2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Koda94

Not the actual study but best I can do from my phone...

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...ar%20spray.pdf
Old February 9, 2017, 09:48 PM   #27
reynolds357

What were the firearms in the study? 9mm Luger? 38 SPL?
For the study to be useful to me personally, I would need to see a study of "Effectiveness of Bear Spray VS. effectiveness of 445 Supermag."
Old February 10, 2017, 12:58 AM   #28
Koda94

Quote:
What were the firearms in the study? 9mm Luger? 38 SPL?
For the study to be useful to me personally, I would need to see a study of "Effectiveness of Bear Spray VS. effectiveness of 445 Supermag."
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...al%20Spray.pdf

in short: Bear Spray: 90% successful. Pistols: 84%, Rifles: 76%. Bear inflicted injuries on firearm users: 56%. (pg74)

I'll let you figure out where your supermag fits in...

I got nothing against a gun for bear defense but all Im saying is 90% better odds.
Old February 10, 2017, 01:25 AM   #29
Lucas McCain

I don't have a manual that shows it, but I seem to remember bask in the day when Ruger was making the 44 mag in a rifle that there was a load specifically for the rifle that was heavier than the pistol cartridge.
Can someone add to that, please.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:54 PM   #30
Berserker

As said lead semi wad cutter, LSWC, not HP. Get something from Buffalo Bore. Black bear is different than grizzly. But something is better than nothing.

I carry heavy 44 specials in wolf an black bear country. Hopefully never find out.

Never heard of 223 being used,unless at a distance.

A shotgun with slugs is probably the best. But long guns are carried less.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:57 PM   #31
Berserker

The brass will still limit pressure, even if in a rifle. Granted I would feel better about a hot load in a lever.

Some people claim reloading manuals have seperate sections for super blackhawks, but in all the manuals I have, I have never seen one. Maybe years ago.

Yes, I realize it is over 81 days, which sure isn't much. But no one answered.

Maybe this will turn up in a search someday. I know I have read lots of bear threads on lots of sites.
Old July 8, 2017, 02:29 PM   #32
shootsasharps

Bear spray is a way more effective for self defense against a bear as it requires literally 3 seconds to aim and shoot and covers a much wider target than a bullet. Cost's about $50 a can and is available without permit at most hunting/sporting goods stores (cabelas). The odds on someone being able to draw a gun and aim at a charging animal with zero warning are about 1/1000 and when you do miss or worse hit somewhere other than the brain box your done. I don't care how many bullets the gun has. Your getting one shot maybe.
Old July 8, 2017, 05:10 PM   #33
ShootistPRS

Never, NEVER, shoot a charging bear in the head. The skull of a bear is shaped like a radar resistant boat and built like a tank. It is extremely difficult to penetrate a bears skull with even the biggest magnum rifles. When they charge the head is lowered and bobbing around like the dancers at a rave party. Shoot into the area below the head - the neck and chest is there and you can do some real damage.

The guy that ran my favorite gun store in Seattle was a guide in Alaska and known for shooting bear through the eye socket after a hunter failed to hit vitals. He quit as a guide and came to Seattle after he shot a grizzly which dropped immediately as they do when shot through the eye but just after slitting the bears throat he noticed that he had missed the eye and the bullet had scraped the brow and top/side of the head knocking the bear unconscious. If that bear had come to before he had cut its throat he would have been done. He figured his string of luck was used up and he walked away.