The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2017, 07:30 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

What do you use for your reloading bench?

My current setup is less than ideal and I'm in the market for a new bench. I don't have a lot of space as my targeted location is also my exercise and music room.

I'm looking at used desks on Craiglist.

What do you use?
Old November 16, 2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Wishoot

I use one of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/...and-vise/wm225

Very sturdy and easy to move around.

For organization, you can use an inexpensive plastic shelf and ammo cans.

Last edited by Wishoot; November 16, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:18 AM   #3
GeorgeandSugar

I purchased a Husky Work bench at Home Depot. I use another work bench, a long table purchased from Costco to clean my firearms and process brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 16, 2017, 08:41 AM   #4
OzeanJaeger

I bought a 2” butcher block top from butcherblockco.com, blemished/second, a couple of 2x4s and some plywood, and built a rock solid bench with “2X4 Basics” shelving fittings and legs. It goes together with just long drywall screws. I was going to anchor it to the stud wall, but that proved unnecessary because it’s so solid.

Not quite as easy as the rolling tool cart, but I built it all for about $150, and you can make it any size you want.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:51 AM   #5
hounddawg

Over the years I reloaded on everything from a picnic table on the back deck to a workmate with a piece of outdoor ply clamped to the top in a one car garage. Last summer I decided to break down and build a nice one to replace one that I had slapped together with 2 by's that had never even been painted. I used scrap red oak , maple and poplar left over from past projects.

I protect the figured maple top with a piece of clear carpet runner. Bins are easy access plastic storage, aluminum strip along front allows me to clip the small colored plastic storage bins which can be seen on the top to hold cases and bullets when loading. Everything is labeled and in it's place for a change. It is amazing how a little organization has made reloading easier and more relaxing.

Last edited by hounddawg; November 16, 2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The old stand by:
Old steel CPA's office desk. That's adapted to mount my RCBS lubesizer2 (pig iron made) Rockchucker press_ Lee Progressive 1000 and a old worn out Pacific single stage press I purchased new that is now used to swage lead cast smaller in caliber.

These days I do most of my rifle cartridge reloading i.e. (30-30 paper patching) while sitting in my recliner watching MSNBC or CNN. I loath watching either show so that causes me to pay closer attention to my patching hobby/reloadings and I seem to get allot more done y'll.
Old November 16, 2017, 10:48 AM   #7
OzeanJaeger

Now that there is funny!

My wife’s grandfather was a Bronze Star recipient at the BOB, and he and I had about the same worldview. He looked at me one time and said, “I like to watch Obama on TV.” I guess I had a shocked expression on my face. He smiled and said, “I like being angry!’
Old November 16, 2017, 01:08 PM   #8

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-...Id=prod1480010
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 16, 2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
I use one of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/...and-vise/wm225

Very sturdy and easy to move around.

For organization, you can use an inexpensive plastic shelf and ammo cans.
For reference...

Old November 16, 2017, 04:25 PM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
For reference...
That's actually what I've been using lately, and it's just too unstable for me. YMMV.

Formerly, I had a bench I constructed out of 2X12s and 2X4s which I bolted to the wall studs. Not very pretty and was definitely permanent, but given my criteria I guess I'll do that again.

And some of those benches in this thread? I think you guys just shoot so you'll have an excuse to reload.
Old November 16, 2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
That's actually what I've been using lately, and it's just too unstable for me. YMMV.

Formerly, I had a bench I constructed out of 2X12s and 2X4s which I bolted to the wall studs. Not very pretty and was definitely permanent, but given my criteria I guess I'll do that again.

And some of those benches in this thread? I think you guys just shoot so you'll have an excuse to reload.
That's too bad. Mine is about 20 years old. Maybe the newer one's aren't as stable,
Old November 16, 2017, 04:52 PM   #12
Hammerhead

I use a heavy wood desk that i re
enforced with some diagonal bracing.
Old November 16, 2017, 06:11 PM   #13
hounddawg

Quote:
3 months ago that was what I had, other than mine was free standing. It served me well for about 8 years, but it was uglier than a mud fence and I could not keep my cases and components organized

Quote:
and the Magic 8 Ball says " maybe"
Old November 16, 2017, 06:42 PM   #14
Kwik2010

I Just have an old welding table and use an old microwave stand for accessory storage. I'll upload a picture when I get home.

Last edited by Kwik2010; January 5, 2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old November 16, 2017, 06:53 PM   #15
RC20

I have used a Closet shelf (beefed up) and a folding work bench thing.

I concur a heavy top table is by far the best.

You can build legs but a heavy top helps (more so with rifle)

My build in work bench would not work for you (and its ugly)

I have an old Sear drawer and door base that serves as the tumbler, vice for trimming (my version of a motorized Gerard) and barrel work.

Cheap top and I have the replacement for it in the shed and goes on this winter.

Have to get some kind of top on the old work bench.

Considering lock together flooring. Screw and glue it down and all new.
Old November 16, 2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Tsquared

About 25 years ago my father-in-law was involved with a remodel with his work. They had these heavy pressed wood double door cabinets and desks they were going to toss in the dump. I got two of the cabinets for ammo and ammo reloading storage. I have the desk as my press bench. The desk is heavy enough it doesn't need to be anchored. It is not pretty but it is functional.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:01 PM   #17
hdwhit

I built my own out of 2x4 dimensional timber, a 1/2 inch piece of waferboard for the benchtop, a number of 1/4 inch 3 inch long lag screws and a table saw.

I later added drawer sliders and built drawers to go underneath.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:03 PM   #18
BBarn

I have made three of them from lumber and made a fourth by replacing the metal top of a machinists bench with a plywood top. 2X4 or 4X4 legs, 2X4 braces, and plywood top and lower shelves. Usually have shelves on top made with a combination of 1X8 and 2X8 boards. Tops are usually sandwiched plywood, usually 1 1/2" made from 3/4". Makes for a very sturdy bench that easily handles anything you want to set on it, or you can sit on it yourself.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:21 PM   #19
ams-texas

Like others I also use a B&D Workmate. The top is a double layer of MDF with a formica top and poplar edging. I've added a removable intermediate shelf to hold my reloading books and a removable bottom shelf to store all of my bullets and other things. With the weight of the top and bullets (probably 100-200 pounds) it is surprisingly stable.

Old November 16, 2017, 08:29 PM   #20
lamarw

Three old Lowes wood work benches attached to each other and covered by a couple of sheets of 3/4" plywood.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:50 PM   #21
bacardisteve

When we bought our home last winter the basement was unfinished. I framed up a bench and tied it into the floor joist and anchored it into the concrete with my Ramsey. I used 2x4 and 3/4" hardwood plywood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0167-1.JPG (165.0 KB, 78 views)
Old November 16, 2017, 10:36 PM   #22
PoiDog

I built one of those benches from the NRMA in 1999 when I got back into reloading after a hiatus. I liked it so much, I built another bottom portion to use as a regular work bench, with a vise mounted on it.

Sturdy as can be, rock solid, and not expensive to build. It works for me.
Old November 16, 2017, 10:39 PM   #23
Metal god

I use two desks in my dedicated reloading/gun room . These are pretty old pics but from when I first converted the room but it's pretty much the same it just has much more stuff in it now .

I made a way to mount multiple things to the desk like powder measure , trimmer , vise etc

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 16, 2017, 10:43 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Solid core doors as the bench tops, door jams for a frame around the doors, and scrap hardwood for the rest of the bench.

The last bench that I built was intended to have a 'quick change' system built in for presses, bullet sizers, case trimmers, etc., but life got in the way.
I won't be finishing this bench in that manner, but the next one will have provisions for at least two press positions (at the same time), plus two or more hard-mounting points.

I did get power integrated into this bench, and am very glad that I did it. (Two always-on outlets, plus two switched outlets, plus lighting control.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old November 16, 2017, 10:47 PM   #25
Metal god

I keep all my dies , small hand tools , lubes , check weights , ready to load brass etc in all the drawers

As seen in post above . I also keep everything else of importance with in reach of the chair . I just need to turn in one direction or the other and just grab what I need . I really like my set up . The only thing I don't like is my back is to the door .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM.