The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1
TheDeej

gun safes... need help picking the right fit

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, and I did a search, but to no avail. Modds, I'm sorry if im wrong in my placement, but by all means move it to the correct place. Thanks!

I have never owned a gun safe. My wife and I have bought land and just bought a used mobile home to put on the land until our home we are building is finished. I don't own more than a couple rifles, four plus a soon to be mine ar. But I have A LOT of handguns, roughly twenty give or take at anytime as I trade in and out often.

Here is my real problems. The tallest closet I have with a permanent shelf is 4'8". There is also a maximum weight (factory specs) is 300lbs on any given floor space other than the kitchen, with is reinforced. I went to my local shop and is mind boggled in the different options. The prices are high, but well under the price paid for my firearm investment. I have gone to two home improvement stores (both big box) and have found safest that look and seem to be the same make up as the expensive ones at the at the local outdoors store.

Is there anything I should look for/avoid when it comes to vaults? Is there a better/ worse generic company I can buy that's not as expensive but still offers the same amount of protection?

I am having a small walk-in vault build in my new house that is 6x6 in size, climate controlled, steel walled, and fire rated that's less than a most closet safes.
Thanks all
Old October 5, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
7jinxed7

Weight is going to be a real problem in a mobile home. Most good safes are several hundred pounds and up. The winchester safes seem to be a good buy.

Here's some info to read up on before you buy a safe.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
Old October 5, 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
ohen cepel

May be worth it to get a "job box" from Home Depot for the handguns and a smaller safe for the long rifles. Bolt both down/to the wall the best you can since you can't put a lot of weight in them.

However, with two of them you can spread the weight out better.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old October 5, 2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Putting something heavy in a mobile home is probably going to be your waterloo. Any chance the built-in safe at the new home could be completed soon and the rest of the house built around it? Then put yer stuff in it. Or, possibly rent a storage space and put a safe in there. Not perfect but a partial solution.
Old October 5, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
a1abdj

The mobile home will be a problem in a few areas. You could get more than 300 pounds in there so long as you reinforce the floor where the safe will be sitting, AND, reinforce the floor along the path the safe will take to get there.

If it was a 400 pound safe, I would just lay some plywood down and roll over it. If it was a 1,000 pound safe, you'd have to beef it up from beneath, even if it was temporary.

There are a few gun safe manufacturers that build shorter shelf only safes that would work out well for you as far as the pistols go.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
TheDeej

I think I'm pretty much at the mercy of the contractor. He doesn't think he will have the safe room built and plumbed for air for six month. I also forget to inform you all that the foundation hasn't been completed. I looked at a small pistol safe that I can bolt down. The rifles are a different story. My father has a large set up, as he is a quasi collector, I can leave my rifles with. I have a couple guns I always have around, my house guns, and the shotgun is.one of them. Where can i lock it up when I'm at work?
Old October 5, 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
JWT

Both Sentry and Stack On have lower end safes for long guns that should 'work' for you. They may not offer as much protection as their bigger brothers, but they can be bolted down, have combination locks, and weigh less than 200 lbs and are less than 4 ft 8 inches. Readily available at a number of sporting goods stores as well as Amazon.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8
TheDeej

JWT, thanks. I'm on it, I'll check into them and get back to you all.
Old October 13, 2011, 07:58 PM   #9
saands

If it is just one shotgun that you need to secure, maybe a safe isn't the best approach ... you might consider a locking wall mount like this:
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?id=519

They are under $50 and if you put it on a sturdy wall (again the Mobile home might be an issue), they are pretty solid and you can hang a jacket on them and they just look like coat rack.

That would free you up to look at more cube shaped boxes for your handguns. On that note, I'd seriously consider leaving half of the pistols with your father ... worst case, you end up with an excuse to go see the folks.

Saands
Old October 13, 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
GURU1911

Picking a gun safe

Guru1911 words of wisdom:

"choose the biggest one you can afford & the model you think you will never outgrow, then buy the next largest size"

no charge for the consultation !!!!!!!

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old October 14, 2011, 08:40 AM   #11
JWT

Truer words were never spoken Guru. I need a bigger one but have no room for it and my wife is not anxious for me to take up 'her' closet space. So I put everything in gun socks and then can stack the guns in a bit tighter without marring them.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:54 PM   #12
GURU1911

THANKS J-W-T

Thanks for the atta-boy, regarding my words of wisdom when purchasing a gun safe. Was at my local "bass pro" store about a month ago & a fellow was looking at their selection of gun safes. I ask him if i could assist as the store sales rep was just standing there & not saying a word.

I ask him which one he had decided on & then shared my wisdom with him---he purchased the next size up, thanked me, then the sales rep got the commission !!!!! Dang-it

guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old October 15, 2011, 12:13 AM   #13
hoghunting

Quote:
"choose the biggest one you can afford & the model you think you will never outgrow, then buy the next largest size"
While that might be good advice, this is his problem:

Quote:
The tallest closet I have with a permanent shelf is 4'8". There is also a maximum weight (factory specs) is 300lbs on any given floor space other than the kitchen, with is reinforced.
Buying a larger safe doesn't help him.
Old October 15, 2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Mello2u

There is so much to learn about "gun safes" which are usually not safes at all but Residential Security Containers (RSC).

I have read many posts by a1abdj. He is in the business and has forgotten more than I have learned in over a 100 hours of internet searching and reading.

Educate yourself and make an informed decision. It will safe you money and possibly safe your collection for getting stolen.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 17, 2011, 10:28 AM   #15
LaCane

Google a product's name, along with the word "complaint". I researched plenty before choosing a Sturdy Safe. IMO I could not have made a better choice.
Old October 17, 2011, 01:55 PM   #16
a1abdj

Quote:
IMO I could not have made a better choice.
Safes are an interesting product. Even though you use it daily, it's not really used for its intended purpose. You'll never know if it was the right choice or not until you're the victim of a burglary or a fire.

The best one can do it to talk to a professional that has seen these things in person, and can explain the differences so that you may make an educated decision. It's a bit more difficult to do that type of research online.