The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2010, 10:13 PM   #26
Olympus

This is a set of big leaf maple burl. Really a unique wood. It's a good thing that I've got a lot more of it. The flash on my camera makes the finish look like it has little specks in it. The finish is smooth as glass. I'm not a professional photographer.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:18 PM   #27
bangbang777

Those fiddleback maple grips are incredible. I will be purchasing a pair soon.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:10 PM   #28
vostracker

grips

Olympus: Beautiful workmanship. Sure wish you made grips like those for a S&W model 39. Been looking forever for something like yours to dress up the ol girl.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Olympus

Thanks for the compliments. I can't tell you how many emails I get in a week for people wanting a set for a revolver. I really wish I had the setup to make revolver grips. I know a lot of SASS shooters who beg for a customized set of grips for their single actions. Maybe one of these days I will expand into revolver grips. But I would say it won't be anytime in 2010.

Old January 7, 2010, 05:48 PM   #30
Olympus

Here's a new set of some bookmatched claro walnut. This set has some really unique colors and grain patterns. The right piece of walnut can look very classy.

Old January 9, 2010, 05:10 PM   #31
Olympus

I haven't made a nice set of spalted maple in while. Here's the newest set you can find on my website...

Old January 9, 2010, 05:33 PM   #32
dreamweaver

the walnut,black horn, black and white ebony, and birdseye maple started as mine, but were refinished and/or checkered by oldmajics

Old January 9, 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
kayakersteve

Those are very nice

Olympus - Do you make grips for compact 1911's? Do you make slim models? Thanks
Old January 9, 2010, 07:41 PM   #34
Olympus

Sure, I make grips for officers models or ultra carrys. I can do just about anything that is similar to a 1911. Llama frames, Star, Ballestar-Molina, just about anything. And I can make the grips as thin as you want. Some people request thin and don't realize that you have to have thin bushings or adapters on the frame. But I'll make them as thin as a person wants.

Old January 13, 2010, 12:18 PM   #35
Olympus

Here's the newest set of fiddleback maple grips. This set is pretty much identical to a factory set. It has the msh pin cut-out and a bevel bottom. These grips really look good on a blued frame. The customer who bought the last set sent me pictures of the grips on his blued frame and it really brings out the contrast between the two. If I had a blued 1911, I'd make a set for myself.

Old January 13, 2010, 12:30 PM   #36
XD Gunner

Anyway to make a set for a Jericho 941? Haven't received the gun yet, so I'm not sure what exactly it would entail.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old January 14, 2010, 08:26 AM   #37
Olympus

I'd have to see what the inside looked look and how the grips fits onto the frame.

Old January 15, 2010, 01:39 PM   #38
Olympus

Amboyna burl grips with the pin cut-out and beveled bottom. They are finished with 10 coats of tung oil Not my preferred finish for this particular wood, but it's what the customer requested.

Old January 25, 2010, 09:46 PM   #39
Olympus

Trying something different in the design part. I wanted to try something new around the MSH pin area. I'm calling this the double-bevel cut. It will not work for bobtail frames though. The angle of the cut is different than bobtail frames. We'll see if this new design catches on. If not, the wood is just so pretty that I'll end up putting the grips on my own gun!

Old January 26, 2010, 05:35 PM   #40
Olympus

Another set of desert ironwood.

Old January 30, 2010, 12:17 AM   #41
Beence

Olympus,
Really outstanding work. I am starting to make my own grips. Could you tell me the screw hole spacing center-to-center for a Colt Officers 45.
I have the original rubber grips, but using them to determine the spacing is hit or miss since the rubber has too much give.
Thanks for your help.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:21 PM   #42
HighStrung

Olympus, very beautiful work. I was wondering if you have anything (or could make them) for a Colt Mustang .380? I'll be acquiring one as soon as the tax check gets here and I'm not sure I want the factory grips left on it. It won't be a daily carry weapon so I thought I may dress it up a little. After looking through your website, I'm interested in the Fiddleback Maple and the Bookmatched Desert Ironwood. I think the Fiddleback would look better on the blued gun though. Either way, let me know if you can make a set for this gun and we'll work out the details in the near future. Look forward to hearing from you.
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second does not become the legalized version of the first.” Thomas Jefferson
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson
Old January 31, 2010, 06:21 PM   #43
Olympus

I have made a set of grips for a Colt Pocketlite, which is somewhat similar to the Mustang and I've also made a set for a Sig P238 which are kind of similar too. Because I rarely receive requests for the Mustang, I don't keep a template on hand for those grips. Shoot me a PM and I will be happy to discuss details with you.

Old February 4, 2010, 03:15 PM   #44
Evyl Robot

Gorgeous work there, Olympus! I've contemplated doing some custom grips, but so far have only stuck to holsters. Sometimes, there are just too many hats to wear...
Old February 4, 2010, 08:02 PM   #45
Olympus

I understand the feeling! It gets addictive...

Old February 5, 2010, 05:46 AM   #46
To3T@g

ok olympus,im sold! i need a pair for my kimber grand raptor2! im very fond of those new spalted maple ones and i love the grain and color on the ones u say have ur"double bevel cut" what kind of wood is that? and what do u want for both of the ones i hve just mentioned? i can pay asap!
Old February 5, 2010, 05:52 AM   #47
To3T@g

i love the desert iron wood aswell! i just bought grips online yesterday for my sigp238 and here is the web site i got them off of WWW.CUSTOMIZEDCREATIONZ.COM the grips this guy makes for the p238 would be easy for u to create aswell since there just a 1911 variation. id buy some from u for my p238 if u made some just to have a set from u. i really like ur work and ive allways wanted to make custom grips myself. then again ive allways wanted to do custom engraving aswell lol.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:48 AM   #48
Olympus

To3T@g...

sent you a PM.

Last edited by Olympus; February 5, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:37 PM   #49
Evyl Robot

I've got a plank of English yew that I bought for another purpose for which it is not going to work. I'd thought about chopping it up and making 1911 grips...
Old February 5, 2010, 02:50 PM   #50
Olympus

Some of the best looking wood comes from unexpected places. The best way to figure out if you're going to like the wood is to cut a small piece and look at the grain. I usually wipe the wood down with mineral spirits. This will give you a better idea of what the wood will look like once you apply a finish. Most woods look plain and dull, but if you wipe them with a little mineral spirits you will see a lot more detail.

Depending on the thickness of the plank, you can usually cut a retangle out and flip it on its edge and resaw it get two pieces.

Be careful, after making that first set it's easy to get addicted.

Closed Thread