The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Fusion

Scope Shield Alaska Scope Cover Review

For the past several weeks I’ve been using a Scope Shield Alaska scope cover to protect my SWFA SS 3-9x42. I’d previously been using the Butler Creek flip up covers, but after breaking several newer ones, I realized the current production ones weren’t going to work for the type of hunting I do. After the positive things I’d heard about these covers, I wanted to pick one up to try for myself, and I figured a review might even help make up the minds of others if they are considering this cover. After I starting using the Scope Shield Alaska I learned that another huge advantage to it is that in addition to just protecting the lens, it protects the whole scope very well, which I figured it would from looking at it.

Let me start out by commenting on the fit of the Scope Shield Alaska cover. It fits snugly around the scope, while having a loop that fits loosely around the gun that holds the cover to the gun.

To remove the cover, you lift up the tab on the rear of it, and flick it forward, which sling shots it off of the scope.

I was impressed by the fit of this, and was worried about it having trouble fitting over the turrets on this scope, but it fits very well as you can see in the pictures. The one and only problem I saw here was that without using a sling or bipod on the rifle, when I tried to get the cover off of the scope, the whole thing often shot off of the end of the gun, and I had to pick it up off of the ground. Now, this isn’t an issue if you also have a sling or bipod on the gun because you can hook the loop behind it. However, in 90% of my hunting situations I use neither, so this was a small issue for me. I feel like I’m probably in the minority here in that regard. I think that if they marketed either a piece that looked nice to hook it onto the front sling stud, or a model with a strap that you could tighten up around the gun for the people using them on a gun without a sling stud, that this would probably be a popular seller. You can obviously tie it off to the sling stud with a zip tie, or a similar device, but it doesn’t look as nice as it could if a piece was made to do this.
Now, let’s move onto the actual use of it. With the type of hunting I do, I’m pretty hard on the scope. Scopes don’t last long on my hunting guns before they are covered in scratches. Since this was the first year I’d ever used this scope, it was a great test. The only time I scratched the scope, was before I used this cover. It worked great at protecting both the lens and the actual scope because at the end of the season it still looks better than any of the other scopes on my guns that I do this type of hunting with. After a week of hard hunting my buddy’s scope with no cover had the lens full of dirt, dust, and grime that we had to clean off, while mine remained relatively clean. I also hunted with it in severe rain for several days. I found that in light rain, it did a very good job of keeping the scope dry and the lens clear and fog free. After sitting in the pouring rain for a couple of hours, not only did I become soaked, but so did the entire gun. At this point, the scope cover was soaked to the point that water had leaked through to the scope, and I found the whole scope, lens included drenched in water. However, I can’t blame the scope cover for this, because in this type of storm, and other method of covers I’ve found has also left the lens soaked. I felt it did a really good job in rough weather, and as good if not a better job than most of the other products out there that I’ve used.

When I had 3 deer walk up behind me, I found flicking the cover off of the scope was quick and painless. I won’t say that flicking it off is 100% silent, but it’s quiet enough that the 3 deer standing behind me never heard it, so noise isn’t an issue at all with this. It’s a lot quieter than the pop of the previous flip ups I was using, which is another positive to this cover.

Since I’ve not used this long term, I can’t comment on the long term durability, but I don’t foresee any issues. I put it through the wringer during the couple of weeks that I used it, and I don’t see any signs of it even being used. It feels durable, and all seams appear to be sewn together very well. I just don’t see how you could break this unless you do something crazy with it, and I certainly didn’t have any problems, which is impressive considering a few of the times I was walking with it off, I had it snag on various things and pull on it fairly hard. It just held up really well. I’ve also used it during my few range trips, and it’s worked extremely well there as well.

Overall, I really like this cover, and I’d highly recommend it for nearly any shooter that would like to protect their investment. If anyone has any questions, or would like more details, just ask. I’m sure that either I or another user of this same cover can address them for you.

Please do not repost this review in part, or in whole, without listing me as the source.
Thanks

Last edited by Fusion; January 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM.