The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2017, 01:41 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

Shot placement is paramount- even with a shotgun. Don't fool yourself.
In one of the incidents I mentioned above, the man was shot in the right chest. The wadding penetrated to his spine. He lived. He ran 35 yards before dropping from blood loss. Buckshot would have made no difference.
Old October 23, 2017, 07:35 PM   #27
mehavey

Quote:
If the distance is less than 6 yards [the length of the longest hall in my house], birdshot
will work without as much fear of hitting my granddaughter through the wall....
"Bird"shot at household ranges will -- I say again -- WILL go through both sides of dual-sided drywall pretty much as a solid mass
Start at 3:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29mEJFFIvo

Don't kid yourself.....
It will kill whatever's on the other side deader than a doornail... and make a mess while doing it.
Old October 24, 2017, 06:10 AM   #28
darkgael

https://1source.basspro.com/images/k...n_shot_800.jpg

Depending on your choice of choke....your load will start to “spread” in two directions the moment that it leaves the muzzle. It will begin to get wider and it will begin to get longer.
The link above illustrates what is expected at different ranges. It is pretty much in line with other estimates of spread that are available.
Cylinder choke - you can expect two inches a yard.
Your experience may vary of course but these are the common figures.

Full choke - one inch a yard.
Old October 24, 2017, 06:55 AM   #29
mehavey

This is standard E-Cheapo buckshot at 25 yards out of a 20" straight cylinder Model-12

That's 1½ - 1¾” at 3-4 yards – dining/living room – and effectively a slug
I’ll run a AA#8 skeet load at 3 yards tonight, but the pattern is clear…

Do NOT even think that a shotgun load will not penetrate household walls as anything but a near solid mass—and kill anything on the other side.
Old October 24, 2017, 11:48 AM   #30
darkgael

It will be interesting to see what happens with the birdshot.
What you are probably going to find is what other researchers have found: that buckshot patterns tighter than birdshot. This has been my own experience.
There is a wealth of info about this on the net.
Birdshot expands, as noted in the NRA Firearms Fact Book, and the Bass Pro info that i linked earlier, at about two inches a yard. At five yards, you will have about 10 inches (buckshot about half that. Maybe less if your pattern holds true.), cylinder bore.

Here is yet another link:
http://modernsurvivalonline.com/shot...2-gauge-loads/

Last edited by darkgael; October 24, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 24, 2017, 06:34 PM   #31
mehavey

Note the center portion of the remaining shotcup continues as a diminishingly solid mass as range increases.
All those who would use a 12ga: Note/step off the real distances you will be dealing with and plan accordingly

Last edited by mehavey; October 24, 2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old October 24, 2017, 10:20 PM   #32
darkgael

Nice. You do good work.
A25 target...9 ring four inches, 8 ring six inches, 7 ring eight inches as noted.

Last edited by darkgael; October 24, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:07 PM   #33
jfruser

Assailants shot with bird shot in the torso often live to see the paramedics/med techs, then maaybe to the ER, then the OR, then the med surge floor to recover (generally a year-long, excruciating, and messy process that often ends up with colostomy bags and even worse impairments after all the healing is done). Some don't make it off med surge, what with sepsis, clots, etc.

Assailants shot with buckshot or slugs in the torso generally do not live to see a med tech/paramedic, don't make it live to the ER, or the OR, or med surge. That is because they died at the scene. Matter of fact, in a large metro area with beau coup GSWs per year, at the Level I trauma center over a 5 year period, not a single shootee who got shot with buck or a slug in the torso made it to med surge.

Anyways, I would load up with slugs, except my neighbors are too close. So 00 or 000 buck it is, along with an understanding of my home's layout and likely lines of fire.