The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 20, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Orentruitt

Kar 98 markings

OK, I have something that is a real curiosity. I just picked up a Kar 98 (K98 as it is usually known) It has the laminated wood stock but the only markings I can find are the serial number, commercial Mauser banner stamped on the top of the front end of the receiver and an odd mark stamped on the left front of the receiver and left side of the barrel. The stamp I have not been able to identify looks like the round symbol on the Chinese Nationalist flag, sort of like a sunburst contained in a circle. Beneath that is the number 29 Serial number is prefixed with letter C number 33xxx

Those are the only markings I can find. All serial numbers match other than the bolt. I've checked the books I have but can not identify the round stamp and number. Any help would be appreciated.

Oren T
Old January 20, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Darren007

Quote:
The stamp I have not been able to identify looks like the round symbol on the Chinese Nationalist flag, sort of like a sunburst contained in a circle.
I think you answered your own question. Many K98s that were rejected at the factories for various reasons other than safety were sold to the Chinese.
Old January 20, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are other symbols that look like the Chinese marking (like the Siamese chakra) so a picture would help. Also, does the rifle have a straight bolt handle or is it turned down?

It could be Chinese. Prior to the German-Japanese alliance in 1936 and Japan's invasion of China in 1937, China was a major purchaser of Mauser rifles. Before 1934, those guns were the Mauser Standard Modell, rifles that were nearly identical to the K.98k. After the adoption of the K.98k in 1934, the Mauser commercial models were taken from K.98k production and are identical to that rifle except for the Mauser banner commercial marking. China also made copies of both rifles in-country.

Jim